about Advents

Options
My house is almost devoid of speakers w/ the exception of the Polk 2Bs. All my other sets sold on C/L over time and I did ok or didn't lose on any of them. I've owned Advent Prodigy and were ok an 8" nice sounding speaker. I was gifted by my bro-inlaw a nice set of larger Maestros. They are larger and have this foam lining on the driver board. This I never saw done on any speaker before and what is it's purpose.
One other thing it seems that Advent always used Pecan as their focal wood trim. This to me is a beahnu0moxla83l.jpg
5glj8sfzhk0h.jpg
utiful wood and also wonder why it's not used more, unless they cut them all down.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    The foam is for diffracting/absorbing the sound waves on the front baffle.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    That foam has left me....baffled.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The Kloss-era Advents didn't have any pecan trim -- that came way later (the Jensen era, methinks).

AK has a pretty good checklist for Advents in their "speaker" stickies.

The foam baffle was a thing for a while. The Cizek speakers had it, too, e.g.
    It didn't age very well :-(

Pecans are street trees down where my father spent the last few years of his life (southern North Carolina); folks go around with paper bags collecting pecans when they're ripe down there.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The Kloss-era Advents didn't have any pecan trim -- that came way later (the Jensen era, methinks).

AK has a pretty good checklist for Advents in their "speaker" stickies.

The foam baffle was a thing for a while. The Cizek speakers had it, too, e.g.
    It didn't age very well :-(

Pecans are street trees down where my father spent the last few years of his life (southern North Carolina); folks go around with paper bags collecting pecans when they're ripe down there.

Yup, southern NC., that's me too.

I had the BIGGEST pecan tree in my area. HAD.

It's partly why I bought this house. My neighbors could have as many pecans as they wanted as long as I got my share first.

The BIGGEST crop of pecans my tree ever produced was still green and fully grown like they were on steroids but they had to dry out in the fall before they were to open and drop. Well Floyd and some other hurricane came a month apart. One in August and one in September. The 1st one blew almost all the pecans off. Thousands of premature pecans. The second hurricane blew my tree over because the ground got so soaked from the previous one and subsequent rainfall.

My neiborhood HATED to see it leaned over. It was massive and it almost spanned two yards. The neighbors told me later they would watch MY TREE to judge the strength of the gusts of wind and to see if it would topple. well it's gone now and the lumber that tree could've produced had to be tons of solid lumber boards.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Always saddens me to read of the demise of a mighty tree. I am a biologist at heart, after all (even if not a botanist).

My father was in Shelby, NC for the last few years of his life. Birthplace of Earl Scruggs*. :) Nice little town.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Those look to be in pretty nice shape. The foam is often severely deteriorated by now. AFAIK, the Maestro is the same as the 6003 without the funky trapezoidal shaped cabinet. Also, the only 3-way Advent ever produced. That doughnut midrange is intriguing.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited January 2018
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Always saddens me to read of the demise of a mighty tree. I am a biologist at heart, after all (even if not a botanist).

My father was in Shelby, NC for the last few years of his life. Birthplace of Earl Scruggs*. :) Nice little town.

I've been though Shelby a few times but in the past. 20 years ago. I LOVED that town!

I always thought it would be the ideal place to retire too.

I'm glad your Dad got a chance to live there for a few years. He picked a great place.

i rember it being one of the cleanest main streets I'd ever seen. And the lawns and trees looked manicured and luscious! I know the winters get bad up there but I like snow so it wouldn't bother me if I had heat and food and a check coming in every month.

I think I stopped into a ford dealership with my boss for something there and saw a pristine Shelby GT parked in a corner in the garage area. This was a spotless garage too. I asked a guy about it and he said it was the dealership owner's pride and joy.

Shelby NC. . <3 Beautiful place in the mountains or semi-mountainous mountains.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.