New AVR needed. Looking for advice.

maxward
maxward Posts: 1,491
I’m relatively new here and noticed that many members have pretty nice looking home theater systems. Mine is not as high-priority as my stereo, but okay. My elderly Yamaha AVR (HTR-5560) just gave up the ghost. I briefly thought about having a local technician look at it, but since it was bought the whole home theater landscape has changed (no HDMI inputs on it). So it will go to the electronics bin at the recycling center. My speakers are relatively efficient, so I’m not looking for more power. The Denon AVR-S730H at $429 is probably what I’d get, absent any advice to the contrary. Budget is $350 to $500, but could stretch it another $100 if there is good reason to do so. There is nothing on the local Craigslist or Audiogon that currently interests me. Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike

Answers

• maxward
    Thanks for the suggestions! I was not aware of A4L.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    It's a little secret that we like to share with people looking for AVRs for cheap :)

Let us know what you end up going with :)
    maxward wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions! I was not aware of A4L.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A4L mostly sells refurbs which come with a limited warranty. Could be a better choice than buying used. If you want new, the Denon 2300 model is in your price range while they clear them out for the new model that didn’t change much...

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X2300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01E69LWWA
  • maxward
    Thanks. I’m not sure if refurbished would scare me off, but it’s good to know.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The refurbs from A4Less are factory refurbs and mostly include a 1 year *factory* warranty.

Buy with confidence as I have yet to hear of A4Less *not* stepping up to the plate if there is an issue.

I have bought a few things from them and directed friends and relatives there without hesitation. Good people to deal with.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    I have purchase several AVR's from A4L over the past few years with zero issues. If you catch them at the right time you can find some really nice receivers at some really great prices.
  • maxward
    Thanks, ZLTFUL and D’prived. That’s good to hear. I’m likely going to give A4L a try. The choices are somewhat bewildering, despite the fact that they don’t carry all the brands I’d consider, like NAD and Sony. Online “reviews” and manufacturers’ websites are marginally useful. It’s as if last years model no longer exists, so not always easy to figure out what’s new and whether it matters. Plus, I’m hopelessly uninformed about the latest trends and technologies.
  • I can comment on the Denon avrx 3300 which I am currently using it is a very nice and capable receiver. My sister in law is running he avrx 1400 and my son is running the avrx 1400h this years model. They are all very nice receivers and should suit you well for years to come.
  • maxward
    Thank you, firsttimer. Denon and Marantz are both on my short list. I need to decide if Heos is worthwhile. If so, then only the latest models make the cut.
  • I personally do not think Heos is any type of deal breaker.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    This week Fry's promo code the Denon 4400 is $899. A lot out of your budget but a great deal on a monster aVR
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • maxward
    Thanks. I checked their promo page on their website and it was $1199. Maybe they realized it was a mistake.
  • I have never had an issue with 3 Yamaha receivers I've purchased in the past. My next one will be a Yamaha when I get one with Dolby Atmos.

For $599, I think you would be extremely happy. That would be my vote for you!

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1050bl/yamaha-rx-a1050-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • maxward
    Thanks @GospelTruth and others for the advice and for informing me about A4L. I was not really considering Yamaha since it was my Yamaha that quit on me without any apparent reason. Also, there were too many different Yamaha models at and close to my original budget. Confusing to say the least. Then I looked at the RX-A1050 you suggested. I ended up ordering that model, their last one it turns out. I noticed that the layout of the back panel was a little neater than the cheaper models. Also, it’s over 10 pounds heavier than any of the others I had been looking at. I’m guessing that companies don’t add weight to AVRs without good reason, and this probably results in a more robust power supply, chassis and heat sinks than the cheaper models. Should arrive next week.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
    maxward wrote: »
    Thanks @GospelTruth and others for the advice and for informing me about A4L. I was not really considering Yamaha since it was my Yamaha that quit on me without any apparent reason. Also, there were too many different Yamaha models at and close to my original budget. Confusing to say the least. Then I looked at the RX-A1050 you suggested. I ended up ordering that model, their last one it turns out. I noticed that the layout of the back panel was a little neater than the cheaper models. Also, it’s over 10 pounds heavier than any of the others I had been looking at. I’m guessing that companies don’t add weight to AVRs without good reason, and this probably results in a more robust power supply, chassis and heat sinks than the cheaper models. Should arrive next week.

• maxward wrote: »

I think you'll be happy with it. I stay away from the lower end Yamahas. Not that they are necessarily bad, but I don't think they have the same build quality as the others. All mine continue to function.
    • I have an RX-V2095 from 1998 that is still in mint condition and just keeps on chugging. I have that one connected to our living room TV.
    • I have an RX-V3800 for my theater that still runs like a champ as well - circa 2005.
    • Finanlly, I have another RX-V1 I picked up for $200 6 years ago to use as a beginner amp/preamp with my SDA 2Bs. That thing is built like a tank as well and I see no signs of that dying. I use it as a preamp with a Parasound 2250 now.
    I'll be looking at the Aventage line when I come around to replacing my RX-V3800 for the theater. Everything I read about them sounds positive.

As with all electronics, make sure you have some good surge protection/voltage regulation if you can. I think this helps keep your electronics from ending life prematurely.

Looking forward to your review once you get it.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • maxward
    Thanks, again, @GospelTruth and others. I spent more than I planned, but this is a very nice AVR for $600. Many improvements over the old Yamaha.