4K televisions and HT rig....

Options
shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
edited January 2018 in The Clubhouse
So, I have been reading and might be in the market soon for a new television. I have an older samsung that has served me extremely well, but seems to be heading towards retirement. I have read that the new 4K televisions may not work with AVR's that are not 4K compliant without some workarounds. In total honesty, I used to help friends and family set-up their televisions and home theaters, but when the "smart" tv's came around, I always spent a lot of hours feeling dumb and trying to undo some of the "smart" technology that they didn't need or want.

That said, when I "upgrade" my television, I would rather not have to buy a whole new AVR or pre. Is there any easy workaround to having older equipment still work with the 4K televisions. I assume that I will have to sacrifice whatever the 4K technology offers if there is a bypass.....but just trying to get a feel of what to expect and how to optimize with a newer 4k television without upgrading all of my equipment. Thanks as always for any advice you guys can give.

My limited understanding is that all I would have to do is run an optical cable from the TV to my Marantz.......surely it cannot be that easy can it?

Take Care,
Shawn
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    It is that easy. I have a 4K set and use a old (mid 80s ish) Yamaha integrated amp. I run the optical to an DAC then analog to my integrated. Previous I used an optical to my Marantz SR7000, pre outs to the yamaha then to my SDA2Bs.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    for video, I just run the HDMI from my Oppo 203 to the TV. Oppo also provides an audio out HDMI that I run to my pre, which is an old Onkyo SC5509. Works great. I think the Onkyo would also pass the video straight through, but with the Oppo I don't need that ability.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    There are workarounds and you wouldn't need to change anything. Unless you have a 4K source you can continue to run everything through the pre. If you want to use the apps (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc) included on a smart TV you can run the audio from the optical out on the TV into the pre. Whatever you feed the TV will be displayed upscaled at the set's fixed 4K display. The Marantz pre has HDMI version 1.4a. If at some point you wanted to get a 4K Blu Ray Player you would want to get one with two HDMI outputs and run the full output one straight to the TV and the secondary audio output to the pre. Easy.
  • shawn474
    Options
    Wow, Ok thanks guys. Guess I was just thinking that the optical cable workaround was too good to be true. So my question is, since the video is being processed through the AVR, would it not output the video at 4K? Or am I making too much of this - the audio is solved with the optical cable.....would the video be downscaled at all when running through the Pre/AVR?
    Shawn
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Do you have any 4K sources? If not just run it through the receiver like you currently do. The TV will upscale to 4K for you.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I'm not certain, but I don't think the AV-7005 has the bandwidth to pass a 1080P upscaled to 4K signal from a Blu Ray player through its HDMI output. As DaveHo says, the TV will do the upscaling if that is the case. You would want to run the HDMI cable into the pre from a Blu Ray player as the TV will most likely not output anything other than plain Dolby Digital through its optical output.
  • shawn474
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot guys. Appreciate the feedback.
    Shawn
  • recoveryone
    Options
    I'll add 2 more cents

Most new 4k TV's have a network connection (cat5) to have the built in Chromecast/Roku or some other smart app system. If you are able to connect to your network and use one of the apps (VUDU/Netflicks/Amazon) you will be able to stream 4k content and use the ARC via HDMI or the Optical to have the sound play from your AVR.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • shawn474
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'll add 2 more cents

Most new 4k TV's have a network connection (cat5) to have the built in Chromecast/Roku or some other smart app system. If you are able to connect to your network and use one of the apps (VUDU/Netflicks/Amazon) you will be able to stream 4k content and use the ARC via HDMI or the Optical to have the sound play from your AVR.

Seems like I could do that.....I had Ethernet run to old the avr for the media player so could that work to network it in? I have a stand-alone roku player as well. I just dislike all the pre installed widgets and apps and “smart” tv stuff......I know I sound like my grandfather here!!!!
    Shawn
  • recoveryone
    Options
    It should not be an issue as the TV will just view it as another input/source
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Easiest way is to not run video through the receiver at all and use the TV as your "switch". This is because non 4K capable receivers cannot pass through a 4k signal. Hook all video sources (streamer, UHD blu ray, XBOX etc) directly to the TV via HDMI and then run single optical to the receiver and voila. Or you can use the arc output as mentioned above to accomplish the same thing if your receiver supports arc.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • shawn474
    Options
    I do have the ARC output on my pre. I have a cable box, bluray player and Roku so would need at least 3 HDMI inputs (ideally more in case I expand the system) for the new television when I am ready. This is all good information; thanks again
    Shawn