Carver M 500t amplifier common ground?

Options
SWHALEN
SWHALEN Posts: 14
edited January 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello, i was wondering if anyone has any information on using a Carver M 500t amp with a set of SDA 1c's. I have recently acquired one and thought about using it.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Some had inverted channels. I believe this is one
  • SWHALEN
    Options
    I've been poking around a few websites and not finding the answers i need. i see on the back it has "non inverting" connections and mono connections? I know my 1c's have pin connector if this helps.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I believe it is not.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    It is not. I had one connected to SDA 2b in the past and they hated each other.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SWHALEN
    Options
    Thanks! Yep its not looking like a good fit, I was hoping someone had a way around the Carver ground issue. I've be told i can run the Carver, without the interconnect cable hooked up to the speakers? But that kinda defeats the purpose of having SDA's. And i don't want to kill both amp and speakers. I have the Carver hooked up in the basement using a Luxman R 1070 for a preamp and some ADS L810 speakers as a test set-up, it may have to stay there. I guess the next question would be does the Lux sound better on it's own without the Carver?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I loved my Luxman R-1030 so much I bought another one off of Ebay. But that was years ago! God, I wish I still had them. The sound was warm and POWERFUL for 30 watt'ers. They made my Polk Monitor 10's sound AMAZING.

Take the Carver out and see. I'd love to here the Luxman / ADS combo!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited January 2018
    Options
    All Carver M500(t) amplifiers invert one channel, thus rendering them NON-common ground. The M1.0t can be had in both common ground (about 70% of production) and non-common ground (the remaining 30%).

The “non inverting” writing you see on the back panel is in reference to the LEFT channel. The RIGHT channel is always inverted on that amp.

You CAN run the M500t WITHOUT the interconnect cable between the speakers, with no fear of ill effects - however, as you pointed out, this will not give the SDA benefit.

There is no way (realistically) to convert an M500(t) to common ground.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Options
    Had a pair of blade/blade SDA 2B's powered by a Carver M500 for years. Polk had a work around to allow using a non-common ground amplifier called an AI-1 interface cable. It was basically an isolation transformer built into an SDA interface cable. I don't recall if the AI-1 is compatible with 1C's or not, but it worked in my scenario.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Hi Ben
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Ben is correct, the AI-1 or Dreadnought will allow you to use non-common ground amps including the Carver with pin/blade SDA's and a few early blade/blade 2B and 1C's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    Had a pair of blade/blade SDA 2B's powered by a Carver M500 for years. Polk had a work around to allow using a non-common ground amplifier called an AI-1 interface cable. It was basically an isolation transformer built into an SDA interface cable. I don't recall if the AI-1 is compatible with 1C's or not, but it worked in my scenario.

It's about danged time you showed up, Ben. Dreadnaught....
  • F1nut
    Options
    Nah, Ray coined it Dreadnought.

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I was just thinking that Ben had an option. Don't be a peckerface Jesse.

Russ, could you please keep your perverted sexual fantasies to yourself? :p

I have yet to unleash the full on Lightman trolling upon you. I have made sycophants leave and never come back......
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I have yet to unleash the full on Lightman trolling upon you. I have made sycophants leave and never come back......
    Make it fappen!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    What's weird is I bought the M500t and SDA 2B's new in '87 and played it hard and loud for over 20 years without a hitch with either before finally selling it to upgrade to a home theater system. They must have built some that were common ground. If I remember correctly if there is a mono/stereo switch on the back it is common ground in stereo mode
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2018
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »

d1h56awx7ehl.jpg

Like this. Only this is a 1.0 (not my work. Mine would probably have automotive jumper cables...)

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

d1h56awx7ehl.jpg

Like this. Only this is a 1.0 (not my work. Mine would probably have automotive jumper cables...)

I’m glad that’s not your work - there’s so much wrong there, not even sure where to start... :neutral:
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• audioluvr
    Options

I’m glad that’s not your work - there’s so much wrong there, not even sure where to start... :neutral:

All I know is it works!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• daddyjt
    Options
    I am sure it does, and I meant no offense. In retrospect, my comment was harsh, and I apologize. I am an avid Carver tech, restoring and modding Carver gear for several years now. What does the daughter board behind the main filter caps do?

Also, there is a simple service bulitin to move the blue and dlack wires above the filter caps to lower the noise floor. See photo. Also, consider replacing R227 & R228, as well as ZD101 & 102, and standing them off the board to help with heat dissipation. This is a common area of concern in the inverting 1.0t.

y1av5lt9odw2.png

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• audioluvr
    Options
    This was an inverting amp. Blue and black wires were moved. As for the other questions, I have no answer. Though I am fascinated with electronics, my skill level beyond flipping the on/off switch and rotating the volume control is quite limited
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hi Ben

Hey Jesse. Had a really good root beer last weekend from a place called Woodstock Brewhouse in Woodstock VA. It's about 20 minutes south of Winchester off of 81. Decent BBQ also, but only on the weekends.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco