Turntable on top of Receiver

rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
edited January 2018 in Electronics
On a separate thread I solicited feedback on receiver for 2-channnel rig with a turntable for the girlfriend. I settled on a Yamaha R-N303, entry level with bluetooth, airplay and input for phono.

I know that you should not stack equipment on top of an amp or receiver as it may cause the unit to overheat. Space is limited and she wants to stack, can I use something as a spacer in increase airflow?

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    Answer ✓
    Some people use hockey pucks, but an inch or two might not do much for rising heat, depending on how hot the receiver gets.

Or, for about $100 you can get an AV cooling fan that would sit on top of the receiver and draw and port the heat out the front or back.
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    Answer ✓
    Back in high School that is how I had mine... Actually al lot of friends had it like that if their receiver was big enough until I learned that was the cause of some of my noise I had due to poor isolation. The receiver ( old wood case type ) would pick up vibrations more then having it on a shelf.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.