Do you ever reminisce about the old days?

Comments

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,213
    Had a pair of AR towers myself a few years later. Cant remember model tho.
  • machonemachone Posts: 971
    I still have my Advent's. I took one apart last night and have decided to rebuild the pair using the techniques I have learned here. :)
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,307
    edited January 20
    The old days ??

You mean like loose women, fast cars, cheap drugs, gas was 30 cents and a pack of smokes a buck fifty....and McDonalds hadn't sold 1 billion yet and still tasted fairly good ? Those days ??

Naaahh.....

If you mean audio wise, I used to miss my old Sonic Frontiers stuff, but after listening to the Joule it blew it away on every account. I do miss the sound of a good R2R on tubed gear though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • stones89stones89 Posts: 223
    Not till now! Cassettes, pioneer, technics, Bolivar speakers. I don't think I was going broke buying wire then but somehow still mightily enjoying the tunes.....hmmmm!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, MIT EVO, Wywires PC's
  • verbverb Posts: 2,732
    I miss my very first rig sometimes. Back in high school, rocking a pair of HPM40's. I've been thus far successfully resisting dropping coin on something that nostalgic, only to end up in a corner of the basement.
    Yes I just dated myself ...
    kychgwddrku5.png
    lppuh3wac55e.png
    f2l7u712kcq9.png

Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,370
    verb wrote: »
    I miss my very first rig sometimes. Back in high school, rocking a pair of HPM40's. I've been thus far successfully resisting dropping coin on something that nostalgic, only to end up in a corner of the basement.

Yup, that's pretty much what'll happen.
    Unless, of course, you have a dedicated hifi room.... then, you know what happens to that 1970s junk, I mean stuff.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Yup, that's pretty much what'll happen.
    Unless, of course, you have a dedicated hifi room.... then, you know what happens to that 1970s junk, I mean stuff.

Agreed. I keep thinking that I still may have my SAE amp somewhere down there ...
    kdd3us413krb.png
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    I found it !!! going through some the crap in the basement (we just moved) and behold !!! Was buried under a bunch of other boxes.
    lfeyzgwnuw9j.jpg
    :)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,214
    Fire it up and see how she sounds!!
    I found it !!! going through some the crap in the basement (we just moved) and behold !!! Was buried under a bunch of other boxes.
    lfeyzgwnuw9j.jpg

Got Dayens?
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,939
    I always look back . When I got into polk, it was my Uncles Montior 10B's connected to a Yamaha stereo Receiver. It was magic and sounded like real live music instead of a recording.
    I wanted to buy my first pair and the ones I was after was he RT16's. I went and heard them and had to have them. I wanted to pay cash so I saved my money and then went to get them. I learned they changed model years and they just came out with the brand new RT1000p's with built in subs. I hated not being able to buy the RT16's but I really liked the RT1000p's and I still get to hear them whenever I want. My Uncle has them in his family Room along with the entire RT system I had back then which was a 7.1 system
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,545
    I think I’m missing the old days that I will probably buy an lsi9
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,213
    Joey_V wrote: »

If Lsi9 is old...ur young. ;)
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,545
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

If Lsi9 is old...ur young. ;)

Lol
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    mantis wrote: »
    I always look back . When I got into polk, it was my Uncles Montior 10B's connected to a Yamaha stereo Receiver. It was magic and sounded like real live music instead of a recording.
    I wanted to buy my first pair and the ones I was after was he RT16's. I went and heard them and had to have them. I wanted to pay cash so I saved my money and then went to get them. I learned they changed model years and they just came out with the brand new RT1000p's with built in subs. I hated not being able to buy the RT16's but I really liked the RT1000p's and I still get to hear them whenever I want. My Uncle has them in his family Room along with the entire RT system I had back then which was a 7.1 system

I still have my RT1000p's !!! Use 'em for my HT setup (front mains), which is now 9.2, but started as a 5.1 !!! Swapped out the HT receivers, but just kept adding on to the RT line !!!

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 285
    DSkip wrote: »
    I reminisce about the days when I had a single setup and a smaller room. There is an intimacy in a small listening room that is hard to get in a larger space.

Yea, sure I reminisce about intimacy in small rooms. Or large rooms, fields or the back of cars. My Garrard deck, Teleton amp and Wharfedale Unit 3 kits, not so much. Though maybe the Unit 3's may have been OK if I had built them right.
    I started out with nothing and have most of it left.
  • halohalo Posts: 4,178
    It’s all part of the journey. To look back and see where you were isn’t a bad thing. If you’ve been making the right moves, you’re happier now than you were then and you’ve learned a lot along the way. If you were happier back then, ignorance is bliss but you cannot using that bell
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,582
    edited January 27
    But it's never too late. My Doctors were writing my future and it wasn't going to end well. I switched Doctors and it got better. Still, the new place was helping me better BUT they were charging 20,000.00 a MONTH to check my blood for drugs! WTF.
    I told them that was BS and I went on to ANOTHER. I refuse to be ignored or used anymore!

Only we can write our own book of our life.

Don't let others control too much of our destiny!

Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    I reminisce every time I want to get out of bed. I used to HOP out of bed.

Now, not so much.
  • warrenwarren Posts: 592
    The old days ??

You mean like loose women, fast cars, cheap drugs, gas was 30 cents and a pack of smokes 25 cents....and McDonalds hadn't sold 1 billion yet and still tasted fairly good ? Those days ?? My first speakers were ohm’s..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
    edited January 23
    Yup, 1974, I used to watch the numbers change since I had to pass a McDonalds for 1 1/2 years of high school to and from trips. I even ate there once in a blue moon.
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 263
    Would you consider an S20 instead of the LSi9?

Just for the heck of it I setup my floating vintage gear. It was my Dads but I painstakingly rebuilt it. When I was a teenager it was playing through Marantz speakers I purchased at an A&S department store, now just Polk T15's. I had also powered Elac B6 but gave them away too bass heavy boomy, briefly through Jamo thin sounding junk towers. Not that I need it but I'm considering an S20 to match with the AU-6900.

icrehcuy7vw8.jpg

Old speakers long, gone. Nope would not go back.
    51DXe7nOlZL.jpg

I guess I'm a Polk fan came into it in the late 90's Office HT has my first Polk purchase RT55 and I never gave it up, FamilyRoom Atmos HT has LSi25, LR LSiM707, MBR has the only non-polk Motion40.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 3,036
    I reminisce of the good old days. You know before digital took over the world.

The world of vinyl, corded phones, and typewriters. Even long distance phone bills, pay phones and collect calls.

Plywood bike ramps and the Hardy boys.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant

edited January 27
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Back when there was some GREAT BANDS .
    I also use to play this CD a lot on new stereo stuff when it came in. The greatest hits CD. I knew all the words!! Night Owl :D :p B)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,799
    edited January 27
    I remember when "Lonesome Loser" was on heavy rotation on the local pop station. It's a miracle that I grew up to be (slightly) normal. :p
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I remember when "Lonesome Loser" was on heavy rotation on the local pop station. It's a miracle that I grew up to be (slightly) normal. :p

HaHa, I knew I forgot the song that was about me sometimes.
    Loved that Greatest hits CD!
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,869
    Actually I think about the GOOD times way too much. So many shows,events milestones. Being a Dead head (Jerry only please) and Hot Tuna fan one can call me a fossil. I'll tell you something, the day that changed the world I believe in '82 somewhere when Quaaludes were banned. The best damn medicine ever invented...Lower link from some years ago reliving the shows I've seen/heard.

https://archive.org/post/1025378/turning-62-got-meloncohly
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc