Thinking about going tubes

Comments

• stangman67stangman67 Posts: 773
    edited January 24
    I think I’m gonna pick up a set of these rca tubes to start off with. Have heard they work well with the Backert and should fair well with the focal

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/rca-black-plate-5814wa-12au7-triple-mica
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

• tonybtonyb Posts: 28,931
    Looks like a great start to me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • verbverb Posts: 2,404
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Schiit Saga and Freya worth checking out from a cost of entry standpoint.

Hello everyone, been following this thread. I too am thinking about taking the plunge or just dipping my toes in.
    Anyone have any experience with the Schiit pre's??? Not a whole lot of in-depth reviews out there yet.

Schitt Freya for 700 bucks??? Holy Schiit!!!
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    I know there is a few on this board that have Freyas. Hopefully they will jump in, I thought for a brief second about trying one out but I haven’t heard the best about schiits sonic qualities.
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

Yea big surprise, Schiit doesn’t sound good lmao
    2 Channel

Living Room HT

• Jim ShearerJim Shearer Posts: 350
    Well, I have a Saga pre that I use w/ my Dynakitparts ST-35 and Pass designed AmpCampAmps (class A mono-blocks). I think it sounds great! Now I did swap out the stock tube (not that it's all that bad) for a nice old Sylvania 6SN7-GTA, which improved the sound stage.

Tell me where else you can get a pre that operates as a passive or a tube buffer w/ relay stepped attenuator, remote control, 5 inputs and 2 outputs that sounds great for $349?

And if you haven't heard it, then you don't know! Of course, if you have the bucks to play in the big leagues, I'm sure you can get better sound for $20K. Personally, I can't afford to go there.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
    lol....lots of real estate there Jim....between 350 bucks and 20k. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,116
    Nice Jim, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I've just been using my Saga in passive mode with no tube installed, just to get a baseline idea of it's performance. I'm loving the accuracy of the relay-stepped volume control! Makes you never want to use a traditional volume pot again.
    Well, I have a Saga pre that I use w/ my Dynakitparts ST-35 and Pass designed AmpCampAmps (class A mono-blocks). I think it sounds great! Now I did swap out the stock tube (not that it's all that bad) for a nice old Sylvania 6SN7-GTA, which improved the sound stage.

Tell me where else you can get a pre that operates as a passive or a tube buffer w/ relay stepped attenuator, remote control, 5 inputs and 2 outputs that sounds great for $349?

And if you haven't heard it, then you don't know! Of course, if you have the bucks to play in the big leagues, I'm sure you can get better sound for $20K. Personally, I can't afford to go there.

Cheers, Jim

Got Dayens?

Cheers, Jim

Ditto @clipdat on your thoughts. I read a lot of folks do indeed roll the tubes with better results. But what "tubie" or "tuber" not sure of the moniker, doesn't? If your gonna test the waters, seems like this would be the schiit.
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    edited January 30
    I actually discarded the stock tube without trying it, after reading about how bad it was. Clearly they were just interested in including a tube to give it basic function. Hey they had to get to that $349 price somehow.

I'd rather spend $30 on an entry level tube, even new production, versus using something that isn't balanced and probably has microphonics.
    verb wrote: »
    Ditto @clipdat on your thoughts. I read a lot of folks do indeed roll the tubes with better results. But what "tubie" or "tuber" not sure of the moniker, doesn't? If your gonna test the waters, seems like this would be the schiit.

Got Dayens?
    I'm hoping some of our esteemed CP tubies will opine on the Schiit Freya. I have learned to respect their opinions and of course laugh at their jocularity. Come on @tonyb give us the schiit!
    edited January 30
    They Freya was originally on my radar, but I went for it's smaller cousin due to a few reasons.

The Freya's 14db gain on the tube stage seemed like it would be too much for the quieter listening I tend to do. I think the Saga's 0db/unity gain approach is a better implementation.

$350 price difference.

4 6sn7 vs. 1 6sn7. Quite a bit more expensive to roll matched pairs/quads vs singles.
    I'm hoping some of our esteemed CP tubies will opine on the Schiit Freya. I have learned to respect their opinions and of course laugh at their jocularity. Come on @tonyb give us the schiit!

Got Dayens?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,402
    No tube amp manufacturer should invest in expensive tubes for the base amp. Some will offer upgrade paths which is a plus but to force customers to spend dough on a tube they may not even want.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    DSkip wrote: »
    No tube amp manufacturer should invest in expensive tubes for the base amp. Some will offer upgrade paths which is a plus but to force customers to spend dough on a tube they may not even want.

That makes sense. I like the idea of swapping tubes to experiment. A lot easier than desoldering/soldering caps, resisters, etc., on a SS pre.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,340

nxpjzjp73yf0.png

rjkup9tmqar6.png
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)

Probably right....but Joule's came with decent nos tubes in them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Can't comment on the schiit Pre amps, never heard them myself. Their dacs though, did nothing for me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,508
    tonyb wrote: »

Sometimes you have an ear and like the manufacturer/designer and can most always like what they produce

I like Modwright

Have spoken to Dan several times, and owned a few pieces of his gear. So far none have failed me when they got home.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    I've repeatedly heard that their DACs (Bifrost specifically) are very clinical and sterile sounding and need 100+ hours to begin to sound "good", and even then, still very clinical and sterile.
    Can't comment on the schiit Pre amps, never heard them myself. Their dacs though, did nothing for me.

Got Dayens?
    edited January 31
    I've repeatedly heard that their DACs (Bifrost specifically) are very clinical and sterile sounding and need 100+ hours to begin to sound "good", and even then, still very clinical and sterile.

Very clinical and sterile before break in; very clinical and sterile after break in... begging the question "what changes when they 'break in'?" ;)

One is tempted to try one of them there Sagas, you know? :)
    Not quite cheap enough to just try on a lark, though.

One expects to be getting a chance to try one of their little Mani phono preamps anon (one is pleased to report).
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    It's like you start out in the ER and then you get admitted and they give you a room.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Very clinical and sterile before break in; very clinical and sterile after break in... begging the question "what changes when they 'break in'?" ;)

Got Dayens?
    It's like you start out in the ER and then you get admitted and they give you a room.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

... and, and... they put you on an IV antibiotic drip!

:)

Nice analogy!

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 381
    ... squirrel!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Sometimes you have an ear and like the manufacturer/designer and can most always like what they produce

I like Modwright

Have spoken to Dan several times, and owned a few pieces of his gear. So far none have failed me when they got home.

Modwright is a company that, in my opinion, gets overlooked. Dan looks to do fantastic work and his mods on other brand pieces are nothing to sneeze at. He has a following for a reason.

Just thinking....we should put together a list of great companies to deal with and the great people behind the curtain. People just stepping up their game have no idea of all these companies or where to go. Especially considering the amount of Boutique brands out there these days.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,387
    Boutique brands out there these days.

If you place a Halloween tablecloth on a teak table, would that be considered.....BOO TEAK?

nxv9gi6egedi.jpg
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I like Modwright

Modwright is a company that, in my opinion, gets overlooked. Dan looks to do fantastic work and his mods on other brand pieces are nothing to sneeze at. He has a following for a reason.

Just thinking....we should put together a list of great companies to deal with and the great people behind the curtain. People just stepping up their game have no idea of all these companies or where to go. Especially considering the amount of Boutique brands out there these days.

GREAT IDEA!
    GREAT IDEA!
    HEY YOU!!!! STOP YELLING!!!!
    Viking64 wrote: »
    GREAT IDEA!

great idea.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    GREAT IDEA!
    :)
    great idea.

I'm sorry, what was that? I was just listening to Deep Purple quite loudly and my ears are ringing. :p