NPR: "Too Much Music"

My son sent me this link -- it's kind of rambling, somewhat predictable, but still, I'd opine, an interesting read. Not long, but not short either. (and it name-checks Rega, for whatever reason).

Offered "as-is" and FWIW.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2018/01/16/578216674/too-much-music-a-failed-experiment-in-dedicated-listening

a little sample text (taken way out of context... but I like the thesis as a point to consider):
A friend once floated a theory that I've grappled with ever since. She claimed that we only ever really love 10 albums, and we spend the rest of our listening lives seeking facsimiles of those 10, pursuing the initial rush, so to speak. At the time, I argued with her, mostly because I didn't want this to be true. But even as I protested I began recalling how many times I compulsively "added to cart" an item whenever some savvy vinyl-hustling mountebank deployed the phrase "Velvets-y" or "Royal Trux-ish," and how many times I'd bought reissues promising the "holy grail" of "private press proto-doom" only to discover tepid bar rock that sounded like a warmed-over Bad Company. Our individual dragons may vary — Sabbath or Coltrane or Beatles or Beefheart — but we're all chasing 'em.
"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 2,389
    Nice article. I would tend to agree with the notion of about 10 albums or so. During my searches and experiments I eventually gravitate back to a certain genre, looking for modern day purveyors of the pomp rock and metal hero’s of my youth. My formative years I guess.

Occasionally I get lucky. Avenged Sevenfold and 5FDP have earned they way into my faves. Our hero’s back in the day are definitely getting old BTW ...

But sometimes for me the unexpected happens. Styx recently released a new album that harkens back to the good old days.

And Greta Van Fleet reminds me of a young Led Zeppelin.

I love the search!!! Will never stop!!! But yes a lot of the newer stuff I accumulate remains played only a few times.

2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,315
    I am not like that, I don't really listen to my ten favorite albums from my youth, I am not that easily amused. There probably are a lot of people that are like that, what else would explain the popularity of abominations like Bruce Sringstein? Oh how I envy simpletons like that writer that gets paid to just write stuff.
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• voltzvoltz Posts: 4,911
    Bruce you not listen to the right songs by the Boss! B)
    heres one that I use in my playlist to show off my speakers. except I use the studio version.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 169
    Good article, thanks for the heads up. In general I like the fact that I have access to much more music than I did when I was younger, but I do share the feeling that I don't get as much out of it as I used to. I guess with more choices and less time what can you expect? I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to retire down the road and at lease recapture a bit of the magic!
    Lounge LCR MKIII, AMC 2100, Marantz SR5011, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk RM8, Polk PSW450, Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,710
    What impressed me the most about the article, is how well it was written. That guy is a "writer" first and foremost.
    Modest HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Premiere+
    voltz wrote: »
    Bruce you not listen to the right songs by the Boss! B)
    heres one that I use in my playlist to show off my speakers. except I use the studio version.

Is that Paul Schafer?
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• Tony MTony M Posts: 5,013
    edited January 31
    That was a GREAT SONG and I known girls/women who've told me about their walls they built after heart aches.

Now Bruce didn't repeat the same phrase 30 times in this song, which was NICE.

But he mumbled a lot. I had to look up the lyrics to understand the second half of the song.

GREAT lyrics!!!

Real life stuff here!

Secret Garden
    Bruce Springsteen
    She'll let you in her house
    If you come knockin' late at night
    She'll let you in her mouth
    If the words you say are right
    If you pay the price
    She'll let you deep inside
    There's a secret garden she hides
    She'll let you in her car
    To go drivin' 'round
    She'll let you into the parts of herself
    That'll bring you down
    She'll let you in her heart
    If you got a hammer and a vise
    But into her secret garden, don't think twice
    You've gone a million miles
    How far'd you get
    To that place where you can't remember
    And you can't forget
    She'll lead you down a path
    There'll be tenderness in the air
    She'll let you come just far enough
    So you know she's really there
    And she'll look at you and smile
    And her eyes will say
    She's got a secret garden
    Where everything you want
    Where everything you need
    Will always stay a million miles away
    Songwriters: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Not feeling it, he has done worse though.

Hello Kitty boombox