PC sound problems

Options
Sometimes my Windows 10 Dell has sound and many times I do not. I also cannot seem to get bluetooth to work. Are these related(sound card) issues?

Looking at an external USB 2.0 sound card by StarTech, 7.1( won;t ever use) capable with SPDIF. Any experience with these?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Typically it shouldn't be going in and out like that. Either it'll work or it won't work.

I would try updating the sound card driver. You can go to support.dell.com, enter your service tag, and then navigate through the driver downloads to find your specific sound card driver.

The Bluetooth problem would be unrelated, but you might try updating the driver for that as well.

Again these things should just work consistently.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Don't feel bad....everybody using a pc for music has sound problems.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Oops
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    You guys have sucky telepathy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Aw, did you have a bad experience with an early 2000s throw away integrated Realtek audio chipset?

Times have changed, my friend.
    Don't feel bad....everybody using a pc for music has sound problems.

• soundfreak1
    Options
    No just have listened to 100,000 rigs streaming and playing cd and downloads thru a computer didn't think much of them. Convinced the owner to pick up good transport and dac and he lost his mind with the improved sound. Then he got a good vinyl rig and threw his computer away! SOURCE,SOURCE SOURCE. At a certain level source is critical. This guy isn't the only one I've seen and heard go thru this in systems from 20k and up. I get the convinence and all but...... the better the system is the more "source" dependant it can be, and bigger the difference in sound quality. I know their are exceptions but..... IMHO. Your milage may varry.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Bob, first off, I agree with Drew up above - start by updating your drivers just as he details. I'm in agreement with everyone who's said so - this should not be an intermittent issue. In my experience as well, hiccup-y sound on PCs is driver related.

I just started more seriously messing with computer audio myself and am having a profoundly good and exciting experience now after just an initially ho-hum one for a long time.

What's your plan here, anyway? Is this a notebook or a desktop type PC?
    Are you building a system in your computer space, or connecting a notebook computer to an existing sound system?

I'm planning to do a small write-up at some point on my recent project, but generally speaking, the recent component additions below are what have made for the biggest improvement for me in this little system, and this is even with bobo RCAs out the back of the DAC, pending construction of one of my Douglas Connection DIY kits.

I am working with a PC in a small office space, connected to an AVR with small bookshelf speakers and small sub. A setup like this, minus the PCI USB card could be used with a notebook to connect to a main space system.
    • HRT Music Streamer HD
    • AudioQuest Forest USB Cable
    • Separate USB 2.0 PCI controller card to isolate the DAC from other USB devices.

You can make a connection from a PC to a main system using a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable, and this would get you started in being able to play music and stream services, but if higher quality's your goal, you'll need to put a little more into it, I think.

Let us know what your plans are.
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    My immediate plans are to just get audio out of the desktop unit. I currently have no audio at all except what you can barely hear from the pc's internal speaker. Have updated some drivers per the Dell troubleshooter and flashed the BIOS.

Next is to be able to stream from the desktop to the Oppo BDP-93. Easy enough I know, but the bugaboo is that the Oppo is not connected to a screen of any type. I thought the media player app that was installed onto the wife's tablet would have a better GUI but it essentially is just a remote control...no graphics/info like you would have on a tv/monitor screen. I think I read that the media player app for the more recent Oppo players does have better interface?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Audioquest Dragonfly Black. 99 bucks, then use a 3.5mm to RCA splitter to whatever is driving your speakers.

Time is money and it may take more time than you want to figure out why your having issues.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Thanks to Drew pointing me to the correct driver I now have audio. Still cannot connect to my portable bluetooth speaker though which would be nice but no biggie I guess.