Need new central heat/AC

BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,520
The central heater/AC for this house was probably built/installed in the early 80s, and now needs to be replaced by something reliable and efficient. It is mounted on the roof, and is gas heat.

Any suggestions for a good replacement. I don’t mind paying a few extra dollars for something that will work 20-30 years with no issues.
Bud

Lumin S1
Sony XA-5400ES SACD
Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,639
    Rhreem
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,520
    I like that name. Hope they don’t do it to their customers. :)

Thanks.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,928
    Tooooobsss...
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Sony PS-LX410/Grado Green Cartridge
    Phono Stage - Parks Audio Budgie
    CD - Marantz DV4001
    Passive Pre - Luminous Audio Axiom II
    Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • charley95charley95 Posts: 584
    Took out a Rheem that had been in my house since 77. Damn fine unit, just upgraded to a York that I installed in 2011 with no issues so far. I've heard that Lennox parts are only available to techs. only and not available to consumers. Parts availability without having to call a tech. is important to me. I'm lucky to know a retired HVAC guy that does installs for a fraction of what other outfits charge. He sold me my York furnace/AC for $2900 installed.
  • obieoneobieone Posts: 5,030
    edited January 14
    Knowing your location will help determine what you need(just need a state)
    If you live in the north, and run the heat 70% of the year, then a bullet proof brand would be Trane, or York.
    MAKE SURE you tell the salesperson, you want the simplest controls possible (Lennox has gotten SUPER stupid with over engineering stuff)

I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,494
    Package units,mi would go with Rheem/Ruud. Trance makes good units, I just hate working on them. I would stay away from Carrier and Lennox products. Just too many electronics in those guys, and there's a high failure rate on package units.

Goodman tends to keep me busy, and that pretty much covers them. York, not very many of them in my area, one sub-division that I can think of. No package units, but not the best installs on split systems, so quite a few problems.
  • decaldecal Posts: 2,943
    Nothing runs like a Trane.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • shawn474shawn474 Posts: 2,702
    We got a Bryant about 9 years ago and have not had one issue with it whatsoever. Runs like a champ, quiet and efficient. We only have about 1300 square feet so that probably factors into it but never a problem. The only thing I did was install a whole house humidifier as we have a very dry house.
    Shawn
    Pre-Amp: Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
    Amp: B&K AV5000 Series II
    Center Channel: Polk LSI C
    Front: Polk LSI 9's
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: Mirage Omni S10
    Television: Samsung LN46B640
    DVD Player: Sony BDP-S1000ES
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,520
    I live in CA. Don't need the heat all that much, but I want it to work when I need it. The AC is important as the stereo creates a lot of heat, and in the summer I need to keep the windows closed to keep the music inside.

Thanks for the info.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,308
    All the commercial divisions of the Big Boys (Carrier, Trane, etc) are having some difficulties. One of the first areas that companies cut back on is maintenance.
    "Deferred maintenance" is the new buzz word, so businesses think, "Hey, it's running now, so do we really need to punch those tubes ?".
    As the Big Boys lose business and their senior techs retire (Get out while the gettings good), they attempt to steal the known good techs from each other.

Any-who, the general thought now seems to be, "Hey, let's over design our residential units, sell them relatively cheap, and make our profits on the back end in service calls and parts".
    Lennox and Trane only sell replacement parts to their techs. Proprietary parts out the wahzoo (and believe me, that's painful !).

Rheem is a good recommendation.
    If a company tries to convince you to buy a heat pump, punch them in the face, and throw them off the front porch. :o
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,615
    FWIW I am currently liking the idea of a heat pump as (work with me here ;) ) backup for our LPG-fired boiler. Said boiler happens to be a Buderus (now Bosch, apparently) -- talk about too much technology! :( It is darned complex and finicky.

So, we now have a little over 5 kW of photovoltaic panels online :) ... and suddenly the idea of a heat pump for summer cooling and as better-than-freezing-and-bursting-pipes backup for heating is becoming attractive to me. Mind you, we decided not to install central air in this house when we had it built -- a decision I regret every summer for about 2 weeks :/

Heat-pump heat (even with electric 'booster' heat when it's crazy cold) as a hedge against boiler failure/burst pipes is lookin' like an attractive option to me (not that we've gone too far down the road of evaluating options, yet). I read good things about the Mitsubishi units, and we had installed a two-piece Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" :) air conditioner in our old house in MA some years back (and we were quite happy with it).

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/benefits/hyper-heating

I can absolutely 100% see replacing our current gas-fired boiler with something simpler and/or more robust in the fullness of time (irrespective of the above-mentioned, umm, pipe dreams about a heat pump)... so this thread is of interest to me! It sounds, so far, like there's no "slam-dunk" 100% satisfaction-guaranteed option, even from the big names, though :(

9chzuovxd15o.jpg

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum