Power supply question (SMPS/LPS)

I've been researching power supply upgrades over cheapo SMPS's for various devices like network switches, USB regenerators and such, and ran across the iFi iPower SMPS for one, and then the Sbooster LPS. And on the Sbooster website they mentioned where their Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 15V LPS could be used in place of the SMPS wall warts that come with the Martin Logan Electromotion ESL's to power the panels. They said, quote, " The 15V – 16V BOTW can be used with everything from a Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL loudspeaker to a iFi micro IPhono2 phono stage."
I happen to have a pair of the Martin Logan ESL's so this perked my interest, but I'm not about to spend $700 on 2 Sbooster's. However, the iFi iPower is only $49 and is included with the iFi micro IPhono2. So if the Sbooster can be used in place of the iPower that's included with the iFi micro IPhono2 as well as the Martin Logan's, I'm assuming the iPower could also be used for the Martin Logan's? Or is there more to it than that :^ /
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Have never had any experience with the iFi, but, seems like I'd want to stay away from a switcher dur to the noise that can be generated...especially on speakers.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2018
    The iFi iPower has been compared to many LPS with positive results.
    But really, not debating SMPS vs anything here just wanting to see if my logic is correct.
    1. Sbooster 15V can power Martin Logan and iFi iphono2
    2. iFi iPower can power iFi iphono2
    3. hence iFi iPower can power Martin Logans
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • kharp1
    It's a word problem, let me get my pencil and paper out...
  • dragon1952
    edited January 2018
    ha ha :^ ) Yeah, was never very good at those :^ /

It's like, If 40% of a school are boys, and 30% of students have blond hair, and there are three times as many girls as boys that have blond hair, what percentage of the class is blonde haired boys?
  • dragon1952
    So does this make sense or am I missing something inherent in electronics?
    1. IF Sbooster 15V can power Martin Logan and iFi iphono2
    2. AND iFi iPower can power iFi iphono2
    3. THEN iFi iPower can power Martin Logans

• kharp1
    I'm not familiar with the ML, I just thought they plugged in to the wall. Are you talking about bypassing the ML transformer?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    To an audio nerd like myself, when someone talks about upgraded power supplies and speakers in the same sentence......I like to call them "amplifiers". Power supplies for individual components is a different animal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    edited January 2018
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the ML, I just thought they plugged in to the wall. Are you talking about bypassing the ML transformer?

Yes they do plug in the wall but they each use a SMPS. It plugs into the wall and then plugs into the speaker with a mini jack. I guess it was presumptuous to think everyone knew that :^ /
  • dragon1952
    Hermitism wrote: »

I do believe we have a winner! He's either really good at Algebra or else he just knows how to Google :^ )
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I excel at word problems. Two trains headed towards each other at different speeds, when will they meet kinda stuff. But which cables sound good with which amp...not so much.