A project for 2018: Compendium of Polk Audio ads, etc.

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 3,345
    Another cool Polk Ad:
    oachbtwvnqv6.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,780
    Order in the court!!!

(We're still in the B&W age)
    lol @FestYboy
    Hey OP already spanked me for getting into the ditch attempting to chronicle the Polk family tree (yes with color ads).
    I've since repented and thought we're following a timeline ...
    And OP already posted a color ad ... :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,054
    Actually, by all means! All y'all may throw in ads as you please -- I really only have access to one resource, so there're a bunch (like the facepalm guy!) that Audio doesn't seem to have.
    verb wrote: »
    Polk Stereo Bundle Package. Not sure who was selling these?
    dfpfyj3w1pdh.jpg

That was from Gordon Miller Music (in Towson, MD, ca. 1977 or 78).
    I believe it was their one and only catalog.

12015397575_5e1f5a7b8b_b.jpgGMMcatalog by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I have most of it scanned and uploaded to Flikr @:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskjaNkuL
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,780
    verb wrote: »
    lol @FestYboy
    Hey OP already spanked me for getting into the ditch attempting to chronicle the Polk family tree (yes with color ads).

Oh I have no doubt Doc spanked you :p
    well -- I am kinda into vinyl, but not spanking. Just to keep the record straight.

35993349896_78bda4e3b6_h.jpgDSC_8876 (4) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,845
    edited January 18
    pkquat wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »
    No idea why they would show the bare frames attached. They make the speakers look goofy!
    FestYboy wrote: »
    From what I remember from my tour, the particular shape of the frame around the peerless tweets was there for defraction (sp) purposes.

FestYboy gets a :star: . This was one of the sales associates talking points back in the day. There was a difference in sound with the grille on and off.

That is true with most of the grills in the Polk line up with or without the defraction points around the tweeters. I find IMHO that the grill cloth across several of the SDA's I have owned is not exactly sound invisible. For any serious listening mine are always off.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    well -- I am kinda into vinyl, but not spanking. Just to keep the record straight.

35993349896_78bda4e3b6_h.jpgDSC_8876 (4) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Looks like that record has a little wowee in it. Did you spank somebody with it? :)
    Maybe a bit early in the timeline, but still black & white
    ahym1id14b7s.jpg
    :)
    Thanks.

Do you know the source (magazine and/or the year) for that ad?

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,845
    That ad reminds me of when Matt hit the mid-century mark, the HR department threw a surprise party for him. Everybody in the company was given a white lab coat and carried a mask made from the photo used in that ad. He thought he was coming into the main conference room for a general meeting and there was 80 or so people standing in lab coats looking at him with his face. He had a slightly embarrassed look on his face at first, but joined in on the fun.

That is itself would of made a great picture.
    :)
    Thanks.

Do you know the source (magazine and/or the year) for that ad?

Some seller of vintage ads, can't remember where. They only stated the year 1985. Here's another one from the same year.
    7uxw8a380y47.jpg
    I've got a color image of that photo -- appropriated from someplace on teh interwebs...

14285982279_15a7d8d1a1_b.jpgSDA SRS from magazine ad by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,283
    I seem to recall a Matt/labcoat image where he is holding something (a tweeter, perhaps) in his hand.
    "Is that a tweeter in your hand or are you just... "

:|
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,283

I was going to write "holding something small in his hand", but I didn't want to start anything. :p
    Viking64 wrote: »

I was going to write "holding something small in his hand", but I didn't want to start anything. :p

yeah, right ;)
    That ad reminds me of when Matt hit the mid-century mark, the HR department threw a surprise party for him. Everybody in the company was given a white lab coat and carried a mask made from the photo used in that ad. He thought he was coming into the main conference room for a general meeting and there was 80 or so people standing in lab coats looking at him with his face. He had a slightly embarrassed look on his face at first, but joined in on the fun.

You must find a picture of that!!!
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,622
    I remember someone taking photos that day, probably HR.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot

They would ;)
    By the way -- I haven't forgotten my Sisyphean task vis-a-vis this thread. I've just been sort of atypically busy for the last week or so. :pensive:

xhq9b53vj34w.png
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 441
    Is that Matthew Polk? ^^^ He's freaking buffed!
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 18,234
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Is that Matthew Polk? ^^^ He's freaking buffed!

I'm offended. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Give em up!!! That would be a nice addition to this compendium.
    Is it time???
    9p4zlnr68sqe.jpg
    ^^^ Nice addition! I've never seen that ad, nor (?!?) those loudspeakers before.
    I may be wrong about the latter observation -- but not the former! This is a new one on me.

Thanks very much for posting it to this thread.
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,145
    ^^^ Nice addition! I've never seen that ad, nor (?!?) those loudspeakers before.
    I may be wrong about the latter observation -- but not the former! This is a new one on me.

You've never seen LS or S series?
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t

Ouch!!! LOL!!! Not alot about the LS series on this forum. Not sure why...

apparently? ;)

I kind of dropped out of hifi from the mid-1980s until the late 1990s (kids and career).