Roku Streaming Stick

cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,855
Hi guys. If I bought a Roku Streaming stick and put it in the front MHL/HDMI input of my Oppo 103, would it work and would I get sound through all of my speakers?

If one of you guys have these, could you give it a try a let me know.

Thanks,
Cathy

Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comments

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,048
    Yeah
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,678
    Cathy, I don't have an Oppo but do have a couple Roku boxes.

How is the Oppo connected to your receiver? Or is it connected directly to the TV?

If it's hooked directly to a receiver and the receiver is set up to pass the video to the TV, it should work fine. Or if you have two outputs on the Oppo and one goes to the TV and one to the receiver is should also be fine.

I used to have a stick and I would hook it to one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the receiver and that worked well. Hooking it to the Oppo and then hooking to Oppo to one of the HDMI inputs on a receiver should act the same way, I believe.
    Modest HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Stick
  • dragon1952dragon1952 Posts: 4,360
    I used a Roku stick in the front of my Oppo 103 for several years to get a better Netflix interface and for HBOGo and it worked fine.
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio DirectStream, Intona USB Isolator, Asus EEEBox running JRiver, Tom Tutay modded EE Minimax pre, Furman Elite 15 Pfi power conditioner, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers, Kimber 4TC speaker wire, Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 IC's, VH Audio Flavor 4 x 2, Flavor 2 and Pepster power cords
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,855
    edited January 3
    Hi Jim, I'm trying to maximize my viewing options and get the best sound within reason.

My Oppo is connected to my tv via HDMI. However for the audio I have it connected via IC's and an optical cable from my Sunfire pre to the Oppo.

The optical connector is broken on the tv so I'm using the Netflix app within the Oppo to watch it and get surround sound. But I would like to also be able to get Amazon video, and other movie options.

If I can accomplish that with a Roku stick through the front HDMI input on the Oppo which could utilize all the audio/video capabilities of the Oppo, I would be all set.

I just need to know that it would work before I go and buy a Roku stick
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,048
    If you don't have the MHL/HDMI stick you will have to plug it into a USB with enough voltage. I thick I had mine running off the Oppo usb
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,157
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Hi Jim

Hi. :)

gp8wk3bo68b8.jpg
    Hi Jim, I'm trying to maximize my viewing options and get the best sound within reason.

My Oppo is connected to my tv via HDMI. However for the audio I have it connected via IC's and an optical cable from my Sunfire pre to the Oppo.

The optical connector is broken on the tv so I'm using the Netflix app within the Oppo to watch it and get surround sound. But I would like to also be able to get Amazon video, and other movie options.

If I can accomplish that with a Roku stick through the front HDMI input on the Oppo which could utilize all the audio/video capabilities of the Oppo, I would be all set.

It should work fine set up that way.

You will like the Roku interface for most things and they are a "non-denominational" platform, so have Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, Sling, You Tube, Showtime Anytime, Hulu, Direct TV Now, Google Play, etc. etc. Literally thousands of channels, not all of which are free of course, but many are.

You can use the USB to power it, or you can use the adapter to plug it into a wall socket. Just make sure you get the Streaming Stick+, it's $20 more but has a much faster processor.

b567e6qxpa25.png
    Modest HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Stick
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I used a Roku stick in the front of my Oppo 103 for several years to get a better Netflix interface and for HBOGo and it worked fine.
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

It should work fine set up that way.

You will like the Roku interface for most things and they are a "non-denominational" platform, so have Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, Sling, You Tube, Showtime Anytime, Hulu, Direct TV Now, Google Play, etc. etc. Literally thousands of channels, not all of which are free of course, but many are.

You can use the USB to power it, or you can use the adapter to plug it into a wall socket. Just make sure you get the Streaming Stick+, it's $20 more but has a much faster processor.

b567e6qxpa25.png

Ok, please clarify for me, can I just use the Streaming Stick+ in this front port and be able to get both picture and sound via the Oppo through to my Sunfire or am I going to have to use something else. Both HDMI ports on the TV are taken so I can't use the TV, plus the optical port on it is busted and the speakers on the tv suck! That's why I'm trying to find a work around.

• sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 279
    edited January 4
    I have used the front MHL port for Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV so the Roku stick should be the same. The only issue is the stick needs USB or outlet power. Not sure what the difference in cost is but you could get a normal Roku?
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 4B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton One
    Source: Oppo 103D, Mac Mini, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3
    Cables: AQ Castlerock Speaker, AQ Columbia XLR/RCA, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

Home Theater
    Reciever: Yamaha CX-A5100
    Amp: Parasound A21, A31, A51
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 703 (FL, FR, RL, RR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB13 x 4 +DSPeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR75X940D
    Ok, so I can plug the Roku into the front MHL port and there is a USB port right next to it so I plug the USB connector that is attached to the Roku into the USB port that is next to it so that it can get power to run as shown in the bottom right picture. Correct?
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,072
    only if that USB port is powered I believe...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,701
    Save your coin Cathy. Your gonna need it to buy me and the wife lunch when we come out to Boston next fall. :p :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    Cathy, some USB ports will provide enough power, and some won't. I have a slightly older TV that I plugged a stick into and then tried to use the USB port to power it, and I got a message saying not enough power to stream, or something like that.

That's why I mentioned that you can also plug it into the wall. And yes, it should work fine for both picture and sound hooked up as you describe.

And as sgmsmg mentioned, you can also just get a Roku box, which will have to be plugged into the wall, but it's not infrared so you can put the box anywhere and just run the HDMI cable to the Oppo.
    Got it, I will just plug the USB into the plug that is already in my power strip that is next to the rack. It's got a micro connector that I use to recharge my Samsung phone that I use a an MP3 player. :)

You guys are the best!
    tonyb wrote: »
    Save your coin Cathy. Your gonna need it to buy me and the wife lunch when we come out to Boston next fall. :p :)

It would be my pleasure to meet you and your better half next year Tony! Just let me know when you will be in town. So long as it isn't the week of Thanksgiving (I'll be in DC with Mark) I'd be happy to sit down to lunch with you!
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,243
    Viking64 wrote: »

Meh, You can find a good steak house anywhere, especially in Chi-town

I'd be hunting some good hole in the wall for chowder and lobster rolls...IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Meh, You can find a good steak house anywhere, especially in Chi-town

I'd be hunting some good hole in the wall for chowder and lobster rolls...IMHO

That isn't true of most of New England. Here in Vermont, your best options for steak (at least in the Burlington area) are Outback and Long Horn! :o That is, unless you want to pay $60 for a "boutique", grass-fed, 97% lean steak that tastes like veal. :p

I'll save everyone the horror of my vivid descriptions concerning seafood. o:)

You really need to get some meds for those grandiose delusions you have!!! :p
    You really need to get some meds for those grandiose delusions you have!!! :p

I will as soon as I get back from my trip Tahiti with Charlize Theron in my private space shuttle. :p