2018 health goal

Options
I gots ta say, 2017 was pretty good! Back in Nov 2016 when I was turning 49yo, I set out on a plan to hit it hard in the gym and solidify the diet. This was after several lackluster years of on and off with the gym training. I wasn't going to head into my 50's as a slug with health problems. Hey, 2 of my best friends had already logged in their first heart attacks, so it was even more motivating for me to get my groove on. Plus, I just wanted to see how far and how hard I could push myself.

I gave up drinking completely (over a year now without a single drink), focused hard on the diet and got back to alot of basics in the gym. Cut to the chase...on Nov 12 I turned 50yo and on Thanksgiving day, I set a new personal record for bench press. Now, my previous best was all the way back to 2003 when I hit 280 on the flat bench for 1 rep. No, nothing landmark and earth shattering in the grand scheme of things. Fast forward 14 years at 50...and I hit 300lbs for 1 on Thanksgiving Day. Overall, my training is not geared towards 1 rep maxes and powerlifting. It's geared towards bodybuilding. HOWEVER, there are things that have eluded me for a long time and the hunger won't let me let go. The 2018 goal...the magical "3 plates"...315lbs.

I've been training hard for a little over a year now with no end in sight. I feel quite amazing overall! Sure, there are a few aches and pains here and there, but nothing to whine like a baby about.

I tell my family and friends all the time..."We're all so good about investing money for retirement, so why not invest in your health so the chances of you making it to retirement and being able to enjoy retirement are that much greater."

Cheers everyone!

No excuses!

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congrats on such dedication to investing in your health, may you have a happy and healthy New Year!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That's great.

Most people don't think about their health until they're 50. Some start feeling their aches and pains around 30 or so. Vision impairment usually hits humans at age 41, really.

Most of us " baby boomers " NEVER got to have a ton of healthy choices to pick from growing up. We didn't have the " world of health tips " at our fingertips to research on the web. There weren't even cell phones until I was 45 I think. I like seeing all the health stuff out there for younger ( and older ) to look into. Some good ideas, some BS. Then again what was good then is bad now and vise-versa . :s

The golden health rule that is concrete , Everything in moderation.

The health community says people will live to be 80 and 90 regularly. I don't doubt it.

My dads generation..60
    Mine..70
    My step daughters 75
    grand children..80

I sure Pray to God our country doesn't change the age SS benefits kick in ! Not one year.

Our children and grand kids have a very tough road in front of them compared to my generation. If we wanted to work, we could easily find a job quickly. Not so much nowadays unless you have a degree it seems. And there's a lot more lunatics out in the world now.

Congrats on getting your health on track to shoot for 80+. Keep it up.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Congrats on the goals.

I would probably make a goal of losing 10lb for me.

As for avg age... it actually declined at least in the United States.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Congrats on quitting drinking! I just passed six months of no drinking myself on December 24th.
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I gave up drinking completely (over a year now without a single drink)

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Congrats to you on hitting 300 at 50!! That is quite a feat right there. I've been somewhat of a gym rat myself over the years so I know the dedication it takes to reach that at 50. It's funny I've noticed my poundages slipping away over the years even with better and more intense training. But cardio seems to stay the same. Meaning I can do the same on the stair machine as I could 25 years ago. Sadly I can't say that about strength training even with extra training
    Best of luck to you reaching your goal in 2018.