Swap tweeter on center speaker for tonal matching

rayycy
rayycy Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Speakers
Hi all. I've got a CS1 that is a bit underwhelmed running with my monitor 70s. I want to get a CS2 or a CS20, but availability is very low, especially here in Canada. It would be easier to get a newer center such as a CSi5. But the tonal will not match. From what I've read, I want the tweeter to be from the same product line to get the best tonal match. So I'm wondering if it is feasible to grab a center speaker like the CSi5, and then replace the tweeter with the one on my CS1. Thanks a lot.
Post edited by rayycy on

Comments

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    Just noticed that it's a lower case letter I in CSI5, meaning it's the sig series slim center. At first I thought it was CS15.

Don't take my advice too literally. But, if that's the case then we're talking about two very different speaker series. The Monitors are very laid back compared to the Sigs based on my experiences with both.

The differences I would think go way beyond the tweeter. Also, could the swap take place without modifications to the mount or the cabinet opening?

Can't speak from experience, but the general consensus seems to be that tweeter swaps are folly without accounting for differences in crossover design for starters.

If you're looking for something more contemporary than the CS1 that still timbre matches the M70s, then I'd think the TSX or TSi series would be more suitable than Sigs.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I think you'll be fine. Just set things up properly so that the levels are the same.