Difference Between BFA and Banana?

So I keep seeing this "BFA Style" connector.

What the heck does BFA stand for? and how is it different from a Banana connector?

It seems like the BFA Style is this banana connector with the squiggly/cutout in it, and a regular banana connector has the spring mechanism all around, or in the 4 quadrants?

Comments

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,653
    edited December 2017
    British Federation of Audio...created by the Eurocrats due to safety concerns

So that you don't do sumtin'stupid like plug your audio connector into the euro electrical socket

Banana plugs are actually illegal in Europe, hence the reason that when you receive amps, they may have those red plug caps stuffed in the the amp terminals
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,621
    edited December 2017
    Ahhhhh, gotcha.
    Hehe, yeah, I read something about that.

How does this prevent someone from sticking it in one of those sockets?
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,315
    edited December 2017
    Right Scott I'd like to know that as well.
    The marketing has always sold them as more contact surface.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,653
    I guess because of the resemblance of the nanner euro plug :/

pe4gj18h3utq.jpg

cuahy7p2p4pq.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • dannylightningdannylightning Posts: 233
    edited December 2017
    from what i have seen the banannas listed as BFA do not have the little springy things like regular banana plugs do

here is a BFA vs regular banana, pretty sure that is the difference between the two so i would say you are probably correct just adding the photo so anyone who reads it sees what we are talking about

frndw82vwqcr.jpg
    xpvsbsmtv3ba.jpg
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect