Another 1C upgrade path

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    F1nut wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Verb,

Nothing personal and in my opinion. I've seen countless attempts at doing what you are planning and not one of them looks right in the end. The only one I've seen that looks right is a pair of 3.1TL's that were veneered to look like a studio version.

Yep. As you forewarned me before. I’ll let you know how it turns out!!! Thanks as always for your guidance.

Am I repeating myself........oh God, it's started.

I always have to repeat myself with my kids... Father @F1nut
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Just do a mock up assembly with clamps to get an eye on them before doing any permanent gluing etc

like the zebra
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Just do a mock up assembly with clamps to get an eye on them before doing any permanent gluing etc

like the zebra

Yep. That was my plan!!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Yay!!! Finished installing the H-nuts!!! All 64 of them...

Some observations:
    H-nut positioned to allow for rotation. About 1/4" along the flange. Nut will rotate clockwise.
    j85hvium97h7.jpg
    Use washers on the drive screw to better distribute the load as the H-nut is being driven in. Note the test piece of plywood. No washer was used. Significant crush of the wood. Hard to see in the picture but the red mark is an arrow that I used to visually verify the rotation of the H-nut and ensure correct positioning. Also no need to trim the tweeter H-nuts as there is plenty of material there.
    81w58qkvrfly.jpg
    H-nuts installed
    51jso3n5g3fc.jpg
    1nf0iqtcfze7.jpg
    Next step, Loctite Power Grab to seal the cabinets!!!
  • verb
    More H-nut pics:
    Tweeter H-nut.
    ogur1rtusk9e.jpg
    Had to remove some of the glue bead on the brace prior to this particular MW N-nut install.
    1fbvi6p146ci.jpg
  • verb
    That's enough for today. Endcap staple removal. Big Honker's. I also used a hammer to pound em down. Then used a small right angle pliers to get enough leverage to pull em out.
    kkpu2k1pfztc.jpg
    kdz0j9242zid.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I am installing my new crossovers into my 2.3TL's today/tonight. :p I installed my rings from Larry a few months ago and they sure make removing and reinstalling your tweeters, mid-woofers, and passive radiators a breeze. I imagine the hurricane nuts will do the same, although I wonder if they would spin somehow when you go to back them out if they aren't seated really tight?
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I put a little powergrab on mine when i installed them on my 2.3tls. The rings weren’t available for them when I upgraded them like they were for the 1.2’s.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I am installing my new crossovers into my 2.3TL's today/tonight. :p I installed my rings from Larry a few months ago and they sure make removing and reinstalling your tweeters, mid-woofers, and passive radiators a breeze. I imagine the hurricane nuts will do the same, although I wonder if they would spin somehow when you go to back them out if they aren't seated really tight?

I was worried about that too. @westmassguy had a great instruction sheet (pasted earlier in this thread) which worked to a tee. All the H-nuts are fully seated and tight.

• verb
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    I put a little powergrab on mine when i installed them on my 2.3tls. The rings weren’t available for them when I upgraded them like they were for the 1.2’s.

Good thought!!! I pondered that too. In the end I decided not to use adhesive or anything else.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited January 2018
    Just catching up on your build here. Great job and detail. The Zebrawood is very nice. Searching around I see no one has done a TL mod to this model.

Surprised Viking's definition of H-nuts wasn't censored lol.
    Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Rob, no one has done a TL mod because the tweeter circuit is very complex with no clear path to enlightenment.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Judging by factory schematic, Polk did some attenuating to the lower tweeter. Perhaps to reduce lobing between the two vertical plane tweets?

51fd52fajzqz.png
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    All the SDA's with vertical tweeters utilize a progressive point source circuit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Sonic Barrier cut to size. 4' x 12" strips. To be placed directly behind the MW's.
    ngd4vjfp272c.jpg
  • verb
    So today is Loctite Powergrab day. Bought a big tube at Lowe’s because they didn’t have any smaller ones. Despite being forewarned on other threads about the big tube being a bit unwieldy, guess what? Yes it is! Did I heed the advise of fellow CP members? No! Kids when are they ever gonna learn? Pictures below. Gonna try Home Depot. And it’s snowing out! Dang!
    xvattc6y5hfe.jpeg
    pe7lzs89b5nz.jpeg
  • I bought two of the small squeeze tubesfor the cabinet and the large one just like you. I found it easy to use the large tube in the gun to glue the speaker magnets. Towel on bottom with a lazy susan on top to keep it from spinning loosely. Easy peezy. Have fun.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I was able to use the caulking gun for most of it and would spread it out with my finger.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I was able to use the caulking gun for most of it and would spread it out with my finger.

Yep I thought about just going for it. I'll just use the larger tube for the side panels. You must be a contortionist!
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    verb,
    So when do we see the finished panels installed? Lol, you think you guys are fussy about grain orientation. Spent a number of years working for a high end antique dealer. Mostly English and French from the 1800s, when the colonial empires had the pick of the worlds old growth rainforests. Some of those old cabinetmakers were in practice! and they had great options. Luthiers ,boatbuilders, and gunstock makers can get a bit anal too. {:o)
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • verb
    Rrusse11 wrote: »
    verb,
    So when do we see the finished panels installed? Lol, you think you guys are fussy about grain orientation. Spent a number of years working for a high end antique dealer. Mostly English and French from the 1800s, when the colonial empires had the pick of the worlds old growth rainforests. Some of those old cabinetmakers were in practice! and they had great options. Luthiers ,boatbuilders, and gunstock makers can get a bit anal too. {:o)

Thanks @Rrusse11 soon. I plan to finish sand then apply finish before I attach to the sides.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr wrote: »

Yep I thought about just going for it. I'll just use the larger tube for the side panels. You must be a contortionist!

Ya, there were a couple of spots that gave me cramps getting to...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    Ok so I went to Homedepot and bought the small tube of PowerGrab:
    adgc19uiugg3.png
    Has anyone tried this one? Pressurized tube, like Cheez Whiz.
    njj7a7bp7ckx.png
    Not to be confused, do not spread any leftovers on your crackers!
    xxbl6bbb2bo6.png
  • audioluvr
    njj7a7bp7ckx.png
    Not to be confused, do not spread any leftovers on your crackers!

Way cool! I wonder if it has the same strength as the regular stuff?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    Yeah. Good question. Not the extreme as others have used, but to allow flow they may have had to change the formula. Anyway, I bought a tube and gonna give it a try!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    It works ok but very hard to control the flow on the two i used. Seems like all or nothing
  • verb
    Well today is Loctite Power Grab day! I must admit, caulking is not my expertise, but it’s inside the cabinet, what the hey?

Some words of preparation. Or caution!

Wear gloves or have plenty of wipes, or both. Clean your fingers every time you smooth out a bead!

No long sleeves, or in my case bath robe. Wait! TMI! Your sleeves will flop around as your smoothing out the beads, and it will get all over them if your not careful. Then Momma’s not happy.

No need to do the whole cabinet at once! I did the backsides first. Let em dry for a bit, then get the other surfaces later. That way you don’t accidentally muck up a finished bead when applying material nearby.

Pics to follow.

• verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    It works ok but very hard to control the flow on the two i used. Seems like all or nothing

I agree! The triggger really doesn’t modulate the flow rate. It’s either on or off! Good for long runs, but not corners or smaller runs.

The only benefit is the ease of the material flow. The squeeze tube can be a bit unwieldy to dispense material. Especially as the tube empties out.

• verb
    Removed blobs of glue cause it really bothered me. :smiley:
    cg8q81rt8d0k.jpg
    Phase one of Loctite Power Grab complete! Phase two tomorrow! No comments from the peanut gallery on the parallelism of the bead edges!
    3ppkpxmivoyw.jpg

• verb
    Ok back in the saddle again. Work has been crazy lately, which has been interfering with my audio hobby :smiley:

Hasn't stopped me from buying more goodies however. Below are some spikes from Parts Express. Solidly built. Nice brushed silver finish. I like the dual threaded feature so that you can level the speakers on the floor.
    wjl7odb6txlg.jpg

I'm gonna use T-nuts for installation to the bottom endcaps, instead of the included hurricane nuts. If you choose to go the H-nut route, this particular set of spikes uses a M6 thread.

In fact, if anyone needs some for your project, PM me as I bought a bag of 50! I am happy to send you some gratis including shipping. Karma!

qvq6qoumluyi.jpg