Home Theater Towers in the Rear Location

Earthy
Earthy Posts: 488
Is there any practical use for full range towers in the rear of a 7.x.4 atmos setup? Would there be any benefit to having some base capability from those rear locations in the typical action movie?
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
Parasound Halo A21
Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
SVS PB12-ISD Sub
Denon AVR-X6400h
Parasound Halo A51
LG OLED65B7A
Sony UBPX800
Logitech Harmony Elite
PC LSiM 703
Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
Onkyo TX-NR808

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    If you can set you rear speakers to LARGE...go for it. All the better !
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Earthy
    edited December 2017
    Nice, gonna do it. Thanks. 705's in the rear soon to be here!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Earthy wrote: »

Like mine (see sig)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I'm still not sold yet on the speaker placement of Atmos. We have designed and Installed some really bad **** theaters with Atmos and for Atmos listening it's awesome.
    BUT for 5.1 replay I'm not sold. I never ever liked surround speakers at ear height even though by Dolby's standards it's except-able. I'm all out. I have done countless Media and Theater rooms over my career and I find that the surround channels work best at 72 inches to the center of the tweeter.
    Atmos wants you to have your tweeter at around 42 inches when you read the spec's. So using floor standing speakers will work fine and without hearing what 72 inches sound like, you should be sorta fine.
    My reasons for the height issue or resistance is the fact that it makes things sound more localized then involving. If you watch a well recorded movie, you get a real sense of movement and space. When you drop the surrounds to ear height, it takes away a lot of that experience.
    I'm at odds right now with Atmos as a dual role system. As a Atmos system it works but I still feel pressure from the side surround channels. Yes I get it and understand why they want them where they go but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with Dolby's engineers for designing it the way they did.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Yesterday in the theater, the big space ships and little attack planes or whatever they're called , flew over our heads about 10' above us. Perfect. Just like the film was showing them to be. I thought the surround effects were very well done. The bass, I already talked about that.

I've been more than happy with my 5.1 systems for 35 years. When you add a powered sub , the movie soundtracks come ALIVE . So many people don't know or maybe care how darn great a home theater can sound. Also, newer TV shows are friken AWSOME sounding too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Earthy
    I understand the issue with ear level surround. I still have my LS/FX dipoles up high on the wall and decided to try some 7.1 with them. I could not tell a timbre difference oddly. I will have a few speakers to play with soon. Kind of went nuts buying Adorama deals. I typically watch movies alone or on occasion with one or two other people. Typically side 703's will be about 4' from side seats and about 6' from center seat.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• Earthy
    Earthy wrote: »

Like mine (see sig)

Hey Ken, I have some LS70's that did primary duty for 20 years. Those LS speakers still sound great. If I opt to keep all my LSiM's I may need to find them a new home.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Don't know about the Atmos part, but my 5.1 HT is all towers except for the center. The fronts are Aerial Acostics 7T, and the rears are PSB Synchrony One. The center is a PSB Synchrony Center. Anyway, I love the audio part of movies, and when I use the HT for music with surround sound, it rocks. Anyway, your electronics, cables, and power are just as important in the HT as in the stereo, so don't overlook that.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.