SPDIF v Coaxial for SACD?

Options
sponger
sponger Posts: 325
edited December 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Long story, but I'm skipping the HDMI for audio output from the Sony player. Also, for the record, the player is not the problem. The 3312CI is a buggy AVR, but I've gotten used to that. Not interested in 5.1 anyway since it's a 2.0 arrangement.

The Sony manual doesn't say anything about using optical / coax for SACD. But, it does appear to work, especially since it's not 5.1 playback. So far, the S15s in stereo have made my SACDs sound pretty great. Miles Davis' trumpet solos really shine through these speakers. Bass violin (aka "double bass") is fast and punchy.

I did some searching to see what others say about optical / coax SACD. Lots of differing opinions like HDMI and analog being the only two "legal" aka "licensed" methods of SACD output connections. Another person said that between SPDIF and Coax, the latter is the better option.

The Sony has both optical and coax, so any opinions on which is supposedly better for SACD is much appreciated. I'd go with the Denon DACs over the Sony's, so analog is not something I'm considering. That is unless I should consider it.

Also, if anyone has heard anything about SACD being licensed only for specific connection types, that would be interesting as well. Thanks in advance.

Denon X7200WA
LSiM 705 703 704c
Denon DP 400
Yamaha CDC 775

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited December 2017
    Options
    DSD can't be sent over either of those. HDMI if your DAC can decode DSD or analog are your options I believe.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sponger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If it's working, and the video from the Sony displays "DSD 2 Channel," is the player down mixing the signal?
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited December 2017
    Options
    As Nightfall said, DSD can’t be sent over those connections.

IIRC, for it to be sent over one of those connections it HAS to be converted from DSD to PCM in the player first.

If you want the Denon to receive and decode the DSD signal, you’re going to have to use HDMI.
  • sponger
    Options
    OK. Thanks. Got confused there since the screen was still telling me DSD. You guys have confirmed that it's impossible. Not surprised. But I suppose if my ears didn't hear the difference, then it really doesn't matter, lol.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited December 2017
    Options
    They only other none hdmi between Denon products was the older Denon Link. It was an RJ45 connector between older Denon uni players and Denon receiver. I believe the 4th generation Denon link was in fact a coax type of RCA connector. Yes between my Denon 3805 and Denon 3910 Denonlink was a superior connection as it kept everything in the digital realm. Shortly after that they (Sony) allowed HDMI to carry the signal and yes it was much more in use. I agree with others here that older coax/SPDIF was never in play. That being said IF and this is big IF your receiver must have a way to decide DSD if it don't well it will not happen.
  • sponger
    Options
    Very interesting to read about another case of patents / territorialism being the only barrier to entry as opposed to manufacturing cost benefit considerations. Another example that comes to mind is Sony preventing DVD-CDs from becoming commonplace. At least that was my understanding of it.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    There are ways around it. It requires either the very original Playstation 3 or an Oppo player. Rip the DSD files off the SACD with either of those then you can do whatever you want with the files. There are DACs that can play DSD files via SPDIF up to DSD 64, it's just a copy protection thing doing it directly from the disc.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    sponger wrote: »
    Long story, but I'm skipping the HDMI for audio output from the Sony player. Also, for the record, the player is not the problem. The 3312CI is a buggy AVR, but I've gotten used to that. Not interested in 5.1 anyway since it's a 2.0 arrangement.

The Sony manual doesn't say anything about using optical / coax for SACD. But, it does appear to work, especially since it's not 5.1 playback. So far, the S15s in stereo have made my SACDs sound pretty great. Miles Davis' trumpet solos really shine through these speakers. Bass violin (aka "double bass") is fast and punchy.

I did some searching to see what others say about optical / coax SACD. Lots of differing opinions like HDMI and analog being the only two "legal" aka "licensed" methods of SACD output connections. Another person said that between SPDIF and Coax, the latter is the better option.

The Sony has both optical and coax, so any opinions on which is supposedly better for SACD is much appreciated. I'd go with the Denon DACs over the Sony's, so analog is not something I'm considering. That is unless I should consider it.

Also, if anyone has heard anything about SACD being licensed only for specific connection types, that would be interesting as well. Thanks in advance.

Depending on which Sony player you have, I'd consider using the analog outputs. A good sacd player is going to have better dacs and overall better build quality than a receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sponger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    What makes me iffy about the Sony's DACs is that Sony didn't advertise them at all in any form. I chose between this and the Panasonic flagship at the time, the Panasonic clearly touting its 32bit analog connections as a major selling point. So I figured Sony would do the same if the analogs were worth touting, and so that's why they didn't. Also, the 790 is considerably cheaper than other SACD players, and I just couldn't see how that was possible without cutting corners with like say the DACs.

But, it doesn't hurt to try. I was expecting the forum's usual suspects to immediately balk at cheapo Sony DACs when compared to the AKCs in the Denon. Since that turned out not to be the case, then I guess why not. The only risk I suppose is the blow to my ego from not hearing the difference either way.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If you have a high quality DAC that can accept a RJ45 input, I would go that route. If you have a Denon (or another brand) "universal" player, what I did with my DVD-5910 is tap the DSD outputs on the circuit board and install an RJ45 output jack sending the DSD signal(s) to my self made DAC (using the Twisted Pear Buffallo II DAC board and some self made tube output analog boards located here):http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/119264/fully-balanced-buffalo-ii-dac-with-tube-i-zator-tube-output

This is the best sounding DSD I have personally heard and the way I recommend going for DSD.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • sponger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I took a look at those pics and was floored by all the tubes and giant capacitors jumping out at me. That must've been a fun project. I'm guessing it's 32/384 with S/N of something crazy. Those are really the only specs I look at.

I did the analogs from the Sony and it wasn't disappointing.

I'm guessing you have a background in electrical engineering? Any good books you'd recommend for someone with no electronics background who might consider projects like the one you undertook?
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    sponger wrote: »
    I took a look at those pics and was floored by all the tubes and giant capacitors jumping out at me. That must've been a fun project. I'm guessing it's 32/384 with S/N of something crazy. Those are really the only specs I look at.

I did the analogs from the Sony and it wasn't disappointing.

I'm guessing you have a background in electrical engineering? Any good books you'd recommend for someone with no electronics background who might consider projects like the one you undertook?

I think projects like that require a certain skill level. Best to probably practice on a kit that's easier if you have no experience. Just a thought....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lessons In Electric Circuits by Tony R. Kuphaldt. No charge, free, and he is a smart guy. Start with fundamentals, Vol 1 & 2, DC and AC.

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/

Long live DIY.

Like Tony said, start easy, not something that can kill you with high current.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    No, no electrical engineering background on my part. Total DIY with help from others with knowledge. The DAC was my first DIY project I did. But, I did have a fair amount of soldering/desoldering and alteration(s) to components before doing this project.

I have not read the online "book" that Rich posted above, but Rich has more experience than I do in DIY and would trust his recommendation for sure. Get into DIY (within reason) and gain your knowledge and understanding. It's fun to alter and/or create your own electronic components.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The extent of my engineering background was when I had a Lionel train as a kid. :D

I figured for a start, it is good to know about what you are dealing with. We have AC converted to DC in our projects. Know about that and you should respect what can tickle you, tingle you and what can kill you.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    and what can kill you.

I wake up and heed these five words. If it works out.. I get to say them again the next day.

• sponger
    Options
    Great advice. I bookmarked that link from SCompRacer.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    My Sony SACD player doesn't output ANY SACD audio via the optic output jack whatsoever. This was a blessing in disguise as it led me to bypass the pre in my 1999 Yamaha HT integrated and send analog directly to my "integrated" power amp. I followed suit on my Yamaha Blu-Ray player with even better DAC's and the improvement was even more noticeable.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    and what can kill you.

I wake up and heed these five words. If it works out.. I get to say them again the next day.

On a grand scale no doubt. They'll just find your smoking boots....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    and what can kill you.

iqd5aqs1haps.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a