My 1C upgrade path

Options
Manticore
Manticore Posts: 408
edited December 2017 in Vintage Speakers
Since joining the Polk family i have learned more about speakers and HiFi in general than i have ever known. You all have been instrumental in this learning curve. I thank you all.

Back in May/June i found a pair of 7or8/10 1C's. After reading, and reading and reading so many of the past & current posts about the mods available i decided to give it a try. It is really a shame so many photos and threads were lost during the upgrade to Vanilla. Oh and photo bucket sucks too.!!!!!!!!!

I did the recommended upgrades. Everything except:
I did not rewire the internal speaker wire
I did not replace the inductors
I did not redo the end caps
I did not replace the binding post cup i used the original black plastic one
There was no need to redo the grill cloth

I feel if i would like to do any of the above it is easily accessible for a future project.

Its easy to become overwhelmed when delving into uncharted & unknown territory but, the past posts about the upgrade process are priceless!

I used Gimpods boards purchased from http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/About-Us-1.html
I went with Sonicaps & Mills from http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php?osCsid=3174936273727b7a639edec23537a8fc
Four new RDO-194 tweeters from Polk
Larry's rings purchased from @MrBuhl (Thanks Larry & Ed)
Black hole 5, dynamat xtreem,
Cardas Audio CCGG S Binding Posts from http://www.douglasconnection.com/Cardas-Audio-CCGG-S-Binding-Posts-CACCGGS.htm
Neutrik SpeakOn sockets and cable terminals w/Supra Rondo Cable
Speaker spikes from http://www.oregondv.com/15spike.htm
There were some other things necessary for the rebuild so i used some of the recommended products & suppliers from http://www.gimpod.com/

To say the least its been a really rewarding experience. It is really straight forward doing all the mods. Just one or two areas where i felt i needed some assistance. Dave @westmassguy ,
Tony @gimpod , @F1nut , @Toolfan66 , @nspindel were very kind and responsive no matter how trivial the questions seemed. Thanks guys.

I will follow up with some photos and impressions since i now have about 96 hrs on them.
Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats on your "New" 1C's! They are a special speaker that deserves all the attention you have given them.

Around another 100-150 hours of burn-in on the new components, and you'll be fully rewarded for all your efforts!
  • TNTsTunes
    Options
    This site has been a wealth of knowledge to me and many others too.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised with the sound improvement new more transparent grill cloth provided.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @Manticore,

Congratulations, and I hope your 1Cs give you years of pleasurable listening.

Knowing the influence of this site, however, I suspect you will soon have an itch to dive down the rabbit hole even deeper.

To tickle that impulse a bit: How come you decided not to replace the inductors? :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Congratulations! Glad it worked out - I made most of the same upgrades to my 1c's, but didn't get to the Supra Rondo and Cardas level - congrats and enjoy them! The only addition for me was Dave (@Westmassguy) did make up inductors for mine. Further shove down the rabbit hole idea - dreadnought, also worth it. :wink:

Still, very similar work and very rewarding improvement in sound, while they aren't currently in the rotation since I built up my 2btl's, I also haven't been able to part with them, in fact I may just switch them out when I get home!

Put some major juice to those babies and they really sing!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Enjoy those puppies :smile:
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No mention of spikes. Should be tied for first things to do along with securing the magnets and backing plates.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    Slapaho wrote: »
    No mention of spikes.

Sorted.

r3pfdbizlfpd.jpg
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    ^ Still not as cool as Spinal Tap...
  • Manticore
    Options
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    This site has been a wealth of knowledge to me and many others too.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised with the sound improvement new more transparent grill cloth provided.

I am sure you are correct about that. Since bringing home the 1C's the grill covers went into the closet...so to speak :D I will only use them if i will have company that warrants them ex: grandchild, pets. The grill covers do not have any snags or rips as of yet.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    @Manticore,

Congratulations, and I hope your 1Cs give you years of pleasurable listening.

Knowing the influence of this site, however, I suspect you will soon have an itch to dive down the rabbit hole even deeper.

To tickle that impulse a bit: How come you decided not to replace the inductors? :)

Thanks,
    From everything that i have read it just didn't seem warranted. Folks have said there was an improvement but relatively small (if i read correctly). I may be in touch with Dave about this in the future B) .
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Congratulations! Glad it worked out - I made most of the same upgrades to my 1c's, but didn't get to the Supra Rondo and Cardas level - congrats and enjoy them! The only addition for me was Dave (@Westmassguy) did make up inductors for mine. Further shove down the rabbit hole idea - dreadnought, also worth it. :wink:

Put some major juice to those babies and they really sing!

Thanks Ed,
    I honestly didnt know what,if anything the Quad Supra Rondo cable would bring. The SDA drivers have developed a larger projected sound field since all the upgrades. Not sure if its due to the cable or cumulative of all the upgrades but, i think it has something to do with it. Since having four wires to work with i had to splice or make a jumper from +1,+2 & for -1&-2. Pretty simple stuff.
    i03z3k47kr65.jpg

Hmmm the dreadnought does sound interesting :o
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    Slapaho wrote: »
    No mention of spikes. Should be tied for first things to do along with securing the magnets and backing plates.

Oh yes, i did do spikes.
    Speaker spikes from http://www.oregondv.com/15spike.htm
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    I have read on previous upgrade posts that some folks believed there speakers were made on a late Friday evening. I also believe i have one of those.
    b1t4fc70fnrw.jpg

This is one place i was not sure what to do. I missed reading the posts about using a dremel on the rings to get them to fit. One speakers center brace was just fractionally off center so i used a sharp wood chisel to remove the blockage. Barely 1/16" or so but the second one i decided to cut the rings with a pair of straight tin snips instead of the dremel. It worked just fine.
    vmgzvswhgsdo.jpg

New black marker lines were made and the snips worked great. Easy peasy. Rings fit & function as intended.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Howdy all,
    Been under the weather as of late but feeling a bit better now. I have well over 400 hours on the upgraded 1C's and all i can say is Wow. If you have been debating the upgrades listen to the fine folks here and jump on in.

I did not do a piece at a time i went full in as i described above so i can not say that one thing added and one didn't. It does seem to be cumulative. I am saying that i am ecstatic beyond words about the sound these speakers are capable of playing after the upgrades. They most certainly did not sound bad before but after is well, for me bliss.

I can not write a review as eloquently as say ( @DarqueKnight ) does... So i will not even try. I so enjoy his reviews. I will say i am very, very pleased and it was money and (enjoyable) time well spent.
    To those thinking of undertaking the upgrades the one bit of advice i can say is, "if your not sure just ask someone". I can see there could be mistakes done that could be costly to fix or render your speakers unplayable. I asked a few folks for input and no one steered me in the wrong direction. Thanks to you all.
    Post edited by Manticore on
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration @Manticore !!! I got bit by the flu bug new years eve and am still not 100% !!! But I do have enough strength to install H-Nuts !!!
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path#latest
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.