Ceiling Speaker Placement

Options
Hi - I just purchased 4 700-LS Speakers and I'm trying to determine where to locate them in a fairly funky room setup which I've tried to recreate in my crude diagram. It is basically a big open basement but with some complications.
______
I I
__________I I
I I
I XXXXXXXXXXXI
I I
I I
I_______I
- Because of ductwork there is a an 8 ft wide area running across the middle (the part with the x's) of the space that has a low ceiling - about 6'6. On either side of the low ceiling there are normal 7'6 foot ceilings.
- I want to put one pair in the top right area which is 14x21 until you get to the low ceiling and about 14x27 to the wall.
- The other pair will go in the lower left area which is about 10x18 (clearly my drawing isn't to scale)
- In the middle area where will be a 5.1 setup with two other speakers in the ceiling which i typically won't be using for music but i could.
- At times both pairs of Polks will be on and at times it will be just one pair.

My questions are..

1. Approx how far apart should the speakers be in each room?
2. should i even be doing two pairs like this?
3. what else am i missing?

Thx - and i know there isn't an exact answer, I'm not looking for perfection just looking to avoid big errors.

Comments

• damich44
    Options
    argh...my diagram didn't come through correctly...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The tweeters move and you'll direct them towards the seating positions

It's really about your seating positions. Speakers can be placed 6'-9' apart
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • damich44
    Options
    u2matrw9oto7.jpg
    bx3y3v83r9h6.jpg
    Maybe these pics help. One set of speakers will be in area above ping pong table. Other set in area where other pic was taken. You can see the low ceiling in the middle. Thx in advance.
  • damich44
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The tweeters move and you'll direct them towards the seating positions

It's really about your seating positions. Speakers can be placed 6'-9' apart

Thanks - these would typically for areas where we are standing/moving around a lot. Not that much sitting. My concern is that if, for instance, in the 14 x 27 room I put them 8 ft apart and i'm standing to to the right of the right speaker (or left of the left speaker) that I will basically only hear one channel. But I may be off base.