Here I go again...................

Just when you think that all is well in stereoland...............along comes another pair of speakers.
First there was the brand new KEF's that I just couldn't bond with and traded for the SVS Towers.
I monkied around with bi-wiring those and introduced a Niles box into the works to tame the tweeters and was then content..............for a bit.
The other day an old man posted a pair of Klipsch KG3.2's for a 150 bucks.
What was I to do, they're like Polk monitor 7's on steroids, with 8" woofers, a 10" passive and the Klipsch Tatrix horn !
He delivered them for me even !
They were a little dirty, with a chip here and there, but quite intact and passed the 5 second passive push.
So now the die was cast and I had to figure out just where everything was going to go, never mind where the heck to put the now dormant SVS seventy five pound monsters.
I ended up disassembling my brand new rack that hid behind the curtain in back of my stereo rack and stuffed the SVS' there, to get them out of sight.
Next the whole left side of the room (1960's L shaped bookcases) had to be moved front and center and visa versa.
Many fur balls were found in the deep recesses !
I did a little carpentry this morning to rebuild a spot for my radio collection, then fired the Klipsch's up on their new wooden perches.
Damn they sound tight !
So, once again I score another 150 dollar special that smokes my previous over a thousand dollar purchase.
I think I'm going to remain a scavenger for now on...............................

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Congrats on the new speaks - highly efficient and airy sounding (to me anyway)

It's a maddening hobby at times, synergy and upgrades always abound, the never ending story LOL. I'm not so sure about KG's being Monitor 7's on steroids, I think they are different sounds altogether, but they are fine speakers regardless, I had a friend who had a set and they always sounded good to me!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    edited December 2017
    You're going where I've been years ago. B)

It's fun if you can afford it. I just wish I didn't sell the many, many pieces of audio history that I've owned for a while.

I've never heard SVS yet but I've read they sound great.

I've owned ALOT of Klipsch speakers and still own some. Along with a few smaller speakers now, I have 4 Klipsch subs. 3 are in 2 of my systems. My main HT system has 2 12" subs on it. My dining room has a 10" hooked up to it. I owned a 15" Klipsch sub for a while but I couldn't get it to not chuff out the port hole. I forgot about the 4th klipsch sub I own until about 6 months ago. It is in the back room under some Polk SDA-CRS's. Crazy.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Tony M wrote: »
    I just wish I didn't sell the many, many pieces of audio history that I've owned for a while.

Kidding...........right? :p We've seen that warehouse of yours!

• Tony M
    I wish ... :# ..

It's more like a huge storage locker ..
  • Speaking of subs, I just introduced my newer SVS sub into the Klipsch KG3.2 system.
    I figured it's be a better match than the Cambridge Audio dinosaur, because it has a phase knob and probably a much "faster" woofer.
    I was right.
    That Cambridge Soundworks is just too big to lift, so I placed it on a scatter rug and dragged it into the diningroom.
  • Tony M
    ^^^
    Moving HEAVY things on a scrap piece carpet or a towel or something of the sort is my wife's favorite trick to use to save my / our back/s. B)

She really LOVES when she can do it. :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    I used to use inverted carpet scraps to drag my Cornies around on the (harwood) floor in the living room.

They were tedious to pick up.
    They were pretty tedious to listen to, as well. :|

15414336868_4c36deb6de_b.jpgRcornieoly by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    For a second there I thought you were talking about dogs
    N and G mixup. Carry on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    I think older Onkyo receivers or amps were a great match for the classic Klipsch speakers I've owned.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2017
    "What this country needs is a really good five-watt amplifier."
    -- Col. Paul W. Klipsch
    https://www.stereophile.com/news/11338/index.html

If one's gotta listen to "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers, one owes it to oneself to use SE (or PP) 2A3 amplification to do it!

Col. Klipsch hisse'f famously used a Brook PP 2A3 amplifier (which, incidentally, was good for ca. 10 watts).

https://www.tubecad.com/2007/12/blog0128.htm
    http://www.itishifi.com/search/label/Paul W Klipsch
    http://www.tiffe.de/roehren/VTV/VTV13.pdf

f6cf4sbg28oj.png

nuzb60c0sfs8.png

12276345056_2fd8632dd5_b.jpgScan_Pic0016 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    Actually, two other bits of Heritage Klipsch ephemera.

1) the best I ever heard my own Cornies sound was when I was testing a Marantz 8B I had rehabilitated. The 8B is just a heck of an amplifier (PP EL34 for about 35 wpc, give or take) -- one of the finest commercially-made amplifiers I've ever heard with my own personal ears.

16308480833_1b59dc981d_b.jpgMarantz8Bfrontlookingup-1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

2) in the halcyon days of the Klipsch forum, there was a cult of folks who espoused the redoubtable ol' harman/kardon hk430 "twin power" (25 wpc) soiled state receiver as a danged good amp for the Heritage Klipsch loudspeakers.

I have no data on this myself, though.
    I can say that the hk430 was a fine match for the heritage Polk Audio loudspeakers! :)

11324607964_fc5f4a9661_b.jpgwhatmore by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • msg
    Neato stuff, Doc. Do you still have that 8B?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    No :( It wasn't mine -- there was a fellow in Worcester, MA who posted to audioasylum looking for someone to do a basic rehab (he bought a kit of parts from, if memory serves, Jim McShane). I did it for him, and we were both very pleased with the outcome.

An 8B is on my bucket list of amps I would (still) like to acquire. It's a heck of a piece of hardware.

Purists will decry the removal of the 'bumblebees', but I can tell you that, even with 'cannon fodder' Rooskie EL34s in it for smoke testing, this amplifier sounded fine, fine, fine.

16308480653_0da092aa4e_z.jpgMarantz8Bafter by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • msg
    edited December 2017
    Well that was right nice of you.
    Would that have been considered a "neat" layout for pre-board days?
    What did that rehab consist of? Caps mostly?
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,048
    Speaking of 8b's i saw one in the wild for the first time last Sunday at the local hi-fi museum. I dunno if it was for sale or not but it sure is a fine looking piece of hardware. At some point I'll be looking for something like that to power my new khorns. I've found that 20wpc is more than adequate with them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Speaking of 8b's i saw one in the wild for the first time last Sunday at the local hi-fi museum. I dunno if it was for sale or not but it sure is a fine looking piece of hardware. At some point I'll be looking for something like that to power my new khorns. I've found that 20wpc is more than adequate with them.

Horns need tubes bro. I'm not a big horn fan, but some horns on tubes can make you wet your shorts. The older Klipsch sound like a different speaker with tubes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable