Inexpensive 2 channel

Options
I'm looking for small book shelf size speaker for 2 channel use with tv. Using denon receiver. Although I'm a vintage Polk guy, I don't have anything smaller than 5s.

Read good review on pioneer, but would like to know about Polk. $350 pair tops.

Thanks

Answers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,596
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Polk S15 or S20 comes to mind, since you are already accustomed to the Polk sound.

What is the exact model # of your Denon receiver?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    The new (ish) line of ELAC loudspeakers "designed by Andrew Jones" is getting really excellent press in many circles. There are several models from downright cheap to not horrifically expensive -- and all seem to float a lot of folks' boats.

Here's a not-entirely-random example.
    http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/elac-vs-my-wallet-both-win-a-review-of-the-uni-fi-ub5-standmount-speaker.2080/
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Pioneer apparently is using Andrew Jones. My Denon is an old model 3802 that is used only in stereo mode. HTR runs in a different dedicated tv/movie room.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Pioneer apparently is using Andrew Jones. My Denon is an old model 3802 that is used only in stereo mode. HTR runs in a different dedicated tv/movie room.

Andrew Jones, ex-of TAD, designed a line of inexpensive Pioneers a few years back. The loudspeakers were (short-lived) darlings of the high-value hifi blogosphere for a while, but the pundits moved on...

more to the point, they moved on to the ELACs (Jones' more recent 'high value' line)... many of the fanboys of the Pioneers have (it seems) happily thrown them under the bus for the ELACs. You pays your money and you takes your chance. :|

I've not heard any of the ELACs in question, but folks I know - whose ears I trust - have... and many of those folks are lauding the ELACs with vigor.

The Pioneers on the used market ought to be darned cheap, though.

Jones is, again by all accounts, a good guy and he clearly knows his stuff. The (price no object) TAD hardware is pretty top-notch.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    lots of options in that price range, especially if you are willing to go used. I really liked the Energy RC-10s I had for a while. I also still think that the RT25is are great little bookies for the coin, easy to drive and have that classic warmish Polk sound.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • NeilGabriel
    Options
    The elac's sound good. I see best buy carries them in its magnolia section....thanks.

I do like to go used with my stuff because usually good value.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Neil, @DSkip just posted some great deals in the For Sale section.
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    Options
    I haven't heard the elacs. But, after about 30 hours of moderate listening, the S15 seem to have balanced out and sound fantastic. The stage seems to have widened also. I don't have an RTA or test tones handy, but I think these really are stable at 50hz as the specs claim. They sound much bigger than they look. At $180 price matching Fry's to Amazon, I feel like I got my money's worth and then some.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • NeilGabriel
    Options
    My wife went out and got some Klipsch for xmas---seem to have good ratings and sound good for dialogue on TV
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,596
    Options
    What model # are they?
    My wife went out and got some Klipsch for xmas---seem to have good ratings and sound good for dialogue on TV