marantz pm6006 with lsim 703

Options
Hi. I just received a marantz PM 6006 like present and I love this amp! I am interested by plugging polk lsim 703 on it.
Did someone already experiment this mix?
I am just not totally sure if the marantz can deliver enough power for these polk.
Marantz runs in 4 ohm and it seems polk lsim 703 sounds great at 4ohm too even though they are rating in 8ohm!
have you guys some reviews or test about it? Ideas or suggestions are highly welcome!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The Marantz will run speakers 4-8 ohm, the labeling I think you are probably referring to just means that 4ohm is the lowest ohm speaker that it will drive.

Your PM6006 is rated at 45wpc. I'm running my new 703s on my 40wpc NAD and it's sounding good to me.

Just hook them up and give them a try and see how it sounds. You literally have nothing to lose.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Running my 703s off an adcom 5500 and no complaints here.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Not sure how this is related at all to the OP's question, but glad you are enjoying your 703s they are a fantastic speaker.
    Legender wrote: »
    Running my 703s off an adcom 5500 and no complaints here.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Hi. I just received a marantz PM 6006 like present and I love this amp! I am interested by plugging polk lsim 703 on it.
    Did someone already experiment this mix?
    I am just not totally sure if the marantz can deliver enough power for these polk.
    Marantz runs in 4 ohm and it seems polk lsim 703 sounds great at 4ohm too even though they are rating in 8ohm!
    have you guys some reviews or test about it? Ideas or suggestions are highly welcome!

You have much to learn, grasshopper.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited December 2017
    Options
    --Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

The power consumption noted on the back of the amp is around 400 watts. Even at 4 ohms, total advertised RMS output is 120 watts. Is the 400 watts max watts? I dunno. But, with max watts generally being double RMS watts, that's potentially 200 watts total RMS output. That's 100 wpc RMS @4 ohms. Are output calculations so straightforward? No. But, the amp's weight of 17lbs is similar to stereo amps with significantly higher advertised output. What I'm saying is it could possibly be underrated. Also, my understanding is that the actual ohm load of speakers varies during play. It's apparently worse with cheaper speakers, independent testing having discovered actual ohm loads reaching down to 2 ohms for 8 ohm rated speakers. The 703 being of superior build quality is probably a whole lot more stable, but when it drops down a few ohms, that amp will be able to deliver. Great gift of an amp. Congratulations.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Power consumption has nothing to do with power output, get that number out of your head unless your concerned about your electric bill.

the Marantz is rated as such....

45 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
    60 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)

Driving the 703'S should not be a problem in a med. sized room for 2 channel. Hook them up and don't worry about it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Polk recommends at least 20 watts continuous power output minimum into 8 ohms on the 703s. The PM6006 will work fine. As far as I'm aware the amp does not have a separate 4 ohm setting, it just outputs slightly more power (watts) into a 4 ohm load than an 8 ohm load. Just don't push the volume level too high or you risk causing the amp output to clip the signal going into the speakers which would overheat the voice coils on the speaker drivers. The damage is not something you would be able to hear until your speakers started sounding like the tweeters were no longer there.

Enjoy the tunes!
  • daoudav6128
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your answers!!
    I was just à bit worry about the fact these polk are a bit power hungry and read many times it s better to run them on a powerful amp.
    And yes, it seems they work very well in 4 ohm!
    Thanks an other time for your comments and time!

• daoudav6128
    Options
    And .....I really love this PM6006, it s a lovely gem!
  • F1nut
    Options

Maybe if I shout you'll get it.

THE SPEAKERS ARE 8 OHM NOMINAL. YOUR MARANTZ IS NOT DRIVING THEM IN 4 OHM.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Maybe if I shout you'll get it.

THE SPEAKERS ARE 8 OHM NOMINAL. YOUR MARANTZ IS NOT DRIVING THEM IN 4 OHM.

Lol. True .....which also means they are not power hungry. Don't know where this info is coming from.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The 703s being power hungry and/or loving power has been mentioned several times on the forum. In my limited experience so far, they do just fine with 40wpc in my opinion. However, they probably do sound "better" with 100-150wpc, and are certainly capable of those power levels.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lol. True .....which also means they are not power hungry. Don't know where this info is coming from.

A few times that it's been mentioned in my threads:
    Clipdat wrote: »

Would the NAD still drive the 703s adequately? The rep mentioned potential additional power requirements.
    F1nut wrote: »
    They would seriously benefit from more power.

Clipdat wrote: »
    Also in another thread I posted, Jesse mentioned that my NAD would not be the best fit for them, from an amplification/wattage perspective.
    DSkip wrote: »
    The LSiM 703 isn't far out of reach when on sale.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nope. Forgot the NAD. Not a good fit.

rooftop59 wrote: »
    I have no experience with integrateds that nice or with tube amps, but I can say that when I had the LSiM 703s and moved from a parasound HCA1000 (100 wpc with pretty stout bass) to a rotel rb-993 (200 wpc) there was a big difference in the tautness and control of the bass, and the overall sound stage widened a bit as well. I was MUCH happier with the sound overall. So although the LSiMs are “easy” to drive, power is still your friend...

• daoudav6128
    Options
    Here is one measurement i found for the polk . It s one of the site i saw explaining lsim 703 could work well in 4 ohm
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "Polk specifies the LSiM703 as being "compatible with 8 ohm outputs," but I suggest that a good 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver would work best with this speaker."

That basically just means that during certain dynamic musical passages, with certain frequency ranges, especially at louder volumes (higher current draw), the impedance of the 703s could momentarily drop to 4ohm. In which case you would want to be running them off an amplifier that is compatible with a 4ohm to 8ohm speaker load range - which you are.

So, all is well!
    Here is one measurement i found for the polk . It s one of the site i saw explaining lsim 703 could work well in 4 ohm

• F1nut
    Options

You STILL don't get it. Your speakers are 8 ohm nominal. That means overall they are 8 ohm loads. Like most speakers that load fluctuates with the frequencies, but for the most part stays around the rated nominal load.

Just because a certain frequency in a rated 8 ohm nominal speaker may rise to 16 ohms does not mean they require an amp rated to drive 16 ohm loads. By the same measure just because a certain frequency drops to 4 ohms does not mean they require an amp rated to drive a 4 ohm load. On the other hand, if a speaker has dips lower than 2 ohms they absolutely require a very beefy amp.

President of Club Polk

• daoudav6128
    Options
    OK! Well, Thanks for your help; my english is not as Good as i would like and there are still Things I don t understand. I thought it was the same case as svs ultra bookshelf which are rating in 8ohm but have been tested and reviewed many times in 4ohm . An other time, i apologize for my english nivel and I thank you all for your help and reflexions.Then, i will plug my polk in 8 ohm and I hope my marantz will give them enough Juice !
  • tonyb
    Options
    What F1NUT meant by saying they would benefit from more power, was....any speaker would benefit from more power, which is correct. You won't hurt anything on the Nad as long as you don't try and bury the volume dial. All that is meant is that with additional power, you'd get a more lively dynamic sound from them.

Plus running them with a subwoofer would take a good amount of stress off of them, even more easier for the Nad.

Amplifiers only run according to what is asked of them, they don't automatically put out x amount of power or run in certain ohms. Your speakers are 8 ohm nominal, meaning they can go above or dip below 8 but average out to 8. This is an easy load for most any amplifier....even receivers.

Can you run them off the Nad ? Yes
    Will they sound better with addition power/amp ? Yes
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    That Marantz will drive the 703's fine.

As others have said, more power will not hurt. I have yet to see a speaker that when hooked up to a larger, more powerful, quality amp not respond positively.

Usually I notice tighter bottom, better instrumental separation and wider soundstage.

As Jesse is trying to make clear, the amp does not set impedance (or, Ohms). the speaker does, the amp tries to deliver what the speaker is asking for.
  • daoudav6128
    Options
    I understand. I am still beginner in hifi world and all of you are very helpfull !
    Do you think it would be a Good idea to bi amping the lsim 703 ( pm 6006 allows this) to separate high and low or is it better to keep them in a standard plug in to begin?
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Keep it standard with the wiring. True bi-Amping will require a whole lot more than what the PM6006 is capable of on it's own.
  • daoudav6128
    Options
    OK. Will make it like that! But just to understand....what more would need this amp for bi amping?
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    OK. Will make it like that! But just to understand....what more would need this amp for bi amping?

Another amp...
  • daoudav6128
    Options
    Ah ah . Ok. Will wait a bit then.
  • daoudav6128
    Options
    Thanks for your time
  • F1nut
    Options
    OK! Well, Thanks for your help; my english is not as Good as i would like and there are still Things I don t understand. I thought it was the same case as svs ultra bookshelf which are rating in 8ohm but have been tested and reviewed many times in 4ohm . An other time, i apologize for my english nivel and I thank you all for your help and reflexions.Then, i will plug my polk in 8 ohm and I hope my marantz will give them enough Juice !

Great, you've got it now.

Your English is far better than I can do in whatever your native language is, so no worries my friend.

Enjoy!!!

President of Club Polk

• daoudav6128
    Options
    Thanks for you help!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Tell us more about your rig and yourself. What are you using for a source such as a CD player or computer? Where are you from?

President of Club Polk

• daoudav6128
    Options
    For the time, just have a computer and an old cd player philips 130 from......1991 I think...
    Still working well!! Step by step trying to make a Good quality sound system . My budget for the time is Over. .......waiting after Christmas to be able to buy Good câbles which is something I still not have! Put all i had in lsim......