Ultra focus 8000 cable replacement

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
Has anyone found a viable cable replacement option for the Polk Ultrafocus 8000s? I’ve got a pair I’ve been using at my desk for years, and I get an odd, staticky sound at times, which appears to be driven by the cable. Just opened up a brand new set for a work trip, and I’m getting the same thing with this brand new set.

I ask bc the stock cable has a bit off an odd shape on the headphone end, so I doubt just any cable will do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I would bet my left nut that the odd, static sound comes from your cellphone being too close to the headphones and/or source.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    edited December 2017
    Double Post Edited.
    VVVV Now it makes the one below me seem out of place :p
    Sorry Vik.
    Post edited by mrbiron on
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    ^^^^ Shouldn't the second post be for the right nut? :p
  • mrbiron
    Ooooo....double posts!
    Haven't had one of those in a while.
    My wife has laid claim to the "right" and i am not allowed to gamble with it without her consent.
  • jflail2
    Odd. I get it from both a direct connection to my phone, and my headphone amp on my desk. Regardless of source, it’s the same.

• mrbiron
    When i have my phone on my desk, i get buzzing/static in my speakers right before an incoming phonecall, a text, and/or email. If the phone is pulled over a foot away, it doesn't happen.

I'll let the more scientific guys explain that one. I just know it happens.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited December 2017
    The bigger question asks where your left nut is before an incoming phone call, text or email and if that is moved does it make a difference?

Just asking...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Usually sleeping under my desk......slacker!
    I don't know what you mean by "moved"? That would imply that is moves on it's own and or someone moves it for me in which case, i should get on the cash grab train like rest of the country right now. ;)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The cable is 3.5 mm on the device end and 2.5 mm on the headphone jack end. It is a stereo cable except it also has the ability for a third signal to control or mute volume. The cable is flat to reduce tangles but as observed the 2.5 mm connector is proprietary. I would recommend contacting Polk to see if they can provide a replacement. There are 3.5mm to 2.5mm generic cables with return audio control but the shape of the connector is likely to be a problem on the 2.5mm end. The 3.5mm end is standard.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited December 2017
    Polk should have them. I have the UF8000's, Buckle, and the Hinge headphones. I have ordered cables for the latter two from Polk.

Call: 1.800.377.POLK (7655)
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jflail2
    Thanks Emlyn. You're spot on with the odd shape/size for the can side, so I haven't found viable replacement as of yet.

WLDock, these are actually fresh out of the box. Ordered a second pair a year or so ago on sale and tucked them away. Odd static/feedback right out of the box (including when my phone is several meters away from them and not connected), so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

• jflail2
    To follow up here a few months later, I was on the train to NYC last week and decided I didn't want to listen to music, nor the people around me, so I put these on without the cable connected and turned on the noise cancelling. Turns out it's something in the headphones themselves, and is related to noise cancelling, as I received that buzz/static/feedback with no cable connected whatsoever.

I think I'm going with the Sony NC bluetooth headphones as replacements. While expensive, they apparently don't have any issues with NC buzzing, and the blue tooth sounds rather handy.