Volume difference on new to me Monitor 5Bs

Options
Hi Gents,

Today I bought a pair of near mint 1986 Monitor 5 Bs They sounded great at the sellers house, but when I got them home it turns out that one speaker plays substantially louder at any volume setting than the other. I have swapped them from side to side, cleaned the fuse and holder, as well as the input wire terminals on the "weaker" speaker but nothing changed.
My amp does not have a balance control, but if it did I think that if I adjusted the balance heavily toward the "weaker" speaker it would sound OK. I am not noticing any distortion, just lower sound output from both woofer and tweeter. I didn't look at the balance control on the sellers receiver when I auditioned them, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had adjusted it to equalize them.
I thought I could check for crossover problems by just swapping in the assembly from the good speaker but it looks like swapping them would involve cutting and splicing wires and I would like to avoid that.
Any Ideas as to what to do next to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jay

Best Answer

• DrJay
    DrJay Posts: 10
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for all the input Gents. Based on the comments above I hooked up a known to be good tweet I had on hand and the speaker sounded great. The problem is the tweeter and a very generous forum member is sending me a replacement.
    Thanks again for the help! I hope that someday I can be the helper instead of the helpee.
    Jay

Answers

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Before jumping inside, I'd check the total DC resistance between the two, you might get lucky and find an inappropriate driver was installed at one point.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Bet the problem is your tweeter. You'd be surprised at how little sound comes out of that speaker when the tweeter isn't working.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I’m with Jesse, it’s the tweeter..
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Could be improper driver or defective tweeter as mentioned, or hidden corrosion behind the fuse block.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Put your ear right up to each tweeter and driver (at a relatively low volume level) and see if you can hear a difference in volume and/or frequency output between the tweeters and drivers.

That said, the reason for one of the tweeters (and/or drivers) not working can be anything from the fuse holder, crossover board caps/resistor (I don't remember if the 5B's (or 10A/B's, which I actually own) have a poly switch?), the tweeter(s)/driver(s) themselves, (your amp??) and possibly 5 other reasons.

Start with diagnosing if it's the the tweeter/driver themselves, and then move to the crossovers, and finally your amp (stereo setup i.e. speaker wires, amp, pre-amp, CD player, TT, etc.). Let us know what you find out.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee