Can't trust Audiogon?

Polkitup2
Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
edited December 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I need some expert opinion here. I noticed these two ads for speakers that I have been interested in.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-new-2017-12-09-speakers

and

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/planars-mint-2017-11-16-speakers

Both adds have very similar descriptions with very good prices, maybe too good. Also hard to tell if they are selling a pair of speakers. They are listed by different Audiogon users with great feedback. Are these scams or just one user copying text from another add? I'm thinking something is rotten in Denmark. Doesn't Audiogon watch out for scams?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The sellers have 2 different names but they are both located in the same town. It could be the same person that has 2 different accounts.

I have seen all kinds of odd stuff like this on both eBay and Amazon. They use random addresses in the U.S.A. and they have hundreds or thousands of items for sale at unbelievable prices. And there are only 10 sales with sycophantic feedback. HAHAHAHA
  • Polkitup2
    Different towns where they ship from.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    You should contact Audiogon with your concerns. They are very responsive.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Different towns where they ship from.
    You're correct. I must have clicked one of the links twice when I was checking that.

So, maybe one seller copied another seller's text. Usually when it's a scam, the price is "too good to be true".

Sometimes there are ways to trick-**** software where a seller can write reviews for their own items or accounts. Even as far as making them listed as a "Verified Purchase".

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Got torched on a Beatles remaster box set that was listed for sale out of Texas but shipped from China. Certified counterfeit. I am still trying to get my money back.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Oh for godsake, if you are going to be paranoid, then go buy new stuff and enjoy.

Both sellers have been on the site for years and have excellent feedback, which is a bigger indicator of truth rather than similarly written descriptions.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Viking64
    Got torched on a Beatles remaster box set that was listed for sale out of Texas but shipped from China. Certified counterfeit. I am still trying to get my money back.

I have seen a Texas seller doing that with various box sets. And there is so much shilling that it takes a while to sort through the nonsense.

I almost got caught on The Beatles black box AND the Pink Floyd Discovery box. :o
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Caveat emptor.
  • Viking64
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Caveat emptor.
    E. Purplebus Menu
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Oh for godsake, if you are going to be paranoid, then go buy new stuff and enjoy.

Both sellers have been on the site for years and have excellent feedback, which is a bigger indicator of truth rather than similarly written descriptions.

The first ad is for brand new speakers.

If the accounts were hacked and that does happen, then the feedback is worthless.

As I stated, if you have concerns contact Audiogon about them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkitup2
    edited December 2017
    Yep, that's what I did. Cfrizz added to ignore.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Never a problem with first time sellers to long time sellers. Have made over 50 transactions buying and selling and never a problem, never scammed and have gotten some great deals..............
  • Polkitup2
    Every time I go to Chinese restaurant I say "No msg", same applies here - see ya
  • Polkitup2
    :p - no ignore for you!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Y’all’s ignent!
  • i dont really know but if you buy something with a credit card, if you get ripped off generally if you call them they will fix it.. you can contact your credit card company and find out the details of how that works. but a friend of mine got something off ebay.. it was broken and a 1st generation model it was listed as a 6th generation model in the sales add. pay pal made her jump thew circles going to stores to have it looked at and needing to have the store sign something saying its was broken and not the correct item.. we got that stuff from a few different stores and they kept trying to make her go some other place to get more conformations that it was broken.. finally after about a month of payplas BS she called the credit card company and explained what happened they canceled the charge.. paypal was extremely pissed off that she did this but she got her money back and sent he guy his broken piece of crap back..

so if you are trying to buy something and your worried its a rip off there are ways to protect your self. personally i would use paypal and have paypal charge it to your credit card.. so if paypal screws you over like they did with her than you have the credit card company to fall back on.

i dont know if all credit card company's are good about this king of thing but some definitely are.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Viking64
    ^^^ That was painful to read.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Viking64 wrote: »
    ^^^ That was painful to read.

Yes....yes it was.

I would contact Audiogon or contact both sellers direct.
    One is in Greenwich while the other on Long Island. There is a small chance they know each other.
    It doesn't hurt to ask especially when you enter into the realm of "higher-end" audio.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Polkitup2
    I moved on. I found an authorized Harbeth dealer that had a 2 month old, mint (10) pair with full warranty that I purchased. Also ordered some Skylan stands. It has been almost 6 years since my last speaker change so I am stoked to try something new.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited December 2017
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Also ordered some Skylan stands.

Awesome stands for the price. Go to Home Depot and get a bag of sand. I'm pretty sure it only takes one big bag, I bought two.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Polkitup2
    Yep, I seem to recall reading somewhere to make sure and use kids play ground sand which is drier than regular sand.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I just got back from Home Depot a couple hours ago with a 50 pound bag of play sand $4.25. Just make sure the bag doesn't have a small hole/rip. I looked over eight bags before I found one that wasn't leaking sand.

If you are interested in using some lead shot, check this place out, I placed an order earlier today:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Sportsmans-Warehouse-25-Lb-Lead-Shot/productDetail/Shot-and-Wads/prod99999051929/cat100162?ref=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1K_Gsr6A2AIVCC5pCh27bQ-wEAQYASABEgJ9D_D_BwE#gridContainer

When it comes to lead, free shipping wins! 50 pounds, free shipping, no sales tax. $79.98
  • Polkitup2
    Lead has gone up in price since I last used it. I've read that Skylan even recommends using rice or kitty litter.
  • Hermitism
    Yep, pricey! I'm into shooting sports and that hobby took a big hit with the price of ammo skyrocketing, so I was already prepared for what lead was going to cost. I bet 50 pounds of lead would have cost $25 fifteen years ago. Even if you don't buy into the sonic changes, the added weight will help with stability and top heaviness. Rice doesn't weigh much. If you can afford Skyland stands, you can afford a few pounds of lead. :smiley:
  • Polkitup2
    edited December 2017
    I have some SANUS foundation stands that I filled with lead many years ago. They have since been demoted to rear surround duty. I may tap that lead source.
  • Hermitism
    edited December 2017
    If the temporary free shipping runs out, here is another to check out with free shipping. They don't have as small of shot. My hope is that the smaller shot will travel through the bottleneck of a funnel faster. I'm speaking with no experience on the subject.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/EAGLE-LB-BAG-MAGNUM-LEAD-SHOT/2314213.uts#BVQAWidgetID

btw, congrats on the Skylan purchase. Nice!
  • Polkitup2
    edited December 2017
    Thanks, when I used the small shot in my SANUS stands I spilled it all over the place.
    I'm still picking up lead BBs 7 years later.

This Harbeth deal is getting even better. The dealer had an issue with the speaker boxes so he is drop shipping me a brand new pair direct from Fedelis the US importer for the same price.
  • Hermitism
    That's funny! Every time you hear a clank sound being sucked up your vacuum, think to yourself, "That's $5!"...clank..."Another $5!" I'm probably going to do mine indoors as well with a large sheet of plastic on the floor. My fear is that if I go from 72 degrees to 32 degrees outside, fill the columns, then back to 72 degrees, there might be the potential for a condensation issue inside the steel pillars. I may just be overthinking things. I usually underthink things and have to redo it later!