WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pass in the house.

Options
2»

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Nelson Pass is a hack.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Nelson Pass is a hack.

That'll bring Brock out of hibernation.....LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Nelson Pass is amazing, and the X1 preamp is the best thing to happen to my rig since tube amps.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nelson Pass is a hack.

He just fell off his bar stool.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    Thats interesting that the rotel makes the highs harsh. My other amps run these fine (even after xover rebuild), but the little rotel I paired them with for break in sounds so harsh on the high end it's ridiculous. Rotel design flaw?? It never sounded that bad on other speakers I own.
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options
    My amp was 5 channel for HT. There may have been some coloration built in for movie sound tracks?
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    My amp was 5 channel for HT. There may have been some coloration built in for movie sound tracks?

Mine is just a 100wps stereo amplifier. Maybe it's part of there signature sound we wouldn't notice till we hooked them to 8 tweeters ahahah. I'm kind of surprised you ran them of a 5 channel receiver for normal listening. I'm sure the new amp your running sounds night and day. Congrats on that beast. Ive allways liked adcom but never pulled the trigger on one.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    That adcom damping factor has me intrigued to say the least
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nelson Pass is a hack.

Lol...Jesse.

The 5800 is a nice, older amp. Be sure the fans are operational and turn on when needed.

Damping factor really isn't a "stat" that bears much weight unless it's less than 50, even then it's not a real factor in determining how an amp sounds/performs. I don't have the time to research but 1100 sounds very high or is a misprint. But like slew rate and some other "terms" on paper, are really meaningless.

Enjoy

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    edited December 2017
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Nelson Pass is a hack.

Lol...Jesse.

The 5800 is a nice, older amp. Be sure the fans are operational and turn on when needed.

Damping factor really isn't a "stat" that bears much weight unless it's less than 50, even then it's not a real factor in determining how an amp sounds/performs. I don't have the time to research but 1100 sounds very high or is a misprint. But like slew rate and some other "terms" on paper, are really meaningless.

Enjoy

H9

I understand what your saying. It doesn't make much difference until your below 50 like you said. But running (16) 30 year old drivers it sure does make you feel better. My main amp has a damping factor of 100 and I feel it has good control over my drivers. Could it be better?? Most likely.
  • crashb4
    Options
    Fans turn on as they should and at proper temp. Left first, then right. They are getting loud, but are easily replaced. New 120mm computer fans are quiet, cheep and last.

Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • crashb4
    Options
    What a trip. I ordered new electrolytic caps for the amp. Nichicon FG for the signal path, KG and KW for the power supply and four multi turn 5K ohm trimmer pots. The boards are double sided and leave a bit to be desired. I burned through two solder pads on the bottom of the power board and had to move the bias coupling caps to the underside. A result of inexperience and too much heat. The rest of the update went off without a hitch. The multi turn pots made it simple to set bias and dc offset. Bias spec is 750 to 850 mA. I have it set a bit hot at 830 to try expanding class A operation. On turning on the amp, I got static out of the right channel. It lasted about 25 seconds and faded out as the amp warmed up. Investigation with freeze spray shows that Q4 IRF610 MOSFET is on its way out. Replacements ordered for both sides.

I ran the amp on radio for two days and then sat to listen. I thought that the amp sounded quite good when I got it. The caps have taken it to a whole new level. Extreme clarity from top to bottom. Very, very powerful and engaging. The amp is extremely quiet and has startled me more than once. I have been chasing the bright issue from using Sollen caps on the high pass for my crossover update. Although the amp doesn't resolve the situation, it does help. I will replace the offending caps as time and funds permit. Sound stage is exceptional. Instruments are solidly anchored in place and the sound is much deeper; seemingly coming out as much as three to four feet from the front baffle. Most drum kits seem to emanate from behind the speakers. It is easy to tell how close a vocalist is to a microphone even where they would be drowned out previously by garbled mid-range during complex passages. I sure do appreciate the power upgrade from my previous Rotel, but it's not just power. Finesse is also a key element and is handled beautifully. String plucks, finger glides, singer’s breaths squeaking kick pedals and more can be easily heard. I am beyond pleased.

Next up? I’m looking at a shiny new Schiit Freya to replace the GTP-450 preamp currently in use. An extravagant addition that will require some savings. I would love to spend huge sums of money on the latest whiz bang gear, but being the dad of three special needs children means that their needs come first. My goal from the start has been to get the best possible sound on a budget that won’t hurt my family. I’m quite pleased with the results to date.