Polk Signature S60 -- too much treble?

Options
2»

Comments

• audionewbie123
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments.

I covered the wooden flooring with some carpets/rugs. Moved my listening position closer(9ft) and put the receiver in direct-mode and proceeded to listen to a bunch of different music.

I needed to increase the volume to 44-50 to hear all the dynamics of the song completely. Playing Rosanna by Toto, the S60s were quite brilliant with the right amount of high-end. I feel like this song was recorded/mastered really well. I had to increase the volume a bit though to get that punch from the drums.

On some other songs, increasing the volume had an effect of highs sounding a bit forward. It's possible I have a preference for warmer speakers. I'm planning on demo'ing some speakers at a local a/v store to see what some of the other speakers sound like.

I also agree as many had pointed out that my receiver doesn't have enough power to drive the s60 to their potential. I'm tempted to invested in an Anthem MRX for their ARC correction and to never have doubts about my receiver being the weak link in the chain :)
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^Anthem MRX, now you are on the right track. I drive my S60's with an Anthem integrated, perfect match.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I have the 60s and my room is acoustically challenged, hard floors and open floor plan. Like others have suggested I got an area rug 8 x 11 and really thick. This helped but also adding an amp to my AVR made a significant difference as well as better cables. Bigger fuller sound and I did not find the high end bright. These steps were done over time. Also, note they do break in and get even better with time.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables