The Niles Experiment

I just finished playing The White Album on my new Niles controlled tweeters an do believe I have them dialed in !
You hear the word "forward" in describing speakers and I do believe that's what one might call the SVS Towers............until the other day that is.
I found that magic spot on the third click back from the "normal" setting.
It's like you're getting drawn into the soundstage now.
I found that rather than having to add an equalizer to amplify the mid bass, all I really needed was to give the woofers equal volume by lowering the tweeters output.
I know it's an odd way to accomplish what I was looking for, but there's no denying the grin I get when I listen now.

Comments

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,300
    Is this anything like The Philadelphia Experiment?

    :o
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,300
    What you did is called "padding" and it is a time-honored tuning technique.

    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

  • Polkaguy58Polkaguy58 Posts: 281
    I don't know, unless it happened in the 70's when I was experimenting.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,300
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

  • Polkaguy58Polkaguy58 Posts: 281
    I just keeps getting better !
    I decided to see how many clicks back on the Niles that I could go before things started to muddy up and it turned out to be 4.
    3 is the ultimate setting and now I've started to back the sub off too.
    It seems that the 6 1/2" mid woofers were getting buried on either end of the spectrum.
    Steely Dan's "Peg" has a unique synth bass line that has a fuzz type rasp to it which these SVS' never quite delivered.
    By backing down on the sub and increasing the over all volume a bit, it allowed the woofers to show more midrange punch and now I can hear that saw toothed synth.
    Oh yeah, Chris Squire's bass solos stick out a lot better now too !
    Life is good.
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,069
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    I just keeps getting better !
    I decided to see how many clicks back on the Niles that I could go before things started to muddy up and it turned out to be 4.
    3 is the ultimate setting and now I've started to back the sub off too.
    It seems that the 6 1/2" mid woofers were getting buried on either end of the spectrum.
    Steely Dan's "Peg" has a unique synth bass line that has a fuzz type rasp to it which these SVS' never quite delivered.
    By backing down on the sub and increasing the over all volume a bit, it allowed the woofers to show more midrange punch and now I can hear that saw toothed synth.
    Oh yeah, Chris Squire's bass solos stick out a lot better now too !
    Life is good.

    One question: Which Chris Squire bass solos are you referring to? The Fish? Or his solo in Nous Somme Du Soleil from Topographic Oceans?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

    "Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

    "Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 754
    headrott wrote: »
    One question: Which Chris Squire bass solos are you referring to? The Fish? Or his solo in Nous Somme Du Soleil from Topographic Oceans?
    I like the Chris Squire isolated bass tracks. :)


    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,300
    edited December 10
    I've always liked those photos of Squire with a ReVox A77, myself.
    (EDIT: And I just noticed the QUAD preamp in the YT splash photo...after all these decades)


    Now, youse guyses want some isolated bass tracks...



    (Squire was an inventive bass player as well -- too bad he was stuck with Yes to play for... mostly)
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

  • Polkaguy58Polkaguy58 Posts: 281
    The solo that I use for speaker testing is from the song Starship Trooper.
    The very first notes have a lingering tremolo effect that doesn't shine through on an inefficient speaker.
    The bass solo in the middle of the song has a broad note span and will show any frequency drop outs in a poorly designed speaker.
    (The same goes for Neil Pert's descending drum rolls from RUSH)
    There's nothing like the sound of an over driven Rickenbacker bass !
  • Polkaguy58Polkaguy58 Posts: 281
    edited December 10
    Viking64 wrote: »
    headrott wrote: »
    One question: Which Chris Squire bass solos are you referring to? The Fish? Or his solo in Nous Somme Du Soleil from Topographic Oceans?
    I like the Chris Squire isolated bass tracks. :)



    Those bass tracks were awesome !
    It's funny, as a guitar tech, half my clients would object to the amount of string buzz that Chris was getting off that Ricky..............but hey, if it's good enough for him...........................
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!