RokBok - Interesting product

EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,939
edited December 5 in 2 Channel Audio
99% of you vinyl guys will cringe when you see this, but I thought it was a interesting concept and looked kinda cool.

FYI This was on Shark Tank last night. Guy sold the COMPANY for 500k, with a 2 year 5 figure salary to help launch it, and then a 5 dollar royalty on every unit sold in perpetuity.

I think its a niche product, but I think its cool.

PS. It plays 33 1/3 & 45s BUT NOT 78's.....

RokBlock - RokBlok is the world’s smallest, wireless record player. Simply place RokBlok on top of any record to instantly listen to your favorite vinyl, anywhere.

7d631900a831b2d74ab9a5e6fd733ab5_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1480931168&auto=format&lossless=true&s=ecee474147666e236debe27c601decc1

69a94c54ed72af7a2991bb216ae0f6d1_original.0.gif

Rokblokhero.jpg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,900
    Yep, I cringe.
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Sony PS-LX410/Grado Green Cartridge
    Phono Stage - Parks Audio Budgie
    CD - Marantz DV4001
    Passive Pre - Luminous Audio Axiom II
    Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • decaldecal Posts: 2,936
    Aimed squarely at the hipster millenium crowd.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 749
    decal wrote: »
    Aimed squarely at the hipster millenium crowd.

Squarely? Was that a pun? :p
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,296
    Square records.
    They're coming.

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,115
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Square records.
    They're coming.

got mine off a Tony the Tiger box in 1972.
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,494
    Someone should develop a laser reader that reads the groves and records them digitally...then, those could be decoded and converted to digital. Maybe, that's what someone already does, but I come up with a lot of ideas that have been already done.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,752
    DollarDave wrote: »
    Someone should develop a laser reader that reads the groves and records them digitally...then, those could be decoded and converted to digital. Maybe, that's what someone already does, but I come up with a lot of ideas that have been already done.

You mean like a compact disk?!? lol
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,296

Well-- there's this...

http://elpj.com/

y2ph49881awn.png

Not quite what you're looking for... but it does use a frickin' laser to play a rekkid.

No sharks, though.

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 910
    Yeah, that tech has been around for a while.

Like 25+ years... IIRC
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,494
    edited December 5
    rooftop59 wrote: »

You mean like a compact disk?!? lol

No, not like a compact disk - that's digital media, not analog. I presume you know the differences.

Like the $15,000 device MHardy posted.