Marantz PM-14S1 integrated VS. separate preamp & power amp

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
edited November 2017 in Electronics
In terms of general performance and overall listening experience, how would a high end $3k integrated like the Marantz PM-14S1 (90wpc) compare to say a combination of a Schiit Freya (tube) or Krell KAV-250p (SS) preamp and separate power amplifier such as an older B&K ST125.2 (125wpc) or a newer Marantz MM7025 (140wpc)?

Speaker example would be LSiM 703 or another similar speaker. Just trying to get an understanding of the differences in sound quality with one setup versus the other.

The desire to go high quality integrated (keep it simple) is obvious, but the flexibility and potentially better sound quality of separate components is tempting.

Thoughts?

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The Marantz is a good integrated, but should you ever decide to move to floorstanders/harder to drive speakers, it will be your limiting factor. It should perform fine on LSIM's though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I have no experience with integrateds that nice or with tube amps, but I can say that when I had the LSiM 703s and moved from a parasound HCA1000 (100 wpc with pretty stout bass) to a rotel rb-993 (200 wpc) there was a big difference in the tautness and control of the bass, and the overall sound stage widened a bit as well. I was MUCH happier with the sound overall. So although the LSiMs are “easy” to drive, power is still your friend...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Nice, thanks for sharing your experience with moving up on power with the 703s. That echoes everything else I've read/heard about how they love power.

Any thoughts on used older B&K/Parasound/Rotel amps versus new production amps like the Marantz MM7025? My hesitation on used amps would be not knowing if they were used in well ventilated spaces, if they need to be recapped, etc. At least with a brand new amp you get a 3 year warranty. But then perhaps the "they don't make em' like they used to" phrase comes into play.

Is there a big difference with how they perform/sound?
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I have no experience with integrateds that nice or with tube amps, but I can say that when I had the LSiM 703s and moved from a parasound HCA1000 (100 wpc with pretty stout bass) to a rotel rb-993 (200 wpc) there was a big difference in the tautness and control of the bass, and the overall sound stage widened a bit as well. I was MUCH happier with the sound overall. So although the LSiMs are “easy” to drive, power is still your friend...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    amps in general usually don't need servicing for around 20 years, give or take a few years depending on quality. Don't be afraid to buy used, just get a grasp on who your buying from and stay away from Ebay.

Audiogon
    US Audiomart
    Craigslist
    Here...in the FM.

3 brands to look for used, Parasound/B&k/ McCormack.....with the last one being my personal favorite. All should sound sweet on those LSIM's though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for your insight. Looks like both the integrateds you mentioned are 50 wpc. Doesn't that somewhat go against what others have been saying regarding the 703s loving lots of power?

I have the 703s in my possession, just have not had a chance to unbox them and try them with my NAD 316BEE yet.
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you are looking at the 703, please do yourself a favor and consider the Dayens Menuetto that PSOVLSK is selling. If you really wanted to jump up to a nicer integrated, the 703 likes tubes and my Triode Corporation TRV-88SER would pair VERY nicely with it. At 50 WPC it has enough power, and the KT88 tube will pair nicely with the thickness of the 703.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The 703's are a very easy load, you don't need lots of power. That Marantz will drive them beautifully.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Thanks for your insight. Looks like both the integrateds you mentioned are 50 wpc. Doesn't that somewhat go against what others have been saying regarding the 703s loving lots of power?

I have the 703s in my possession, just have not had a chance to unbox them and try them with my NAD 316BEE yet.
    If you are looking at the 703, please do yourself a favor and consider the Dayens Menuetto that PSOVLSK is selling. If you really wanted to jump up to a nicer integrated, the 703 likes tubes and my Triode Corporation TRV-88SER would pair VERY nicely with it. At 50 WPC it has enough power, and the KT88 tube will pair nicely with the thickness of the 703.

Differences in amp topology may lead to a amp with less wattage on paper sounding better than an amp with more wattage.

And tube amps v Solid State isn't always a apples to apples comparison either. Lots of factors when looking for the "right" amp.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Clipdat wrote: »

Differences in amp topology may lead to a amp with less wattage on paper sounding better than an amp with more wattage.

And tube amps v Solid State isn't always a apples to apples comparison either. Lots of factors when looking for the "right" amp.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    tonyb wrote: »
    amps in general usually don't need servicing for around 20 years, give or take a few years depending on quality. Don't be afraid to buy used, just get a grasp on who your buying from and stay away from Ebay.

Audiogon
    US Audiomart
    Craigslist
    Here...in the FM.

3 brands to look for used, Parasound/B&k/ McCormack.....with the last one being my personal favorite. All should sound sweet on those LSIM's though.

Honestly, I have bought a good number of amps, one or two off audiogon, several from here over the years, and numerous ones from fleabay. I have had three that I got REALLY cheap go bad, all three brands known for failure. If you buy from a good seller with good pics and description, and take your 45 days to inspect and test, you shouldn’t have any problems. If you do, just send it back for a refund, eBay protects the buyer. And on top of that, you can buy a squaretrade warranty. I just got a check from a wine fridge that went bad after 3 years. Basically only cost me the price of the warranty for three years of use. So I personally wouldn’t just outright avoid eBay fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer