Active Studio Monitors

ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,460
With the trend towards computer audio desktop rigs, let's throw out some good suggestions for powered monitors that make great near field music. Focal and Yamaha come to mind for me based on experience.

Comments

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 3,958
    Emotiva
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,752
    Anything by focal or Yamaha? Or specific models?
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,771
    Jbl, Adam, kirk, genelec, there is a lot of powered monitors
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: Intona, w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,460
    Looking for experienced user reviews.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 593
    I've personally used the Presonus R80 and can't recommend them enough. The R65 would also be good if you don't need/want the bass response that an 8" woofer can give you.

Highs are absolutely perfect on these, extremely reactive and effortless. Can listen for several hours and they never get fatiguing. Definitely worth your consideration.
    Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Rotel RCD-1072, Sony SCD-CE595, Polk Audio LSiM 703, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra, Kimber Kable Tonik
    HT: Onkyo HT-RC360, Athena Micra 6
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,940
    AudioEngine, KRK Rokit, JBL, come to mind instantly....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've personally used the Presonus R80 and can't recommend them enough. The R65 would also be good if you don't need/want the bass response that an 8" woofer can give you.

Highs are absolutely perfect on these, extremely reactive and effortless. Can listen for several hours and they never get fatiguing. Definitely worth your consideration.

The Presonus R80 do look very nice. Thank you for you input Clipdat.
  • Yep2Yep2 Posts: 791
    NHT.
    The Adam a7x was outstanding in its price range. Best bang for the buck goes to the jbl Larry 305 or 308.

For. More money. The genelec 1032b and 805b are more another outstanding monitors. I am using kef ls50w in near field with good results but it’s not a true studio monitor like the genelec or Adam. It depends on what you are going to be using them for. Listening, producing, or?... and price range. Just for listening, on a budget, the jbl 305 or 308 play way above their on sale price range.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200

My use will be listening in the office. They will be placed very close the the back wall, so my initial thought was front port as apposed to rear. Budget is $400 to $1000.

Man those JBL 308 seem like a great deal. I need to find a local place to audition a variety of brands.
    Nearfield listening.
    If you have a guitar center or sam ash, they usually have them. The 308 play well above their price. The Adam are a bit more analytic but sound darn good also.

I think they have the red 305 one sale for 100 each unless the sale is over.

• Polkaguy58Polkaguy58 Posts: 281
    My elderly neighbor brought over a box of electrical cords and such last year and in it was a BOSE tabletop ipod charger/amp.
    She asked me if I wanted it, so I said sure !
    I'm not a big BOSE fan, but this little rig, with an 1/8" stereo plug, makes a computer sound pretty darn good !
    I have it set on a shelf, dead center over my laptop screen and liked it so much that it replaced my Dayton 15 wpc classT amp & a pair of walnut Minimus 7's (with upgraded xovers).
    So what pair did you decide on?
    With the trend towards computer audio desktop rigs, let's throw out some good suggestions for powered monitors that make great near field music. Focal and Yamaha come to mind for me based on experience.

Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Rotel RCD-1072, Sony SCD-CE595, Polk Audio LSiM 703, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra, Kimber Kable Tonik
    None yet. Still shopping.
    Got any finalists that you're considering? I'll help you decide :)
    None yet. Still shopping.