Amazon can be so wasteful...

Options
I ordered five 5' lengths of cord cover the other day. Each was shipped in a separate cardboard box that could probably hold 50 pieces! Oh, and the 5th box got separated from the others... so the driver told me she'll be back again later! We're talking $20 worth of product here. With packaging, labor, and gas, I can't see how this could have been profitable. mf39wdkulq8z.jpg

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Here's another example - a small pair of Pioneer Atmos speakers.yng955y6x1l8.jpg
    2n0vnx6gmuzm.jpg
    ag63uy0ve48e.jpg
    23iihw5pwolm.jpg

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    I seldom see my Amazon items take up more that 25% of the cubic inches of space in the box in which they are shipped. I could have my own Burning Man festival from that brown shipping paper alone. :p
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Their business model is obviously working, waste or not...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    At least the speakers seemed to be somewhat padded with the packing paper. What I love is receiving two hard drives bouncing around in a box 20x the necessary size, with a strip of five or so bubble pillows as packing protection.
    "Hmm. Sensitive computer equipment. Myeah, five bubbles ought to cover it..."

This is what I call The Amazon Boomerang.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    Yeah, getting 2 or 3 CD's in a 12" x 20" padded envelope almost guarantees at least one cracked case. :o
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Yeah, getting 2 or 3 CD's in a 12" x 20" padded envelope almost guarantees at least one cracked case. :o

Yep it is why i quit ordering multiple CDs from them. They all show up broke and damaged. Do not understand why they do not have the proper box size to ship CDs

By the way has Amazon the company turned a profit yet?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I ordered 200 dollar powered bookshelf speakers for my living room, they never showed up. Amazon shipped a new pair over night. A few weeks later the missing pair came to my door. Called Amazon and they literally said “keep them”.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I was speaking with a fellow swim parent the other day, who happens to work for my employers main competitor in the transportation sector. This person and I were questioning alot of the apparent Amazon strategy, including building an airline from ground up, including numerous massive facilities on airport property to support the airline. As you probably can guess, airplanes and on airport property are very expensive to own and operate.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I ordered five 5' lengths of cord cover the other day. Each was shipped in a separate cardboard box that could probably hold 50 pieces! Oh, and the 5th box got separated from the others... so the driver told me she'll be back again later! We're talking $20 worth of product here. With packaging, labor, and gas, I can't see how this could have been profitable. mf39wdkulq8z.jpg
    Did each box come from a different origin?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I ordered 200 dollar powered bookshelf speakers for my living room, they never showed up. Amazon shipped a new pair over night. A few weeks later the missing pair came to my door. Called Amazon and they literally said “keep them”.

Win
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Did each box come from a different origin?

Nope, all from the same place!
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    At least the speakers seemed to be somewhat padded with the packing paper. What I love is receiving two hard drives bouncing around in a box 20x the necessary size, with a strip of five or so bubble pillows as packing protection.
    "Hmm. Sensitive computer equipment. Myeah, five bubbles ought to cover it..."

This is what I call The Amazon Boomerang.

Actually, I think I got lucky with the speakers. The two pieces of Styrofoam they were packed in were not held together by anything. Would not have taken much tossing around for them to separate.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    UPS and FED EX make deals with high volume shippers like $3.50 per box regardless of size or weight so long as it's under their max limits. That shipper usually has the carrier's trailers sitting at dock all day and scans/loads the boxes them self so the driver just grabs the scan log and the loaded trailer and hauls a$$.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Slapaho wrote: »
    UPS and FED EX make deals with high volume shippers like $3.50 per box regardless of size or weight so long as it's under their max limits. That shipper usually has the carrier's trailers sitting at dock all day and scans/loads the boxes them self so the driver just grabs the scan log and the loaded trailer and hauls a$$.

Yes and everyone else out there who wants to ship pays dearly for that companies discount. There is no free ride.