LSiFX speaker placement advice 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos Setup

Options
I am converting my system to a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos. I would like to utilize my existing LSiFX speakers as my surrounds. However, I am not sure these are the best speakers to use since they are not DIRECT speakers, as Dolby recommends. The sound firing diagram that came with the speakers (below) is what has me confused.lvubpcwztg1h.jpg

Can I use the LSiFX's? If so, where should I place them? My two location choices are A.) On the back wall, slightly behind the listening seat or B.) In the corner, pointed at the listening seat.

I assume I would need to put these in Bipole mode, regardless.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    When set in bipole mode they are direct, it's just that the drivers are pointing in different directions than a pair of regular bookshelf speakers would. The dipole switch setting produces a more diffuse sound. I had four of them at one time and had the pair on the rear wall set to bipole and the pair on the side walls set to dipole.

If only using one pair I would put them on the back wall, lined up with the front speakers, and set to bipole mode. If using them on a side wall I would switch between bipole and dipole and see what sounded best.
  • Wally3433
    Options
    Thanks Emlyn. Very Helpful.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    They also recommend them at a lower height they I like to but the surrounds at and I'll explain why.
    At 42 inches to the surrounds tweeters this is typical seated height. For Dolby Digital you can however use this height for a 5.1 system. HOWEVER it sounds like ****. You don't get doo spacious sound, you get right in your ear attack and I think it ruins the surround environment experience.
    I have done floor standing speakers are surrounds as well which usually stays within a ear height for the tweeters and it also ruins the experience.
    Now enter the perfect world 72 inches to the surrounds tweeters. This people is the sweet spot. This is where the magic happens for surround at 90 to 120 degrees from the listening area, the surrounds are magic.
    I understand what ATMOS is trying to do here with the height speakers and lowering the surrounds down to give you that more 3D environment but I think it's horrible. I have done a few ATMOS theaters now and I don't like the surrounds at that height.
    I would go with a middle ground where some magic is left yet ATMOS still sounds awesome and go with 60-65 inches to the tweeter. This way you still get a good 5.1 or 7.1 experience when you watch those movies and when you go 11.2 you still get that ATMOS experience.
    Need more just ask.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Wally3433 wrote: »
    I am converting my system to a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos...
    Just curious: how big is your space?

To Mantis: minimum recommended space for these new systems?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work