Upgrade from Polk LSi7 to a Polk....?

I have a pair of LSi7 bookshelf speakers which sound fine but they are 4 ohms and my receiver is not meant for something that low. Because I could risk damaging the hardware, I would feel more comfortable upgrading my Polks to another model.

I'm thinking of going with either the RTiA3 bookshelf or the RTiA5 tower. Would either of those be comparable or better than what I have now? I definitely don't want to downgrade.

(the RTiA7 is tempting but I can't find any black friday deals on that)

Comments

• vovin
    vovin Posts: 5
    My receiver is a Sony STR DN1080. What would you do in my situation? I tend to play my speakers fairly loud and I just don't want to risk it with the LSi7's. If there are any other speakers you reccomend I'd like to know. I haven't looked through Polk's entire catalogue or anything.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Get you a pair of RTiA5's and add a sub
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • vovin
    edited November 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Get you a pair of RTiA5's and add a sub

I have both a Polk DSW PRO 440 and a Mackie Mr10 SMK3 Subwoofer. I'm using the Mackie atm which is smoking the Polk for some reason. I couldn't get much power at all out of the Polk.... I'm thinking something wasn't configured right.

I'll see if I can get a good deal on the RTiA5's tomorrow morning.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Why on God's green earth are you using an AVR, a $400.00 Sony at that, for 2 channel music? Don't replace the speakers, replace the AVR with a nice integrated amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vovin
    edited November 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    Why on God's green earth are you using an AVR, a $400.00 Sony at that, for 2 channel music? Don't replace the speakers, replace the AVR with a nice integrated amp.

Well the music I listen to is 2 channel but all of my movies are 5.1. I didn't purchase the AVR, this is a family theater room and people in my house like switching between the cable box, blu ray player and laptop, plus integrated spotify feature. If it were up to me, I wouldn't need an AVR because I just use the laptop mostly to play music and movies.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    In that case, they need a better AVR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    With that AVR, I would probably recommend the RTI A3's over the A5's. I just think at very much above moderate volume, your AVR may struggle a little with the A5's.

You may also want to look at the signature series. If you want floor standers, the S-50's would be easier to drive than the RTI A5's, and are better sounding when listening to music.

Weather you decide on the RTI A3's, A5's, or the S-50's, a sub would be highly recommended. Really wouldn't go higher up the line on either series. Your AVR will have trouble driving those speakers at much above moderate volumes.
  • vovin
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I just think at very much above moderate volume, your AVR may struggle a little with the A5's.

If that were the case, what would I need for the receiver? An external pre-amp?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Calm down a little.

If for instance you want to run the RTI A5's in a 5.1 system, you just need a more robust AVR. That Sony is rated at 100 watts, at 6 ohms, 2 channels driven. Start there.

The RTI A line are 8 ohm speakers. That means you won't get that 100 watts advertised by Sony. Probably be closer to 75 or 80 watts, 2-channels driven. Add three more speakers, maybe 40 or 50 watts. Not a lot of head room left.

If your room is much bigger than about 10x12 feet, that AVR will start struggling at moderate volumes. Just don't want you ruining speakers letting the magic smoke escape.

If you want to stay with Sony, you should look at their Z-line. Personally I would go to Accessories4 Less and look at the Marantz 5011 or Denon 3300. Factory refurb, at about the same msrp as your Sony. Bough a Yamaha RX-A2060 from them, and that thing is flawless with no issues. Wouldn't hesitate from buying from them again.

I have a pair of RTI A5's, and with a little bit of power, they sound pretty good. Check Polk's eBay site before you buy. Polk runs that site, and have heard very few complaints about anything bought from them.

Hope I helped a little.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    The LSi-7’s are nice speakers and tremendous bang for the buck at current used prices. If you are dead set on having an AVR you need to upgrade that Sony. You could pick up a used Pioneer Elite SC model very reasonably, or check Accessories4Less for new prices, and add an external amp at a later date if you wish. You aren’t going to get what you’re after by changing speakers when the weak link is your Sony AVR.