Polk S15 w/ SVS sub or S55s Alone

Options
I got a pair of S15s a week or two ago, and I really like them so far. I bought the PSW108 to go with them, and I am not at all impressed with it. So, I am now looking at pairing them with an SVS PB12-NSD. Any thoughts on this combo? Also, what about returning the S15s and just going with S55s on their own with no sub?

I am using them in a home theater setup that is probably 50% music 50% movies/TV.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    for movies a sub would do you a lot better than S55 alone
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cashmonee
    Options
    Ok, going with that, would the SVS PB12-NSD compliment the S15s well? The plan is to add an S35 center at some point.
  • cashmonee
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Why not both? I realize there is a price difference but the S55 is a bargain and will provide you a much fuller sound than the S15.

I know, I'm a poor influence. >:)

Ha! Well, both is definitely not in the cards right now! Budget-wise, the choice would be S55s and no sub, or the S15s with the SVS sub. I could add the SVS later obviously if the S55s are really worth it, although I am not sure how often they go on sale (currently they are $499).

The room is about 11x18ish and at the moment, music is the larger concern that TV and movie. I do plan to add an S30 or S35 for a center channel as well.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Could you manage the S20s and the SVS sub?
    I disabled signatures.
  • cashmonee
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

That is super intriguing! What condition are the open box usually in?

msg, I am thinking the SVS sub probably won't fit in my room. So I am looking at an EMOTIVA BASX 12. I could maybe swing that and S20s, but looking at that open box deal has me thinking I may do that and get a sub later.
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, definitely some great deals. Word on those open box deals is that often times they look brand new.

Which AVR are you running?
    To run all those speakers, you may need something with some power to run everything properly, especially if full range and not passing to a sub.
    I disabled signatures.
  • cashmonee
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely some great deals. Word on those open box deals is that often times they look brand new.

Which AVR are you running?
    To run all those speakers, you may need something with some power to run everything properly, especially if full range and not passing to a sub.

I have a Denon S930H currently. The sub would come probably in the Spring or Summer.
  • msg
    Options
    Man, that's a tough call. I don't have any experience with S55s, so, no sense of what it takes to get them producing. After a quick look at your AVR specs, running all those speakers might be a bit much for it. S20s and an S30 center frees your AVR from running the extra 6.5" driver each in the S55s, and the sub will get you better low frequency coverage than the S55s alone. With larger bookshelf speakers and a nice sub, you could sort of have the best of both without replacing your AVR to properly power the larger speakers. Without a sub, I think you'd lose impact for theater. I think S15s would be better desktop or surrounds than mains. S20s should be a bit fuller sounding as music mains in your room.

Did you know about the SVS SB12-NSD? Sealed 12" version, less than 15" cubed? It's the same price as the Emotiva you mentioned, and seems better specced. SVS is well revered around here. @cfrizz added one of the SB12-NSDs, iirc, to go with some S60s she's running. Even with a 200wpc amp, she commented that the sub cleans up the bottom end of the presentation noticeably over that of running the speakers full range. Food for thought.
    cashmonee wrote: »

msg, I am thinking the SVS sub probably won't fit in my room. So I am looking at an EMOTIVA BASX 12. I could maybe swing that and S20s, but looking at that open box deal has me thinking I may do that and get a sub later.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Did you know about the SVS SB12-NSD? Sealed 12" version, less than 15" cubed? It's the same price as the Emotiva you mentioned, and seems better specced. SVS is well revered around here. @cfrizz added one of the SB12-NSDs, iirc, to go with some S60s she's running. Even with a 200wpc amp, she commented that the sub cleans up the bottom end of the presentation noticeably over that of running the speakers full range. Food for thought.
    cashmonee wrote: »

Not to mention SVS has a 45 day no questions asked return policy with free shipping both ways. No brainer IMO...
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Welcome to club Polk, we will spend all your money and max out your credit cards.

The S20 is a great bookshelf speaker for the price. They are on sale at Amazon for a decent price https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Signature-S20-Bookshelf/dp/B01LVWWXQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511308998&sr=8-2&keywords=Polk+s20

The SVS subs are a great https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers?trk_msg=DN35NO67U36K5AT8GSV4IO7D4K&trk_contact=TQGRBGFM4CKHIR8QO28UEUOD20&trk_sid=HLNSD29R7JIGFHPBKTCMJ52NRC&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers#nsd-series&utm_campaign=Scorching+SVS+Black+Friday+Event:+SB12-NSD+&+PB12-NSD+Subwoofers+at+All-Time+Low+Price!#nsd-series

I agree with @msg running your system in a 5.0 at full range might be taxing on your AVR. That Adorama deal is sweet just might be too much without a sub.

If it was my call any option would have a sub added, S20 with a SVS sub would probably sound a lot fuller and deeper that S55 on their own.

I have S20 in the bedroom setup and yeah they rock with my old HSU sub. The SVS option you're looking at is a nice sub so it will bring out the S20 better.

Another option is keeping the S15, get S30 and sub now. then next year when funds permit go for some S55/S60 and move the S15 to the rear surrounds

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msg
    Options
    ^^^ Yes to all of that from Loren, and good point Ken makes on the 45 day return.
    I disabled signatures.
  • cashmonee
    Options
    I went ahead and bit on the Adorama deal before I saw the rest of the responses. My plan is to add a sub in the spring or early summer. Is there any ideas about the receiver? I am still within the return period, if anyone has a suggestion on what would run that system better. Budget being a concern of course, preferably not over $500. Or will it be fine once a sub is added?