McCormack DNA-1 Platinum Ultra

Options
gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,754
edited November 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
After a few months of chomping at the bit, I received a call last week that the amp was being shipped and I was able to take delivery today.

Unfortunately work was crazy today so I made it home rather late, and I was only able to unbox it and get a few pics.

This amp started out as a very early mono amp and had it's share of weathering. Had some rusting so we opted to have the chassis stripped and powder coated.

The final product is beautiful, can't wait to get it hooked up but will need to wait until tomorrow night.

This is my first McCormack amp, I never even heard this one but the seller lived 30 min from SMC so he just drove it over.

Quite difficult to look at it and not even plug it in.... :'(

Comments

• gmcman
    Options
    I haven't looked around inside yet but this pic was sent to me before it was shipped.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Don't make final judgements off the bat, let that bad boy break in some. Killer amp pal, congrats.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    The guts look eerily similar to an Odyssey amp made by Klaus. Did they ever work together?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Drool-worthy!! I'm still planning to drop off my DNA-1 to Steve one of these days.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• gmcman
    Options
    I paired the amp with my B&K Ref 50 as that's the pre I was using before I swapped the 200.2 with the DNA-1. This way I could get a fair comparison, I'm itching to get the tube pre in there but will need to wait until I get some time on this. I'm not the best on giving reviews, but will try to portray the best image I can.

Had a few hours so far to listen to it, first impressions....the vocals are very clean, I've read reviews about being "forward" in their presentation but IMO, not so much forward, but clearly separate from the instruments, gives a good sense of depth.

Everything is more defined, the highs are very smooth without any harshness. The bass guitar stays where it is regardless of what's going on. The amp just seems to control everything and preserve the tonality of all the instruments..I guess pretty much do it's job. I did stretch it's legs a little, regardless of volume level, highest was -5 on the pre, I heard no discoloration or breakup of the highs, remained smooth throughout.

I'm pretty much blown away at how the amp can easily portray the changes in intensity, during the quieter passages of the drums, cymbals, clarity in the softer vocals, i.e., whispers...the decay time is also more apparent. I don't feel the term "lifting a veil" from the speakers is appropriate, but for the most part...it's like walking up to the stage.

I can't really find a flaw in what I've heard given the rest of my equipment, I feel a higher-end, modern SS preamp would really do it justice, like maybe a Pass X1 or similar. The Ref 50 is no slouch...but obviously there's better albeit cost.

Will get a few hundred hours on it and see how it changes. So far I'm enjoying it immensely, big game changer in my system for sure.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Glad you like it. Should get even better has it burns in a bit. Focus more on a tubed pre amp, in my opinion, can't beat the tone and musicality.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable