McCormack DNA-1 Platinum Ultra

gmcmangmcman Posts: 855
edited November 21 in 2 Channel Audio
After a few months of chomping at the bit, I received a call last week that the amp was being shipped and I was able to take delivery today.

Unfortunately work was crazy today so I made it home rather late, and I was only able to unbox it and get a few pics.

This amp started out as a very early mono amp and had it's share of weathering. Had some rusting so we opted to have the chassis stripped and powder coated.

The final product is beautiful, can't wait to get it hooked up but will need to wait until tomorrow night.

This is my first McCormack amp, I never even heard this one but the seller lived 30 min from SMC so he just drove it over.

Quite difficult to look at it and not even plug it in.... :'(

Comments

• la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,057
    Nice, put it through the paces and let us know what you think once you get it dialed in. Nice pics but how about popping the hood?
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 855
    I haven't looked around inside yet but this pic was sent to me before it was shipped.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,812
    Don't make final judgements off the bat, let that bad boy break in some. Killer amp pal, congrats.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,227
    The guts look eerily similar to an Odyssey amp made by Klaus. Did they ever work together?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 1,944
    Drool-worthy!! I'm still planning to drop off my DNA-1 to Steve one of these days.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel , McCormack DNA 0.5 (SMc Gold) Amp, MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp, Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded), A/L 1000VA Dreadnought, Canare 4s11 SDA cable, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Vincent Pho-700 Phono Pre, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / Pangea & Signal Cable MP power
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000
    LA Toobs Dodd Audio 50wpc Dual Mono Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp, Polk LSIM705, Marantz DV8300 SACD, VPI Nomad Turntable w/Ortofon 2M Bronze, MIT AVt3 Speaker & RCA Cables, Pangea & Signal Cable MP power

Dodd Mid Level Preamp ("on the bench" w/Charlie)
    Polk SDA1c modded
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Bottlehead Foreplay (modded)
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    McCormack DNA-1 Power Drive Amp
    Eastern Electric Minimax CDP
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 855
    I paired the amp with my B&K Ref 50 as that's the pre I was using before I swapped the 200.2 with the DNA-1. This way I could get a fair comparison, I'm itching to get the tube pre in there but will need to wait until I get some time on this. I'm not the best on giving reviews, but will try to portray the best image I can.

Had a few hours so far to listen to it, first impressions....the vocals are very clean, I've read reviews about being "forward" in their presentation but IMO, not so much forward, but clearly separate from the instruments, gives a good sense of depth.

Everything is more defined, the highs are very smooth without any harshness. The bass guitar stays where it is regardless of what's going on. The amp just seems to control everything and preserve the tonality of all the instruments..I guess pretty much do it's job. I did stretch it's legs a little, regardless of volume level, highest was -5 on the pre, I heard no discoloration or breakup of the highs, remained smooth throughout.

I'm pretty much blown away at how the amp can easily portray the changes in intensity, during the quieter passages of the drums, cymbals, clarity in the softer vocals, i.e., whispers...the decay time is also more apparent. I don't feel the term "lifting a veil" from the speakers is appropriate, but for the most part...it's like walking up to the stage.

I can't really find a flaw in what I've heard given the rest of my equipment, I feel a higher-end, modern SS preamp would really do it justice, like maybe a Pass X1 or similar. The Ref 50 is no slouch...but obviously there's better albeit cost.

Will get a few hundred hours on it and see how it changes. So far I'm enjoying it immensely, big game changer in my system for sure.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,812
    Glad you like it. Should get even better has it burns in a bit. Focus more on a tubed pre amp, in my opinion, can't beat the tone and musicality.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet