Phono pre hum

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,308
    edited November 21
    Probably worth noting that figuring out what to ground to what generally has to be determined empirically in cases like these. :)

Also, perhaps, worthy of note. My Marantz (Clearaudio) TT-15S1 came with two ground leads -- one for the tt proper (connected, I suppose, to the platter mount) and the other to the (detached) motor.

As I intoned, oh so gravely, earlier: grounding is both art & science :|
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 194
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    As I intoned, oh so gravely, earlier: grounding is both art & science :|
    And trial and error :D Glad Bob is sorted. Another good reason to keep a few spare wires around.
    Mark my words:

Bag o' clipleads.
    1001 uses!
    Collect 'em, trade 'em, give 'em to your friends!
    They make great stocking stuffers, too!

2va4tclxfjej.png
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,020
    Mark my words:

Bag o' clipleads.
    1001 uses!
    Collect 'em, trade 'em, give 'em to your friends!
    They make great stocking stuffers, too!

2va4tclxfjej.png

You uh...having a Black Friday sale on bags of clipleads or sumpthin?
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,711
    Hardy-ed up another thread....
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,503
    Hey, look who it is!
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hardy-ed up another thread....

I'm here for youse guyses.

Think of me as Johnny Clipleadseed.

I should keep little gift bags of 'em here at the ol' casa.
    This could be you! (borrowed images, no warranty express or implied. Always keep one hand in your pocket when working with HV.)

rn3r3a08v94s.png
    xch83ubm6bfq.png
    fe29z13cuw0s.png
    s0mh6ddklcg8.png

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,121
    Man those pictures just scream FIRE B) :*
    To me, that bottom one screams, "Ouch Ouch! Hot! Ahh! My fingers!"
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 754
    I have no idea what any of that is.

9m2v8r5et43k.jpg
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
    Amplifier breadboards of various flavors.

I like my breadboards toasted and flavored with Vegemite.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,684
    It might make a difference if it is only 'asleep'.
    If you get bored some time, try unplugging the player from the AC mains and see if it changes the noise signature on your phono preamp any.

So I was curious to see if this made any difference...it did not. I also tried other areas to ground and still no improvement over the Oppo ground. The power strip itself(Panamax M4300-EX) has a ground lug so I made another ground wire(now up to 3) and no difference. So, this is as good as it will get and that's fine. Thanks again for all the help, tunes are sounding much better :)
    Yep, my name really is Bob
    Yeah, so your hum/noise is due to circuit &/or power supply, it seems.

One other thing you could try if you get really, really bored (and if you haven't) is to either open circuit the inputs (no cables installed) or (probably better short the inputs (shorting plugs or cables with both leads connected together) and see what the "absolute" noise level of the preamp is. Shorting the inputs would isolate the preamp pretty well, such that any noise you hear is from the preamp (or - it is still possible - being induced into it from external EMI sources).

High gain vacuum tube circuits have a tendency to be noisy. Even solid state circuits aren't immune from the hiss of "shot noise" at high gain.

I will close by mentioning that even I ultimately settled on a (gasp!) solid state phono preamp at my house. :|

kqywwktgvrn5.png

(legacy photo of an experiment with the aforementioned ss phono preamp & Silk SUTs -- and plenty of clipleads!)

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,711
    Doc...you're gonna burn your house down one day.....Safety First! :p
    Point taken, your being a pro & all... but, in my defense, everything there is low voltage DC (well, other than the audio signals, which are AC on the order of 100s of microvolts on the "innie" side & a volt or so on the outie side).

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 915
    Wow, an "innie" AND an "outie" @mhardy6647 you must be proud :p
2»