Looking at doing a second tube amp build...

I am thinking of doing another tube amp build after the holidays, and going BIG once again. They will be based off of my previous build but have 4 pairs of KT120’s (8 power tubes) instead of 6. There will be no granite harmed in the construction of the new set, but I will be looking to embellish them with a level of quality to go along with the performance.

This set is still in the very early stages of planning, but it should be a fun project.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Is Bob Carver going to be involved with the new set ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I don’t think so, at least to the level he was the first time. I will be asking questions for sure. I will be working from basically the same basic schematic, but adding the needed changes for then second pair of tubes. I will also be installing meters on the front of these this time, and using larger power caps.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Why not base them off those newer power tubes or would you need a whole new ground up design?
  • nooshinjohn
    What tube are you talking about?

• nooshinjohn
    I could use those as well...

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    watch the video I didn't know that the Russians were not doing their due diligence. Prima Luna basically states the same on their site.
  • nooshinjohn
    Been searching for inspiration for the new build, and so far I am drawing a blank on it. I love the look and feel of my current amps so much that I feel they will be hard to beat. I am thinking of going after a 1930’s Art Deco feel for them and perhaps taking some design cues from Ettore Bugatti, and Gordon Buerig...

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    If the appearance is what you are trying to decide then forget other designs. Do your own thoughts, but definitely make sure the electronics are 100%. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Found it... don't have a clue on the meters yet, but I like the look.

tpp7tdlxylgf.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    Just to update... I have finalized the look I am going for on these new amps, and granite is back on the table, but will be used on the front and sides instead of on top. The middle will be set with a large VU meter set behind silver toned smoked glass. I should be able to start posting some pictures sometime in September.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    This just an aesthetics upgrade using the same schematics as last time, or a total redesign inside and out?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    A small redesign

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    A small redesign

"A Few Small Repairs" :)

95rr6p9nsewh.png
  • nooshinjohn
    LOL... My original amps are performing very well 7 years later, but I have the itch to upgrade, and can't afford to buy anything that comes even close to what I have now.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    You gonna snag your transformers from Bob again?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    No... Bob gets his from the same place I will be sourcing mine, and they will be the same ones used as last time.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Interested, looking forward to seeing it.
    Best of luck, but I know you will do an awesome job.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    DSkip wrote: »
    Reach out to Robert at Star Sound Technology and tell him I referred you. Tell him what you are doing and he might be able to help you make the chassis and construction work for you instead of against you. He is not a circuit guy but he understands vibrations and resonance.

I have absolutely zero vibration now, and the new chassis will be more robust than the first amps. Thanks for the lead. I may give him a call, but I don't think there will be much he can offer that has not already been considered.

• mhardy6647
    LOL... My original amps are performing very well 7 years later, but I have the itch to upgrade, and can't afford to buy anything that comes even close to what I have now.

Yup, that's why I DIY/scrounge. Dollar for dollar, it's the way to go if one can do it, as far as I am concerned.

PS Your "A small redesign" comment just, for some reason, put me in mind of that Shawn Colvin album title :) Absolutely no logic operating on my part at all! ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    The small redesign is basically cosmetic, and the addition of two more power tubes per channel

• nooshinjohn
    An update... I have decided to go with a twin chassis monoblock layout, separating the power section from the output section. It will still be 8 power tubes, but the new chassis will allow me to locate the bias/output meter and the 12ax7, 12att and the 6al7 to the new chassis and give a better look to the whole. Granite will again be used, but will be a blue pearl color this time with midnight blue transformer covers and satin nickel trim.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Dibs on the old stuff! JK. I'd never be able to afford it...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    How so?

• nooshinjohn
    My current amps are made with granite as well and are anything but cold and sterile....

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Doesn't high-end amp sellers place their tube amps on elevated granite stands?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    You have no idea what those amps are capable of. I'm sure they are fine as is, but why settle for 'fine'?

I built them but I have know idea what they are capable of? You have never been in the room with them, never heard them, and are going to tell me that I am wrong or missing something?

Excuse me while I have a good laugh....

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2019
    Granite is very ring-y.
    It's consequently a lousy turntable plinth material.
    How that would translate to an amplifier is unknown to me; certainly could be a problem with any tubes prone to microphonics, though, I would think.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Try mounting them on a 2" thick rug of beaver fur. THAT would be awesome!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    Your arrogance is absurd John. Forgive me for trying to actually elevate your experience. Keep thinking you know it all. I don’t have to hear your amps to know there is massive potential being left on the table.

I like you Skip and have nothing against you, but would it not also be ignorance to assume you know more about what I have built than I do? And then rather than shoot me a pm or something to discuss, you then show your emergent arrogance by basically calling me a fool in my own thread? This was done to me back in the original thread I had when I started the first build back before you had a clue what high end audio was.

I am proud of you and what you have accomplished in such a short span of time... I truly am. What I build, I build for me and nobody else, so if I am getting all of what I want from it, who bloody cares.