2-channel imaging

rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
edited November 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Listening to a digital track from a familiar live jam band who I know where each musician is on stage I can isolate their position and is prevalent on solos. Today I switched out an amp using the same speaker and rca cables. For some reason it sounds if the keyboardist has moved to the other side of the stage. What could cause this? I am sure it must be something I did?
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Answer ✓
    You've got a left and right cable switched.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    Answer ✓
    ... or there's something funny about the particular digital track that the OP listened to today compared to whatever version he/she is familiar with...
    or there's a "STEREO NORMAL/REVERSE" switch somewhere that got flipped (on a preamp or feature-laden integrated component... the kind of thing a 1978 Marantz or McIntosh would've touted as a feature ;))?

Just spitballin' here...

Answers

• Yep, cable was it. Feeling behind my gear I logically connected and followed my cables but the P5 bypass R was on the left..
    Thanks,
    RB
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Happens to all of us sooner or later.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Yeah, I didn't like that about the P5
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    That is why I like a balance knob on my receiver......... I was looking at one preamp and they mentioned it didn't have one. Quit thinking about it immediately.

You will be surprised of the number of speaker problems you can diagnose with the balance, treble, and base knobs.