Keep or Return - CSI A6 damaged in shipping

ArsenalFCArsenalFC Posts: 37
edited November 9 in Speakers
Hi all,

I found a CSI A6 last week on ebay via a private seller that came at a good price ($150 + free S&H). It turns out he didn't have the original box and used a combination of bubble wrap and air pouches within a larger cardboard box. The cardboard box was dented in a few places but it didn't look too bad.

Once I got it open and unwrapped, I found three areas of damage. Both powerports were cracked/broken and there's damage to one of the corners of the speaker itself. I lightly shook the speaker and it sounded like there was a small piece of something in there floating around. I'm speculating it was a small piece of powerport.

I did hook it up temporarily and looped it in with the rest of my system and it sounded pretty good.

That being said. Would you return the speaker outright or entertain keeping it for a reduced cost?

Is it possible to find replacement powerports for this speaker? Is there much risk for internal component damage that I wouldn't have seen?

As always, your thoughts and input are welcome and appreciated.

wxei6ql4ulwb.jpg
sge8gdgowqy1.jpg
zjy73jtn9d5u.jpg

Comments

• DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,531
    I'm picky about the appearance of my gear, so that would be getting returned if I'd received it in that condition. Where are you placing the speaker? Will the damage be visible?
  • ArsenalFCArsenalFC Posts: 37
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'm picky about the appearance of my gear, so that would be getting returned if I'd received it in that condition. Where are you placing the speaker? Will the damage be visible?

It'll be sitting on top of the entertainment center (exposed on the sides but with a wall behind it), which is why I'd really like to replace the powerports. The one nick on the wood is certainly not ideal, but if this ends up being $75 it may be worth putting up with that imperfection so long as it sounds great.
  • NotaSuvNotaSuv Posts: 2,408
    send back you'll find another...that one port looks pretty chewed up
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,795
    return it.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,519
    Tell the seller its a wash. He will lose money by having it shipped back. It's toast.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,131
    Return it. Why pay that much for a damaged product.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Panasonic BDT460, DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk TSX250C
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S30
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,608
    That's just terrible.

Yep, return it.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,644
    Return it.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,135
    Return it. The seller is an idiot for packing it that way.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. Clear consensus is a return. I think the only way I keep them is if it's effectively free for me to do so. Either way I'd be looking to replace it shortly.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,519
    That was my point. Shipping will be about $50 and you'll want to package it better which might cost another $15-20. He'd be lucky to get it back and have any value in it for him so I'd consider it a wash if I were in his shoes.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • TNTsTunesTNTsTunes Posts: 438
    DSkip wrote: »
    That was my point. Shipping will be about $50 and you'll want to package it better which might cost another $15-20. He'd be lucky to get it back and have any value in it for him so I'd consider it a wash if I were in his shoes.

If he gets it for free, can get the broken powerport parts cheap enough and live with the crunched corner after a quick touch up it might be worth using. It all depends on how he feels about the appearance and if it still sounds good..

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

if the sell wants to refund some or all of the cost and not ship it back the yes replace the power ports and take a hot iron to the corner and try to flatten it out a bit.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Old sony 12" Sub
    A hot iron will cause even more damage.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,475
    If you get all your money back, Polk may be able to sell you a new cabinet and the power ports for about the same money you will get back. Just swap the drivers and crossover to the new one and you will be golden.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

F1nut wrote: »

With veneer it's hit and miss, One cheap stuff I've had luck others I should have never tried. It's already dinged so it might be worth a try.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Old sony 12" Sub
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 476
    Return it via a torpedo tube aimed directly at the seller's skull for being such a dumb-a$$.
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
    mrloren wrote: »

With veneer it's hit and miss, One cheap stuff I've had luck others I should have never tried. It's already dinged so it might be worth a try.

The corner is crushed, the MDF cabinet seam is split, the lacquer is cracked and chipped with pieces of veneer missing. The only thing worth trying is tossing it in a dumpster.

• headrottheadrott Posts: 5,023
    edited November 11

^^^^^I would take Jesse's (F1nut) advice. He won't steer you wrong, especially regarding wood. (OK, NOT that wood..... :D )^^^^^
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
    edited November 11
    headrott wrote: »

^^^^^I would take Jesse's (F1nut) advice. He won't steer you wrong, especially regarding wood. (OK, NOT that wood..... :D )^^^^^

I totally agree..... as I am just a novice woodworker. The hot iron worked on some Ikea stuff. other stuff it just made it worse a lot worse.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Old sony 12" Sub
    edited November 11
    headrott wrote: »

I totally agree..... as I am just a novice woodworker. The hot iron worked on some Ikea stuff. other stuff it just made it worse a lot worse.

That's a technique for helping to swell shallow dents or scratches on raw wood. It will not work if there is a finish on the wood. Say you have a shallow dent, place just enough water in the dent to fill it. Let that soak in for 5 or 10 minutes. Fill again if needed. Then wet a towel, which should be big enough that the iron doesn't overlap. Place the wet towel over the dent and with the iron set to high heat press the tip area down firmly on the towel trying to keep it centered over the dent. Do this for a few seconds at a time looking at the dent in between to see how things are progressing. Sometimes the dent will come level and sometimes it simply isn't as deep as it was. When you think it's as good as it will get dry the wood with a dry towel and let the piece air dry for at least 24 hours before doing anything else. Of course, this will raise the grain, so light sanding will be required after the wood is dry.

I should add that this works a lot better on solid wood verses veneer as veneer is extremely thin with the adhesive and substrate playing a big role.
    Post edited by F1nut on

Yes I knew about using an iron on raw wood. Couple years ago a friend was showing me how to use the iron on Ikea junk and it worked. I've tried it a few times and it worked on the cheap stuff but on better veneers it made it worse.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Front High TC80i

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270