Twisted Pear Releases ES Sabre 9028/9038 DAC Boards

SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,563
edited November 5 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
p2poln0mbki5.jpg

I still enjoy the DIY Twisted Pear Buffalo III ES Sabre 9018 DAC I built in 2012 immensely, but it’s time to move on and up. I was considering buying a DAC with the new ES Sabre chip however Twisted Pear finally, after a year and a half, released their ES Sabre 9028/9038 DAC boards. The 9028 is a simpler stereo DAC while the 9038 can be made into an 8 channel DAC or summed for two channel stereo.

I like Twisted Pear for many reasons. They make every DAC chip setting available so you can optimize the DAC for your application. They strive to optimize each performance area of the DAC for maximum sound quality by using high quality voltage regulation. There are four regulators that attach to the DAC board. They make high quality I/V output boards and power supplies. Their stuff sounds good.

pqjawr6fvhhu.jpg

I pre-ordered a 9028 as it can be used with the previous TP I/V output boards. The 9028 has a higher current output than the 9018 chip, while the 9038 has four times the current output so it requires a new I/V board that can handle the high current. The new output board soon to be released is called Mercury, and it will work with the 9028. I’ll get one of those too.

h3eysfn3d8nw.png

Per Russ White of TP…

“There is a lot of greatness in these two new chips. First the over-sampling filters and IIR filter are much improved over the ES9018 - and I am not overstating this - you will absolutely hear the difference between the various filters and you can select the one that work the best for your particular application or taste. The new DACs have the following filters:”

8X FIR filters:
• Brickwall
• Hybrid fast roll-off minimum phase
• Apodizing fast roll-off linear phase
• Slow roll-off minimum phase
• Fast roll-off minimum phase (default)
• Slow roll-off linear phase
• Fast roll-off linear phase

(The 9018 only had two filters, Fast and Slow roll off).

8X IIR filters @ 44.1Khz:
• 1.5874fs - 70K
• 1.3605fs - 60K
• 1.1338fs - 50K
• 1.0757fs - 47.44K(default)

The DAC ships Nov 12. I’ve been working a lot of OT so I’m a dud on weekends. Hopefully this will get me back to the bench. I’ll have to build a new PS for the DAC board as the current power supplies would be maxed out for the 9028. I'm only building a single instead of dual mono in part due to expense and complexity. (The 9028 DAC board costs $459). Maybe, someday...

I’ll also have to build a new Arduino shield for an Arduino Due for control of the 9028 DAC. My current Arduino Uno does not have the memory to run the new software required. Arduino control gets you away from dipswitch settings to on the fly changes via remote control. You can also change inputs via remote.

Fortunately Dimitris Dimitrakoudis in Greece, AKA DimDim (a screen name that doesn’t fit) makes an Arduino shield and wrote code for it. His code is written for a large 3.2” or 4.3” TFT display. A shield is a circuit board and basically means much less wiring to the display it is attached to.

ouhuckos6rvy.jpg

79zoe80cvhq0.jpg

Diyaudio links
TP 9028/9038
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/313476-introducing-buffalo-iii-se-pro-9028-9038-a.html

Diyaudio introducing Mercury

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/314401-introducing-mercury-achieving-escape-velocity.html

DimDim’s blog Arduino control
http://www.dimdim.gr/arduino/tft-hifiduino-pro-project/

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• agfrostagfrost Posts: 1,978
    All hail the return of the solder-slinger!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (Thanks Rich!) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,563
    Didn't you volunteer to help with this build?

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,519
    Glad to see you doing this Rick. The new chips are a big jump if implemented correctly. I don't think that will be an issue in your unit.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • schwarcwschwarcw Posts: 7,117
    edited November 5
    I love to watch the progress on Rich's projects. This one promises to be very interesting. Good luck Rich I know this will take some time to develop. I am looking forward to the pictures from breadboard to everything cased in a custom box with a shiny faceplate.
    Carl

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,806
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I love to watch the progress on Rich's projects. This one promises to be very interesting. Good luck Rich I know this will take some time to develop. I am looking forward to the pictures from breadboard to everything cased in a custom box with a shiny faceplate.

So true Carl.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,812
    @SCompRacer

Rich: As with most things you do, I will follow this thread with much excitement, understanding little, if any, of it, yet marveling at the craftsmanship shown through the build...

I swear you and @ALL212 are twins separated at birth as his stuff looks "almost" as good as yours :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,026
    Thanks for he heads up Rich. It has been a while since I have checked the TwistedPear website. I will be getting a Buff IIse pro card. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I am also looking to replace my BAT VK200 (heavily modified amp) with a BAT VK-255se amp, which will cost as much as 4,235.00. That is ano small amount for me, but I feel it's time as I have used the VK-200 for about 4 years now. While the VK-200 works absolutely perfectly (and sounds great!), I still feel it's time to move on from it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 1,978
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Didn't you volunteer to help with this build?

If I were just a few miles closer I'd be happy to hang out and soak up whatever knowledge I could.

Heck I've got a couple projects I'd like your advice on...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (Thanks Rich!) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
    headrott wrote: »
    While the VK-200 works absolutely perfectly (and sounds great!), I still feel it's time to move on from it.

Well if you got an itch, you have to scratch it! Nice amp upgrade.

I'm still happy with all my present gear. The DAC is the only thing I am interested in upgrading.

Currently I use balanced out with the Legato. I lifted the balanced ground so no common mode DC, no more caps in output stage. That was the only disadvantage to the Legato discrete output, common mode DC between ground and pos balanced, ground and neg balanced. The Krell shuts down with any hint of DC.

agfrost wrote: »
    If I were just a few miles closer I'd be happy to hang out.....

Want me to move closer? lol