List of odd ball Polk speakers

FestYboy
FestYboy Posts: 3,861
edited November 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I just came across one I've never seen before: LF14
tycqnhsxsr0t.png

Now I'm curious as to what else is out there. I have (or will soon) 4s, 5JRs, 5s, 7s, 9s, 10s, 11s, 11Ts, RTA 12Bs, mini monitors, and SDA-CRS. That's all normal except the minis and 9s, but what about the weird stuff?? Like the M6 subwoofer... What else is out there?

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Are you going to buy the LF14 ?

And is the M6 a Accelerometer style ? or did it go with the M3's and M5's ?

I had one that said that ( I think ) where the ( 8"x2 ..? ) speakers were inside the box and it put out tremendous bass that pressurized my man-cave. I wish I had kept that one ! :'( It was the only one I've ever seen or heard of . Probably a rarity too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    Yeah I'm slated to get it tomorrow.

The M6 I'm familiar with is a dual 8 or 10 sub that may or may not have come with satellites (M2)?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I used to own an LF14 (FWIW). Donated it Polk -- or at least I tried to. I don't know what ever finally happened to it. Last I saw of it, it was in the back of Dorokusai's pickup truck, heading south outta Westminster, MD :)

10729919005_c06dcb86a5_b.jpgDSC_1150 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • FestYboy
    Opinions? Thoughts? Why did you let it go?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I used to own an LF14 (FWIW). Donated it Polk -- or at least I tried to. I don't know what ever finally happened to it. Last I saw of it, it was in the back of Dorokusai's pickup truck, heading south outta Westminster, MD :)

10729919005_c06dcb86a5_b.jpgDSC_1150 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Dang, I woulda PAID a few bucks to keep them from leaving town!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited November 2017
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Why do some passives bubble up like this? Can it be prevented?

Early versions had a foam like covering. Later versions were a harder plastic type that didn't bubble. I believe the foam versions, foam was the weight. Later plastic like from had the weight in the back styrofoam.
    That is my take anyway. The bubbles look unsightly but has no effect on sound
    And no it can't be prevented that I know of.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Opinions? Thoughts? Why did you let it go?

Because he was giving them to Polk HQ as its a slightly rare bird and would be a perfect addition to their little history of Polk speakers display they have..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    Thanks. I couldn't have put it better myself.
  • FestYboy
    Fair enough.

Anything else out there? I noticed there's no schematic for the M9s I have... Could there be others not listed?
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2017
    The original Model Nine wouldn't have any schematic because it used "no electrical crossovers"! :) The CTS drivers run fullrange, and the Motorola (later also CTS) KSN1005 piezo tweeter could be its own crossover (even if that's not the best way to use 'em) -- and that's what Polk did (according to their own brochure).

uyokdorzhw15.png
    source: https://polksda.com/pdfs/ModelNineManual.pdf

The Model 9A used the Peerless tweeter in lieu of the Motorola piezo, though, so these do have crossovers. How curious are you about them? I can take a look at the ones I have downstairs.

I don't have a pair of Model Nines, "unfortunately" ;)

The ones I'd like to have a pair of are the original (trapezoidal) Mini-Monitors.
    Actually, while we're fantasizing, I'd like a pair of the original Monitor 4s, too, with the Peerless tweeters.

EDIT: PS, if you want any of the 'real' CTS (ex-Motorola) piezos, as opposed to the cheapjack knockoffs, you can (ostensibly) get 'em at: http://www.usspeaker.com/cts index-1.htm

Piezos are not, contrary to common opinions, intrinsically horrible -- they just need to be used judiciously. E.g., put an 8 or 10-ohm resistor across 'em so they look more like a loudspeaker driver voice coil load, and use them with a high-pass crossover well above their own 'intrinsic' XO frequency (which, if memory serves, is ca. 4 kHz).
  • FestYboy
    I have the 9As AND the minis, both with the peerless :# working on a pair or 2 of 4s in the near future. The minis need surrounds unfortunately, and the 9s driver surrounds were coated with something that doesn't look factory, even though the PO stated they were never touched (they were, given the fact that the grills we're glued on where the Velcro should have been).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Early versions had a foam like covering. Later versions were a harder plastic type that didn't bubble. I believe the foam versions, foam was the weight. Later plastic like FRONT had the weight in the back styrofoam.

Fixed it

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2017

Early versions had a foam like covering. Later versions were a harder plastic type that didn't bubble. I believe the foam versions, foam was the weight. Later plastic like FRONT had the weight in the back styrofoam.

Fixed it

I think you're dead-on vis-a-vis those flat foam-faced PRs, FWIW.

10730024924_0f9548f89d_b.jpgDSC_1151 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

10730024914_b41f04ebd8_b.jpgDSC_1157 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    IT'S GOT SWITCHES..... NOBODY TOLD ME IT HAD SWITCHES.....
  • mhardy6647
    I gotcher switches right here, bub!

;)

10730225563_e71aff4c90_b.jpgDSC_1159 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • FestYboy
    edited November 2017
    Picked up the LF14, it's officially the tightest sealed Polk I've experienced. The MWs take forever to retract with the PR pushed in.
    And it's never been touched!
  • Tony M
    ^^^^^^...NICE !!!

You make me want one or two .
  • Doc,nice finish on the cabinets. Is it the same faux rosewood vinyl as on the M7s I used to have ?
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    Doc,nice finish on the cabinets. Is it the same faux rosewood vinyl as on the M7s I used to have ?

Yup -- and it matched my 7As (with which it was used for some years) :)

• mhardy6647
    9606201717_d3fb6c6688_z.jpgearlypolkfamilyportrait by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not exactly "oddball" but historically somewhat significant: the first production version of the "Monitor Series" Models 7 and 10 differed from later ones: The originals had uncoated paper PRs, and the original 7 used an 8" (rather than 10") PR.

I have a somewhat grungy but functional pair of original series Model 10 (somewhere); I'd like to have a pair of the original Model 7, too (but haven't stumbled across any).

11208619575_674f036d9b_b.jpgP1020559 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • FestYboy
    edited November 2017
    I'm fortunate enough to have a pair of those (7s) as well with boxes.

@Tony M , I'm with you on that... But I suspect I'll have to build the second one due to their rarity. Maybe someone at Polk HQ has production volume numbers so we could see what else is out there?

@DSkip , do you have any pics of the 4s you speak of? Those grabbed my interest.
  • Tony M
    You have the one box to go by if you want dimensions. And you can take the passive and speakers out to see any bracing placements.

BUT...replicating that back plate for wire connections and then the cross-over design seems to be a monumental endeavor.

Trey could do it and another one or two on this forum also could do it but I doubt it would be cheap. They do professional work for sure and maybe you can attempt it yourself.

You've got a rare sub/center Polk for sure. I see them come up for sale once in a blue moon.

Congrats again on a great find as far as I'm concerned.
  • FestYboy
    Yeah that's the goal: build a second with factory parts save for the cup, which I'll have to sacrifice an SDA cup to get close I think (maybe). Or I thought about repurposing an RTA 12 box... But I don't think the dimensions are quite the same.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    "@DSkip , do you have any pics of the 4s you speak of? Those grabbed my interest."

I had a pair of the 4's with the Peerless tweeter. Paid $19 for them. Rebuilt the c/o's, put on some nice veneer and then gave them to my daughter's (at the time) boyfriend as a college graduation present. Have seen them pop up for sale now and again but generally priced way more than I want to spend.xehz4qkidenn.jpg
    18f6yokzatkt.jpg
    eqptwrh0jzf1.jpg
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited November 2017
    Danger, Will Robinson:

10730024914_b41f04ebd8_b.jpg

10730225563_e71aff4c90_b.jpg
    According to the text, ("Stereo Pair Operation, #3) the jumper wire is connected across the wrong terminals. As is, the jumper position will result in a dead short when the mode switch is pushed down.
  • mhardy6647
    Yup -- it was just stuck in there for transport; I only noticed that long afterwards. :pensive:
  • FestYboy
    Faustin wrote: »
    "@DSkip , do you have any pics of the 4s you speak of? Those grabbed my interest."

I had a pair of the 4's with the Peerless tweeter. Paid $19 for them. Rebuilt the c/o's, put on some nice veneer and then gave them to my daughter's (at the time) boyfriend as a college graduation present. Have seen them pop up for sale now and again but generally priced way more than I want to spend.xehz4qkidenn.jpg
    18f6yokzatkt.jpg
    eqptwrh0jzf1.jpg

Wow, I always read those as 1g 4s... I'll have to keep an eye out.
  • FestYboy
    Ok, so the hunt begins!!!