Want to replace my elect. panel and breakers

This has been on my to do list for years. I'm very lucky my house hasn't burned down.
I know the history of the Federal Pacific breakers. House is frame construction built in 1957 1850 sf on main plus 800+ finished basement. Gas heat. I'm thinking a 200 amp panel. I have copper wiring, not aluminum. Looking for a brand recommendation from the electricians here. Thanks, you guys are great!s4ee8aw8yp1k.jpg

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Square D Homeline

Everything in the 200 amp main in the garage and the 100 amp sub in the basement.
    The bonus is that it is a brand literally all of the big box home improvement stores keep in stock.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If I were going to replace my breaker box, I would go with G.E.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Both are good recommendations. You need to ditch the Edison fuse boxes and wiggle the circuits into the new panel board.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Do you ever plan on using a generator? If so, I would recommend a gen ready panel. I had my main panel changed so I could use a genny and chose any circuit in the panel.

Reliance make a some nice panels, the TTV2005 is a 36 circuit, 200A panel with a 50A generator circuit, you can get panels with or without watt meters but they are highly recommended...you could always add meters if you dont get a panel with them incorporated.

This way you dont need to add an 8, 12 or 16 circuit panel for only dedicated circuits....you choose any circuit in the main panel.

With the labor Involved in swapping a panel, IMO, it's really the way to go if you ever want a generator.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    If you're upgrading everything anyway, add a whole house surge protector in the main
    panel.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Might as well run some dedicated circuits to your audio.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • If you’re upgrading from 100a you’re likely going to have to replace your drop cable to a heavier gauge.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    If you’re upgrading from 100a you’re likely going to have to replace your drop cable to a heavier gauge.

Local power company is responsible for this action. It also may be to cost prohibitive, when i upgrading mine i also wanted to go 200 amp. The power company told me in order to be able to do that they would need to string a pretty good distance of new cable and transformer IIRC. The cost to me to upgrade the infrastructure was out of bounds.

My buddy just bought his dream house in the country well until he found out it only had 60amp service to the house. It quickly became a very expensive acquisition.

These are things that most do not think or research when buying a house.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If you’re upgrading from 100a you’re likely going to have to replace your drop cable to a heavier gauge.

Local power company is responsible for this action. It also may be to cost prohibitive, when i upgrading mine i also wanted to go 200 amp. The power company told me in order to be able to do that they would need to string a pretty good distance of new cable and transformer IIRC. The cost to me to upgrade the infrastructure was out of bounds.

My buddy just bought his dream house in the country well until he found out it only had 60amp service to the house. It quickly became a very expensive acquisition.

Im surprised, the local PC is usually responsible for everything from the pole to the POA (point of attachment). Everything else is on the owner, but even so, that seems pretty extreme. PSEG (formerly LIPA, formerly LILCO) dictates what type of service drop they require, NEC goes out the window. I've installed 200A (2/O copper) services that were tied in with #2 Al triplex cable. They say as long as it's in free air it's ok... I guess you just have to do the research.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    This has been on my to do list for years. I'm very lucky my house hasn't burned down.
    I know the history of the Federal Pacific breakers. House is frame construction built in 1957 1850 sf on main plus 800+ finished basement. Gas heat. I'm thinking a 200 amp panel. I have copper wiring, not aluminum. Looking for a brand recommendation from the electricians here. Thanks, you guys are great!s4ee8aw8yp1k.jpg

Junk. I was nearly electrocuted by a FP breaker when I was a tech.
    Square D is generally more expensive, but worth it. GE also good, and less expensive.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2017
    polrbehr wrote: »

Im surprised, the local PC is usually responsible for everything from the pole to the POA (point of attachment). Everything else is on the owner, but even so, that seems pretty extreme. PSEG (formerly LIPA, formerly LILCO) dictates what type of service drop they require, NEC goes out the window. I've installed 200A (2/O copper) services that were tied in with #2 Al triplex cable. They say as long as it's in free air it's ok... I guess you just have to do the research.

That is what i meant. If you have a 60amp or 100amp wire service coming to your house. Can't upgrade to 200amp service without upgrading that. At least that was what I was told about 30yrs ago when we had bought the house and bank made us upgrade the fuse panel to breakers and i asked for the 200amp box.

Well after i had the new box done(approx 15yrs ago) they came out and run new wires to most houses in my neighborhood. Old drops no longer met code.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I am waiting to hear back from my electrician. I like the idea of adding a surge protector in the panel. I really don't have the need for a generator circuit in panel, but that's a neat feature, I'll check on the cost. I like Square D as well, they had a plant in Lincoln, NE.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Good thread. I need to upgrade my panel as well.

I really don't have the need for a generator circuit in panel, but that's a neat feature, I'll check on the cost

Everybody needs to be prepared for a generator... never know when zombies,(lightman for those in Rio Linda) will come knocking.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2

I really don't have the need for a generator circuit in panel, but that's a neat feature, I'll check on the cost

Everybody needs to be prepared for a generator... never know when zombies,(lightman for those in Rio Linda) will come knocking.

Ooooo he knocks new one on me
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

Ooooo he knocks new one on me
    He’s a classy Neanderthal....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Here's a pic of the 200A panel with a gen circuit. Comes with mechanical interlock for main breaker in which your local poco generally requires.

qiq6j5j0dxwu.jpg

If you lose power, shut off the main, lift the interlock, then turn on the gen breaker. At this point your entire panel can be used with the generator as well as load balancing each phase with the load meters. You just need to purchase a capable generator for what you plan on powering.

It's not something you will utilize many times, but it's quite reassuring it's there.
  • Gmcman, I like the idea of the owner manually engaging the interlock to transfer over to the generator.
    I have a question about the Reliance panel. What type breakers does it use ?
    I ask because I seem to recall that FPE was bought out by Reliance a while back and it's pretty well understood that FPE breakers suck, in a major way, as in burn your house down.
    Reliance sued FPE for fraud/? when they discovered how faulty their breakers were.

FPE and Zinsco are two types to avoid at almost all costs.
    Sal Palooza