THank You F1nut

2»

Comments

• SchurkeySchurkey Posts: 1,712
    ...which then makes us all wonder about "home theater" with multiple pairs of speakers.

Even if they're powered, those cones are still reacting to the pressure pulses of the other speakers. I bet a person could connect an oscilloscope to the driver(s), and sort-out the drive signal the speakers are expected to reproduce, AND still see the ambient noise those drivers are picking up like a microphone diaphragm.

A guy could go crazy in this hobby. Which is probably why so many of us are crazy.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,879
    Schurkey wrote: »
    ...which then makes us all wonder about "home theater" with multiple pairs of speakers.

Even if they're powered, those cones are still reacting to the pressure pulses of the other speakers. I bet a person could connect an oscilloscope to the driver(s), and sort-out the drive signal the speakers are expected to reproduce, AND still see the ambient noise those drivers are picking up like a microphone diaphragm.

A guy could go crazy in this hobby. Which is probably why so many of us are crazy.

I lost my mind a long time ago...nothing to go crazy with now...speaking of which...if anyone sees my mind....reward offered for it's safe and documented disposal!
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • warrenwarren Posts: 542
    If I had to do it all over again, I’d be an electrical engineer.. I’m so confused..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,029
    Once a woofer is connected to an amplifier and that amplifier is turned on it is effectively connected to a short. This illustrates what damping factor is trying to do, create a very low impedance whenever there's no audio signal. The combination of low resistance speaker wire and a low impedance output stage effectively shorts out any extraneous woofer cone movement caused by the cone's inertia or external bass vibrations. In those fractions of a second where there's no audio signal coming into the woofer its voice coil is shorted out by the low impedance of the amplifier.
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
2»