THank You F1nut

2»

Comments

• SchurkeySchurkey Posts: 1,770
    ...which then makes us all wonder about "home theater" with multiple pairs of speakers.

Even if they're powered, those cones are still reacting to the pressure pulses of the other speakers. I bet a person could connect an oscilloscope to the driver(s), and sort-out the drive signal the speakers are expected to reproduce, AND still see the ambient noise those drivers are picking up like a microphone diaphragm.

A guy could go crazy in this hobby. Which is probably why so many of us are crazy.
  • warrenwarren Posts: 619
    If I had to do it all over again, I’d be an electrical engineer.. I’m so confused..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,648
    Once a woofer is connected to an amplifier and that amplifier is turned on it is effectively connected to a short. This illustrates what damping factor is trying to do, create a very low impedance whenever there's no audio signal. The combination of low resistance speaker wire and a low impedance output stage effectively shorts out any extraneous woofer cone movement caused by the cone's inertia or external bass vibrations. In those fractions of a second where there's no audio signal coming into the woofer its voice coil is shorted out by the low impedance of the amplifier.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot
2»