another modest upgrade...

zuulzuul Posts: 106
edited October 28 in 2 Channel Audio
as i've mentioned before in this space all my sources are digital now...

i've recently graduate from this:
thn41lgw5iwi.jpg

to this:
j5i1ul7ddsio.png

when i got the poppulse DAC i was still rocking my adcom setup and hadn't yet gotten the sonic frontiers tube gear... as soon as i did i realized that the little DAC that could was the weak link in the chain... but i also knew that it would be a while before i would be able to do anything about...

in the meantime i read as much as i could about DAC's and chips and DSD and all kinds of stuff having to do with digital audio. A few months ago i knew i would have enough saved by halloween to be able to take it to the next level... so i started shopping around a bit. At first I wasn't going to spend as much i ended up spending... but then i realized my tube gear deserved something worthy of their majesty. Initially I thought about ordering another DAC from Hong Kong as they seem to be on the cutting edge of the technology... but then I decided i wanted to source something locally... my favorite audiophile shop here in town had the TEAC in the lightly used section... i started monitoring it a few months ago... it was on the shelf way longer than they usually keep such things in stock... when it was still available when i actually had $ in hand... i knew it was meant to be.

i just got it hooked up last night and haven't had much time to mess with it. it's way more advanced than the last DAC i had... obviously... one thing i did do immediately was get a digital coaxial cable and run digital out of my OPPO into the new DAC which has 5 digital inputs. of course i've got my mac mini running into the new DAC via usb...

i'm looking forward to spending the weekend with it and taking stock of its sound and capabilities.... although this weekend might be the last nice one for a while up here in the nw and i'm tempted to take a road trip to the coast instead...

if anyone here has or has had a teac ud-501 i'd be curious about your thoughts and experiences...

speakers:
polk 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
polk psw-10
components:
sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
interconnects:
vampire wire
NXG sapphire
monoprice
guzi
ixos
speaker wire
audioquest type 4
power:
rhino 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
vansevers 211 power cord
pangea ac-14 power cord
tubes:
amp: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
pre: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
misc:
subdude subwoofer platform
DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.

Comments

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 1,506
    Looks nice. Eager to hear your thoughts after it's had some time in your system. Looks like you system is coming along pretty nicely.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig