Dreadnought vs AI-1. 800va vs 1000va

What is the purpose,or function,of the dreadnought ? I also see different builds,with either a 800va,or a 1000va transformer,why is that ? I need to either build one,or purchase a built one. Is the original AI-1 any good ?

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,136
    Wrong section.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• msgmsg Posts: 3,394
    I'll take it if F1 passes.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,806
    edited October 26
    bassfann wrote: »
    What is the purpose,or function,of the dreadnought ? I also see different builds,with either a 800va,or a 1000va transformer,why is that ? I need to either build one,or purchase a built one. Is the original AI-1 any good ?

You have been around since 2008, get your search on and read there is a VERY detailed account of the questions you aspire to have answered.
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,498
    $4
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 477
    What's the deal with commas supposedly making a space between words unnecessary??? :p
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,806
    edited October 26
    Viking64 wrote: »
    What's the deal with commas supposedly making a space between words unnecessary??? :p

He's winking at you ;)
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 1,978
    Get your read on. Pictures devoured by the beast called fotobuckit.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/951110#Comment_951110
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (Thanks Rich!) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • bassfannbassfann Posts: 104
    agfrost wrote: »
    Get your read on. Pictures devoured by the beast called fotobuckit.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/951110#Comment_951110

Thanks.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You have been around since 2008, get your search on and read there is a VERY detailed account of the questions you aspire to have answered.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

My being around since 2008,is irrelevant.
    My being around since 2008,is irrelevant.

That,may,well,be,true.
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Oh....and: In with 73.
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
  • xschopxschop Posts: 634
    I think it has something to do with not frying your non-common ground amp, but I haven't been around long enough to confirm that hypothesis.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,481
    F1nut wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    I'll take it if F1 passes.

I,passed,GO,and,collected,$200.00.

And,I,stayed,at,a,Holiday,inn,last,nite,so,what’s,your,point,sir...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,481
    That,image,looks,like,Pacino,playing,Travolta,playing,a,lawyer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Isn'''t,that,Rocky,Montana?
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    At first I thought "Dreadnaught" was a reggae version of Black Sabbath's "Supernaut".
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    I wasn't aware that this group was filled with children. I guess I shouldn't ask questions.
    edited October 31
    I,wasn't,aware,that,this,group,was,filled,with,children. I,guess,I,shouldn't,ask,questions.

Butt-hurt detected.
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    I wasn't aware that this group was filled with children. I guess I shouldn't ask questions.

Butt,hurt,detected.

*fixed
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp

Butt,hurt,detected.

*fixed
    I,wasn't,aware,that,this,group,was,filled,with,children. I,guess,I,shouldn't,ask,questions.

Butt-hurt detected.

Yes..........it hurt my feelings ! I asked a question,and only one person steered me in the right direction. I thought we were here to have discussions about audio. I don't mind banter and ball busting,but you could still answer the question.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,330
    The 800v and 1000v is definitely an upgrade over the A-1
    800v you can by direct with no special. You could wait a year or more for a 1000v on a group by

IMHO...go with an 800v
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers