Wireless vs. Coax & Ethernet cables

Options
As I approach moving our TV room I need to start thinking about which will give the best video and sound quality for both DirectTV and internet access to radio.
If I go wireless there will be a router in the room directly below the new TV room.

Wired vs. wireless....what's better for PQ and SQ?

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Best IMHO is wired in general. Less signal dropout, faster speed. If you cant run wires through the wall, look at Powerline Ethernet extenders.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    This was my initial thought....since of course I completely finished the room below since getting rid of the dining room was never on the radar until now. I wonder is DTV has a wireless receiver
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    DirecTVs wireless receivers are supposed to be good, according to the installer who did mine last year. But a few on here said wired was the way to go, so we ran all new RG6 throughout the house.

To take the case for wired a step further, my router is in the living room, as are all of my HT components (Oppo, PS4, Denon AVR, and Wii-U), and they are all connected with Ethernet even though the wifi signal is in the same room. I did not have to break open any walls to do this, however, so I wouldn't lose any sleep if I had to go wireless... but I'd get the best router I could afford anyway.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    RG6 Quad Shield for video...also compression fittings for terminations..I like LRC's...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Wireless sucks. It's a wonder it even works. I would not try to stream video wireless.
    Go hardwired always no matter what. If you can't get a wire somewhere I'm sure a local Installer can.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    For sound quality I'd stick with wireless as long as your devices can support it.
    Out of sheer curiosity why would you think wireless would sound better then hard wired? I'm puzzled.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have the DirecTV genie wireless system---out of necessity---and find the video quality to be just fine. The remote receivers are a bit slow, but once the HDTV is fired up, it seems fairly responsive.

The new house only had 3 rooms wired RG6, so the genie allowed me a cheap/easy solution for TV on the patio, in the shop, etc. We have cathedral ceilings, and trying to run RG6 in the attic would have been a nightmare.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Skip has a good point,

Me I like hard wire whenever I can. Powerline is good too for most cases. I have a couple in the kids room's and they almost get full speed of my internet connection.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Wireless sucks. It's a wonder it even works. I would not try to stream video wireless.
    Go hardwired always no matter what. If you can't get a wire somewhere I'm sure a local Installer can.

Lots of factors to consider here. But i have a google mesh WiFi system with three stations and 300 Mbps internet. All three stations are hard wired. One station is set up right by the HT. I stream 4K wireless to the 4K tv no problem, picture is amazing.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    DirecTV's wireless Genie Minis work fine. I don't think you can tell a difference between them and the wired version.