EndersShadows FS thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Every set of speakers needs to be calibrated/adusted in a HT rig. I mean, you can plug and play, but you'll never get the best results.
    The day after bringing them home, I just plugged them up and listened to them to make sure there weren't any issues with them during transport, but ended up listening to them for about four hours that morning. This weekend after getting the center in place, I re-calibrated my AVR even though the 703's are on the floor with a slight upward tilt. I just wanted to get an idea of what they were going to sound like with movies. In the past, the only adjustment I've had to make was bumping up the sub level slightly after calibration with the mic, as I've always felt that the calibration program sets the sub level just a bit shy. The one thing I did forget to do, which I've always done in the past is to make sure the AC/Heat is shut off because you can hear the air coming out of the floor registers. I know silence is important during calibration, and there is a possibility the furnace kicked on and threw off the calibration. For now, I'm going to keep a 5.1 channel RTi system for ht and hook the 703's up to zone 2, re-calibrate, making sure the furnace is off.
    dromunds wrote: »
    I was disappointed with my LSiM’s until a lengthy break-in period now very happy. Dont jump the gun
    These were purchased used and are 18 months old. I absolutely love them for music. I guess if they were as bright as I want them for HT, they'd be too bright for music which was my issue with the Rti8's.

I was watching a movie where someone in a helicopter was circling around someone on the ground, shooting at them. (James Bond movie) When that sound hit my F/Xi3's, to me that's how it should have sounded, not being timbre matched when the sound returned to the front three it sounded wrong. Unnatural. Like someone was covering the tweeters with a thick towel. For music, I thought the tweeters were perfect. Spot on. I bought Star Trek The Original Series on Blu-ray last year and since 99% of the sound comes out of the center, I thought that would be a good test for the center, so I tried that. With music, everyone has a certain song or album they use because they are so familiar with what it sounds like. Since I've been watching an episode about every week, I figured I was pretty familiar with what the voices should sound like. Just didn't think they were accurate. Could be a bad calibration.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    PM sent
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Dan, I inadvertently hijacked your thread. Sorry. Repost your stuff for sale at the bottom of this thread. I was just giving your thread a bump, you see...I'm a giver. :smiley:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    22" Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands w spikes ($175):

Speaker stands now 125....

Bump. You won’t find better for the price.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)